E3D V6 and PETG

A place to talk about user-made mods and upgrades to their machines
stonewater
Printmaster!

E3D V6 and PETG

Post by stonewater »

I have been trying to print a large object using PETG (microcenter brand) its an 18 HR print at 40mm. so here is what happens, the firt part of the print has 4 radius sections that form a circle with space in between. about 2 inches up it bridges the 4 gaps and begins printing a complete circle. the thickness of the part is about 30 MM. about 4 hours in the nozzle begins to clog, you can here the extruder skipping as it tears into the PTEG. if I stop the print and let the nozzle sit for a few, I can re extrude again until this last time.

I have tested the hot end with a thermocouple and it is within a 1/2 degree of what the thermistor sees. it had the 40 eat cartridge (red leads) I have tried print speeds from 60 down to 20 mm it still clogs after 4 hrs or so. the last time it stayed clogged. I am printing at 240 have tried retracts from .5mm to 2mm. I know people have had a hard time with PLA and the V6 not sure about PETG.

Tom C
MAX V1
325 MM carbon arms trick trucks effector mount LED ring heat spreader
Corvair750
V6 Hotend
Robo 3D
Flashforge creator
http://WWW.TeslagenX.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; - Bedini experimenter kits, books, DVD's
Eaglezsoar
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Re: E3D V6 and PETG

Post by Eaglezsoar »

stonewater wrote:I have been trying to print a large object using PETG (microcenter brand) its an 18 HR print at 40mm. so here is what happens, the firt part of the print has 4 radius sections that form a circle with space in between. about 2 inches up it bridges the 4 gaps and begins printing a complete circle. the thickness of the part is about 30 MM. about 4 hours in the nozzle begins to clog, you can here the extruder skipping as it tears into the PTEG. if I stop the print and let the nozzle sit for a few, I can re extrude again until this last time.

I have tested the hot end with a thermocouple and it is within a 1/2 degree of what the thermistor sees. it had the 40 eat cartridge (red leads) I have tried print speeds from 60 down to 20 mm it still clogs after 4 hrs or so. the last time it stayed clogged. I am printing at 240 have tried retracts from .5mm to 2mm. I know people have had a hard time with PLA and the V6 not sure about PETG.

Tom C
Is it possible to step up to the next largest size for the nozzle? If you are using a .4 try a .5. I do not know if this will fix the problem but it is something that I would try.
stonewater
Printmaster!

Post by stonewater »

I only have the .4 nozzle but hey its worth a try. will order today.

Tom C
MAX V1
325 MM carbon arms trick trucks effector mount LED ring heat spreader
Corvair750
V6 Hotend
Robo 3D
Flashforge creator
http://WWW.TeslagenX.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; - Bedini experimenter kits, books, DVD's
JFettig
Printmaster!

Post by JFettig »

I have never experienced a jam with PETG so that surprises me a little. Are you sure your nozzle didn't come loose somehow? Its possible that a foreign object got into your nozzle and is clogging it up. I have had that happen a couple times with ABS.

In my experience - PETG does not bridge very well at all.
Neptune
Printmaster!

Post by Neptune »

So I know this thread is a bit old, but I just started using PETG and it is a very finicky beast at best. Prints great at higher speeds, very shiny, strong, extreme layer adhesion, no smell, BUT it oozes something fierce, strings, and at slow speeds gets very..."sparkly/textured".

I have had it clog my nozzle multiple times(.4mm) on my E3D V6 but this was when I tried longer retract lengths at slow speeds <30mm/sec.

Does anyone have a set of config parameters that work generally well. I've been using MakerGeeks PETG and it prints anywhere from 245-260(temps I've tried). Also when you do a wipe, do you have something that you wipe on or with? I've never used that setting but have read people say it crucial for good success with PETG.

As always any help suggestions would be greatly appreciated!
IMBoring25
Printmaster!

Post by IMBoring25 »

Most of my printing with PETG has been dual-extrusion because it sticks to PVA and vice versa, which can't be said so much of ABS, so it's been my go-to higher-temp material for use with soluble support. Between tool changes I have had to wipe it, but it seems pretty clean to me when just making a quick travel move. I do use a short and slow (2mm at 10mm/s) retract, as I do with anything I've put through the v6 so far. The temp I've used is 255, which is in the range of what you've used.

Some slicers can make wipe towers. Some can make tall skirts. I have the notion of a purge canister in the back of my head once I have to disassemble the X axis (on my Mendel) at some point. Slic3r has a function it calls wipe that just moves the nozzle around the infill during the retraction so the blob doesn't all accumulate in one place.
Neptune
Printmaster!

Post by Neptune »

I use S3D for my slicer, not sure how its wipe function works...so I guess I best find that out. Thanks for the advice on the retract settings though!
barry99705
Printmaster!

Post by barry99705 »

My petg settings;
240C
Perimeters 50mm/s
external perimeters 45mm/s
infill 55mm/s
bridges 60mm/s
first layer 30mm/s
retraction 2mm at 20mm/s

Longest print with these settings so far is 19 hours, no issues, some strings, but it's petg, it's going to string.
Never do anything you don't want to have to explain to the paramedics.
Neptune
Printmaster!

Post by Neptune »

barry99705 wrote:My petg settings;
240C
Perimeters 50mm/s
external perimeters 45mm/s
infill 55mm/s
bridges 60mm/s
first layer 30mm/s
retraction 2mm at 20mm/s

Longest print with these settings so far is 19 hours, no issues, some strings, but it's petg, it's going to string.
Thanks barry! Retraction is the toughest part to figure on this stuff.

Anyone else willing to add to the settings pool, its greatly appreciated!
lordbinky
Printmaster!

Post by lordbinky »

Soo... I'm that guy for the retract settings on PETG. The retract itself is 3mm @ 100.0 mm/s with the return at 30 mm/s. The extruder acceleration is also at 1000. The fast retract got rid of my blobs though.
I threw together these for fast tests of the the retract settings.
boxretractioncal.jpg
boxretractioncal.jpg (14.78 KiB) Viewed 12923 times
boxretractioncal-wallonly.jpg
boxretractioncal-wallonly.jpg (15.41 KiB) Viewed 12923 times
Attachments
boxretractioncal.scad
(332 Bytes) Downloaded 238 times
boxretractioncal-wallonly.scad
(487 Bytes) Downloaded 223 times

Return to “Mods and Upgrades”