Trick Trucks - Lightweight Aluminum Carriages by Trick Laser

A place to talk about user-made mods and upgrades to their machines
Motopreserve
Prints-a-lot

Re: Trick Trucks - Lightweight Aluminum Carriages by Trick L

Post by Motopreserve »

I will set them like that when I put the clamps on.

Fan shroud printing now. Incredible to see it go from a box of parts to something making a functional item.

Thanks!
arvidj
Plasticator

Post by arvidj »

Motopreserve wrote:Hey folks. Please forgive me if this has been covered, did a search and didn't see specifically what I was looking for.

I am building my first ROSTOCK V2 (first printer ever), and ordered the trick trucks right out of the gate. I am installing them during the initial build and realized that I don't have the ability to print the belt clamps that Brian linked on his site. Is this a show stopper? Should I install the stock cheapskates for printing these clamps and then make the swap?

I read ahead in the manual and don't see any obvious stock piece that would be added to the trick trucks to clamp these temporarily until I can print the parts. Should I rig up something to hold them temporarily? Running the trucks up and down clearly shows the belts loosening.

Thanks in advance for any advice/help.
mhackney wrote:Great question! Chicken before the egg problem.

I would install the TT and simply use zip ties to tie off the belt. That should work fine. The other option - where are you located? I'm sure one of us could print you 3 and mail them to you. They are very small.
I in the same 'chicken - egg' situation. I just ordered my first printer along with the trick trucks. I'd like to avoid going thru the installation and calibration with the original trucks just to print the belt clips and then 'wash, rinse, repeat' with the trick trucks.

Anyone in the Minneapolis\St. Paul Minnesota area who'd be willing to print a set of the official belt clips?

Thanks,
Arvid
JFettig
Printmaster!

Post by JFettig »

If you send me the file and want to pick them up in maple grove I can print some up.
jram
Printmaster!

Post by jram »

I'm in South Minneapolis, I could print some up for you if you don't mind picking them up.
Machines- Rostock Max v2 with E3D v6, Corsair 750 power supply, PEI bed,injection molded carriages and new arms. Aluminum mount. X carve with x controller. Stratasys Uprint SE
arvidj
Plasticator

Post by arvidj »

jram wrote:I'm in South Minneapolis, I could print some up for you if you don't mind picking them up.
JFettig wrote:If you send me the file and want to pick them up in maple grove I can print some up.
Thanks for the offers. PM sent to both of you.
mhackney
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by mhackney »

These things are tiny and 3 would easily fit in an envelope with normal first class postage. You'll spend more money on gas traveling 10 miles round trip than postage would cost!

Sublime Layers - my blog on Musings and Experiments in 3D Printing Technology and Art

Start Here:
A Strategy for Successful (and Great) Prints

Strategies for Resolving Print Artifacts

The Eclectic Angler
arvidj
Plasticator

Post by arvidj »

mhackney wrote:These things are tiny and 3 would easily fit in an envelope with normal first class postage. You'll spend more money on gas traveling 10 miles round trip than postage would cost!
I agree.

I would have thought they would come with the trucks as they seem to be ...

(a) required as part of the permanent solution
(b) unique to the Trick Laser trucks, unlike the wheels, bearings, etc. that are also required but not included as they are readily available from another source and it makes no sense for Trick Laser to spend time and money duplicating inventory and handling for such ubiquitous items
(c) assume you have access to a working printer to make them.

I understand the engineering requirements for (a) and the ROI for (b) and am resolving the flawed [IMHO] assumption in (c) as best I can. If someone is going to do me a favor I would like to at least shake their hand. I did offer money but it was not accepted. Maybe I should have offered beer :)

Arvid
Nylocke
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by Nylocke »

A and C are both true, but this is an upgrade from the stock machine, so they probably are assuming you already have your MAX built, so printing 3 little clamps should be easy enough.

B isn't actually true, the belt clamp was originally introduced for the stock carriages (at least to the forum). Just seems that Brian preferred to go that route opposed to trying to make a while new belt clamp to replace the stock one.

Nothing of what I said really explains why TL doesn't sell these clamps with the trucks though, it does seem a bit silly, considering I could load up a plate of 60 on my Ultimaker and have them done in 3 hours.
Chrissi
Printmaster!

Re: Trick Trucks - Lightweight Aluminum Carriages by Trick Laser

Post by Chrissi »

Since Trick Laser is not making these Trick Trucks available any more, were they ever open sourced, Github etc? Scan plot, dimensions etc?
...Chrissi

Rostock MAX
http://www.CozyGirrrl.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
geneb
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Re: Trick Trucks - Lightweight Aluminum Carriages by Trick Laser

Post by geneb »

Realistically, there's no need for them. The Trick Truck was built to solve the adjustment difficulty with the melamine Cheap Skate carriages. The current injection molded carriages need no adjustment at all. They grip the t-slot with the correct amount of force due to the design.

g.
Delta Power!
Defeat the Cartesian Agenda!
http://www.f15sim.com - 80-0007, The only one of its kind.
http://geneb.simpits.org - Technical and Simulator Projects

Return to “Mods and Upgrades”