Trick Trucks - Lightweight Aluminum Carriages by Trick Laser

A place to talk about user-made mods and upgrades to their machines
bvandiepenbos
Printmaster!

Re: Trick Trucks - Lightweight Aluminum Carriages by Trick L

Post by bvandiepenbos »

Tonkabot wrote:
mhackney wrote:Brian, the photos on your website show a great alternative - thumbscrews! Where did you find those?
I was looking at tricklaser.com, and could not find the photos you speak of. can you provide me a link so I know what your talking about?
I am in the middle of my tricklaser upgrades and I might want to do that too...
http://www.tricklaser.com/Trick-Trucks- ... TRUCKS.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

look at the 2nd and 4th picture on the product page.
~*Brian V.

RostockMAX v2 (Stock)
MAX METAL "ShortyMAX"
MAX METAL Rostock MAX Printer Frame
NEMESIS Air Delta v1 & v2 -Aluminum delta printers
Rostock MAX "KITT" - Tri-Force Frame
GRABER i3 "Slim"
dtgriscom
Printmaster!

Post by dtgriscom »

Nice, wide tops on those thumbscrews, too; won't have any trouble with the end point moving up and down with rotation.
mhackney
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by mhackney »

My open builds order arrives tomorrow with 1/4" spacers. I think I'll just chuck 6 in the lathe and face them off down to 6mm. Should be just fine and I won't have to wait (or pay) for shipping!

I just finished installing two TrickLaser EZmount Spool Holders. Now I can get my filament management under control!. I need/want 4 extruders to drive my Kraken and I've been doing a makeshift rig for too long. Now I can have 2 extruders and spools top mounted as my primary 1 and 2. And use the two side arm mounts from the original V1 for my 3 and 4 extruders and filament spools. I have these wired with connectors so I can take them off and put them out of the way when not needed.

Sublime Layers - my blog on Musings and Experiments in 3D Printing Technology and Art

Start Here:
A Strategy for Successful (and Great) Prints

Strategies for Resolving Print Artifacts

The Eclectic Angler
Eaglezsoar
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by Eaglezsoar »

Brian, I just checked McMaster Carr and the thumbscrews at 6-32 x 1 1/4" are only available as a stainless thin head model.
Could you be so kind to reference a part number that was used in your pictures? TIA!
bvandiepenbos
Printmaster!

Post by bvandiepenbos »

Eaglezsoar wrote:Brian, I just checked McMaster Carr and the thumbscrews at 6-32 x 1 1/4" are only available as a stainless thin head model.
Could you be so kind to reference a part number that was used in your pictures? TIA!
Hi Eagle,
the thumbscrew head is not included in length so the 1" long ones work just right.
http://www.mcmaster.com/#92421a153/=vea9vc" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
~*Brian V.

RostockMAX v2 (Stock)
MAX METAL "ShortyMAX"
GRABER i3 "Slim"
mhackney
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by mhackney »

Or get a pack of 5 for a lot less at Amazon: search part B001OO2C9S I have some on the way.

Sublime Layers - my blog on Musings and Experiments in 3D Printing Technology and Art

Start Here:

The Eclectic Angler
Eaglezsoar
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by Eaglezsoar »

Thank you Brian and Michael for the links.
bvandiepenbos
Printmaster!

Post by bvandiepenbos »

mhackney wrote:Or get a pack of 5 for a lot less at Amazon: search part B001OO2C9S I have some on the way.
uhmmm, cheaper?
(25) for $12.06 from McMaster
(5) for $8.80 from Amazon

Heads on Amazon ones are 1/4" diameter vs. 3/8" diameter. But they would still work.

Interesting though, never thought of sourcing hardware bits on Amazon. Thanks for the link Michael.
~*Brian V.

RostockMAX v2 (Stock)
MAX METAL "ShortyMAX"
GRABER i3 "Slim"
mhackney
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by mhackney »

Ah, you're right! I was looking at the SS ones at McMaster and they were a couple bucks each.

Start Here:

The Eclectic Angler
Lightpath
Printmaster!

Post by Lightpath »

bvandiepenbos wrote:
mhackney wrote:Or get a pack of 5 for a lot less at Amazon: search part B001OO2C9S I have some on the way.
uhmmm, cheaper?
(25) for $12.06 from McMaster
(5) for $8.80 from Amazon
The shipping from McMaster is pretty steep, IIRC. I ordered the 1" SS ones from Amazon.
mhackney
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by mhackney »

I buy stuff from Amazon and McMaster all the time for my business so I just piggy backed it on. Not sure how much shipping would be for just this one item. I really like the SS ones I got thought, they have a 1/2" long knurled head that is very easy to grip it's "Trick"!
FullSizeRender.jpg

Start Here:

The Eclectic Angler
0110-m-p
Printmaster!

Post by 0110-m-p »

mhackney wrote:I really like the SS ones I got thought, they have a 1/2" long knurled head that is very easy to grip it's "Trick"!
I guess you have "Tricker Trucks" now.
Current Machines || Rostock Max (V1) | V3DR ||
Previous Machines || Flashforge Creator Pro ||
Jimustanguitar
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by Jimustanguitar »

My only thought is that a knurled thumb screw like that might be harder to turn than the ones that Brian found if they're a smaller diameter. I guess it depends on how tapped your holes are and how strong your fingers are.

They sure are pretty, though!
Eaglezsoar
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by Eaglezsoar »

I bought the brass ones and after seeing the SS I realize I prefer them over the brass.
Will be making another purchase.
“ Do Not Regret Growing Older. It is a Privilege Denied to Many. ”
Jimustanguitar
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by Jimustanguitar »

If anybody has one of those "oh crap" moments and takes apart their machine before printing the belt clamps that they'll need to put it back together, I posted them on Shapeways. Hopefully that makes them more accessible to everyone.

http://www.shapeways.com/product/5UYTG3 ... d=55141360" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
mlapaglia
Printmaster!

Post by mlapaglia »

The price seems a bit steep considering it doesn't come with any of the hardware, or is there something I'm not seeing here?
mhackney
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by mhackney »

time=money

I have 2 CNC milling machines, design and mill parts all the time for my fly fishing reel business. I put value on my time.

Let's say I value my time at $50 per hour (it's actually much higher than that). If I spend an hour designing the parts, another 30 minutes cutting and finishing them and then I still have to buy the bearings, Delrin covers, hardware (or add more time to machine the parts I can) I'd say that the price is quite reasonable for a well thought out, attractive and, most importantly, TESTED design. Rarely do I get something right on the first iteration, I bet Brian has a few iterations and design tweaks in this product. to my eyes, it looks refined and well designed and well worth the cost.

Now, if you are on a budget or put a low value on your time OR you call it "hobby time" and don't worry about it, you could probably make something reasonable. But you would still need the hardware pieces like the bearings, etc.

regards,
Michael

Start Here:

The Eclectic Angler
Tonkabot
Printmaster!

Post by Tonkabot »

Jimustanguitar wrote:If anybody has one of those "oh crap" moments and takes apart their machine before printing the belt clamps that they'll need to put it back together, I posted them on Shapeways. Hopefully that makes them more accessible to everyone.

http://www.shapeways.com/product/5UYTG3 ... d=55141360" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I did the oh crap and forgot to print the clamps. So what I did was just glue a 1mmx8mmx8mm square of PLA (cut from a print that wasn't right*) inside each of the plastic rod-end holder thingy. That holds the belts fine.

* not a failed print, but about the 4th in a series of try's to make a new lid for the Coffee grinder. Getting it to fit perfect and engage the safety microswitch was a real challenge. In fact, the 5th print worked pretty good after some trimming with the x-acto knife. of course that was white PLA and turned into a potato chip when the GF washed it, so the 6th print, which is in black ABS is being used now. however it still needs a little tweaking to engage 100% reliably.
Is the ABS going to be dishwasher safe? [ the original fell to the bottom of the dishwasher and landed on the heating element.]
code0100fun
Noob

Post by code0100fun »

Open Builds has a Solid V Wheel kit now. It looks like this is all you need to order to complete the kit correct (get 3 extra spacers also)?
Attachments
Screen Shot 2015-02-02 at 8.27.36 PM.png
0110-m-p
Printmaster!

Post by 0110-m-p »

code0100fun wrote:Open Builds has a Solid V Wheel kit now. It looks like this is all you need to order to complete the kit correct (get 3 extra spacers also)?
They've always had the solid V wheel kit. Problem is that it doesn't come with the correct length bolt (30mm vs. 25mm) for the required spacing, so you would need to buy 9 new bolts as well.
Current Machines || Rostock Max (V1) | V3DR ||
Previous Machines || Flashforge Creator Pro ||
briankb
Printmaster!

Post by briankb »

Perhaps a stupid request but I was just looking at these trucks and the arms from trick laser and noticed the trucks require ordering from another store. And the parts lists PDF linked on the trucks page is not working, or did not for me a few minutes ago.

Why not order the required parts for the trucks and sell it as a complete kit? I know it will be more but it would eliminate a sales barrier for some potential customers and reduce shipping costs over all. Especially if you keep the mark up on those parts low.
- CNC's: Rostock Max upgraded to v3.2, Prusa i3 MK3 MMU, Formlabs Form SLA, Shapeoko3 CNC, Palette+, Palette 2 Pro
- Software: Fusion 360, SpaceClaim Engineer, Simplify3D, Repetier Firmware & Host, VCarve Pro
bvandiepenbos
Printmaster!

Post by bvandiepenbos »

briankb wrote:Perhaps a stupid request but I was just looking at these trucks and the arms from trick laser and noticed the trucks require ordering from another store. And the parts lists PDF linked on the trucks page is not working, or did not for me a few minutes ago.

Why not order the required parts for the trucks and sell it as a complete kit? I know it will be more but it would eliminate a sales barrier for some potential customers and reduce shipping costs over all. Especially if you keep the mark up on those parts low.
The pdf parts list link worked OK for me just now.

I really would like to sell it complete with wheels but that would be to much $$ to sit on until they sell. I buy 25 sets at a time from my local waterjet guy, so 25 wheel/bearing sets at ~$50 each is more than I care to "float"

I know it is a bit inconvenient to order the other parts from open builds, but really in the end you probably break even with the shipping vs. me marking it up just enough to cover my costs.

sorry
I try to make it as easy as possible by providing links and purchase list.
~*Brian V.

RostockMAX v2 (Stock)
MAX METAL "ShortyMAX"
GRABER i3 "Slim"
Jimustanguitar
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by Jimustanguitar »

It would be silly for Brian to buy, stock, sell, ship, and consequently have to mark up somebody else's product. It makes more sense to just buy it yourself, for multiple reasons.
briankb
Printmaster!

Post by briankb »

I don't think it's silly but I understand his reason for leaving those items out of his packaging. And the link to the parts list was not working when I check it yesterday so I had no idea what parts I needed. It seems to be working now and I have the list pulled up.
- CNC's: Rostock Max upgraded to v3.2, Prusa i3 MK3 MMU, Formlabs Form SLA, Shapeoko3 CNC, Palette+, Palette 2 Pro
- Software: Fusion 360, SpaceClaim Engineer, Simplify3D, Repetier Firmware & Host, VCarve Pro
briankb
Printmaster!

Post by briankb »

With these aluminum trucks and the carbon arms, about a $200 ($50+50+83+shipping) upgrade. Is there a noticeable difference in the print quality? What kind of speed increase are possible once you loose some of the weight?

Return to “Mods and Upgrades”