Parts and steps needed for a Bondtech QR upgrade

A place to talk about user-made mods and upgrades to their machines
Harblar
Printmaster!

Parts and steps needed for a Bondtech QR upgrade

Post by Harblar »

So I'm considering upgrading to a bondtech extruder, but I'm not 100% on what parts I need to get.

Which one of these (http://shop.bondtech.se/ec/extruders/bo ... ersal.html) should I be getting (as far as the cable setup)?

What about the adapters and mount? I'll probably print my own mount using their STL's, but I'm having trouble visualizing how it actually works. Anybody got any pictures? (I can't find any for their mount on google.)

I'm currently running an e3dv6 with the SeeMeCNC Accelerometer board mounted on top. I should be able to feed direct into this with the tubing as normal, correct?

Other than calibrating the steps per mm, are there any other Firmware changes I would need to make?

Thanks.
Xenocrates
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Re: Parts and steps needed for a Bondtech QR upgrade

Post by Xenocrates »

I would use the standard 2510 connector. It's a .1" pitch connector, and is what would connect most easily to a Rambo or Duet (Not really right for either, but it should fit, especially if shaved a little) (If I recall correctly, you have a V2, and would need to connect the current stepper cable to the bondtech one. You can either use wire splices, solder, or the male 2510 connectors, since they are standard)

The way the mount works is that there is a round gearbox on the stepper motor, with 4 slots for the screws fixing it to the stepper motor. The standard mount screws to the standard mounting holes, and then the lower portion is bolted to the upper portion around this gearbox, with a tab that traps it in an orientation. Note that it is designed for heat-set inserts, especially for the lower portion. I recommend PETG, especially a filled PETG, for the slightly better heat resistance and lower cracking than ABS (They are using PETG in their production now). I would also get a bowden adapter, to have both infeed and outfeed tubes (As a drybox becomes much easier with this, and it works as a filament guide), but it isn't needed if the extruder is used upside-down. If you're using it in an enclosure, I recommend the left-handed version of the QR.
Machines:
Rostock Max V2, Duet .8.5, PT100 enabled E3D V6 and volcano, Raymond style enclosure
Automation Technology 60W laser cutter/engraver
1m X-carve router

Sic Transit Gloria Mundi
01-10011-11111100001
Harblar
Printmaster!

Post by Harblar »

Thanks for the advice! I've got some PETG from maker geeks I've been looking for an excuse to try. Now I have one. :-)

I get how the mount attaches to the extruder. I was more curious about how and where the mount attached to the frame. So, basically I would just remove the melamine mount for the EZstruder and then use the same bolts/holes for the QR mount?

Either way, I just plan to splice the old wires to the new motor. Is the pinout the same for both motors to the rambo or will I need to swap a couple here or there?

I'm going to order one today, I'll probably have it by next week sometime and I'll be sure to report back! :-)
Xenocrates
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by Xenocrates »

Yes, Theoretically yes, and possibly. Mhackney had a guide for matching colors around somewhere.
Machines:
Rostock Max V2, Duet .8.5, PT100 enabled E3D V6 and volcano, Raymond style enclosure
Automation Technology 60W laser cutter/engraver
1m X-carve router

Sic Transit Gloria Mundi
01-10011-11111100001
ivanhandler
Printmaster!

Post by ivanhandler »

Harblar wrote:So I'm considering upgrading to a bondtech extruder, but I'm not 100% on what parts I need to get.

Which one of these (http://shop.bondtech.se/ec/extruders/bo ... ersal.html) should I be getting (as far as the cable setup)?

What about the adapters and mount? I'll probably print my own mount using their STL's, but I'm having trouble visualizing how it actually works. Anybody got any pictures? (I can't find any for their mount on google.)

I'm currently running an e3dv6 with the SeeMeCNC Accelerometer board mounted on top. I should be able to feed direct into this with the tubing as normal, correct?

Other than calibrating the steps per mm, are there any other Firmware changes I would need to make?

Thanks.
I have upgraded to 2 of them since I am (still) trying to get dual extrusion going. They provide an stl for the max v3 and recommend printing in PETG which I did. that is the easy part. The only problem is that the connectors provided with the NEMA 17 (you need to use the one that comes with the extruder) has the wrong connector. It is not too difficult to pull out the wires from the old NEMA 17 to use that connector. You will also have to pull the wires out of the new connector, put them in the right order and then crimp the ends so they will go into the old connector and not slip out. Once that is done you will have to calibrate the steppers, again, pretty easy. I am quite happy with mine. I do a lot of complex prints and used to have troubles all the time with the extruder jamming due to crud building up inside. That problem is now a thing of the past.

Return to “Mods and Upgrades”