My Zesty Nimble review...

A place to talk about user-made mods and upgrades to their machines
mhackney
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

My Zesty Nimble review...

Post by mhackney »

I have completed my testing and posted my review on the Zesty Nimble remote direct drive extruder.

Everything you wanted to know about the Zesty Nimble remote direct drive (RRD) extruder

Sublime Layers - my blog on Musings and Experiments in 3D Printing Technology and Art

Start Here:
A Strategy for Successful (and Great) Prints

Strategies for Resolving Print Artifacts

The Eclectic Angler
DeltaCon
Printmaster!

Re: My Zesty Nimble review...

Post by DeltaCon »

Your reviews are as good as your prints! ;-)
I am DeltaCon, I have a delta, my name is Con, I am definitely PRO delta! ;-)
Rostock V2 / E3D Volcano / FSR kit / Duet 0.6

PS.: Sorry for the avatar, that's my other hobby!
EddyGara
Prints-a-lot

Post by EddyGara »

So all in all. Would you say this is a better extruder to side with rather then the bondtec? I know you review was unbiased. But seeing as you have more time under your belt with the dual drive extruder. Would you choose this one if you had to do it all over again? I ask, as I too am looking to replace the extruders on all my 3 delta's, (2 of my machines are 6ft tall!). And I want to make sure I'm making the right decision.

As of now both my 6ft tall machines are equipped with flying exstruders. With bowden tubes about 7in long. I would really like to get rid of bowden all together!
timskloss
Printmaster!

Post by timskloss »

Eddy, I would say both are great solutions to remove the bowden tubes. There is no substitute for the excellent control you get with the extruder motor right on the HE, but you have to deal with the flying weight. If you do most of your printing at say 40 mm/sec or slower this is perfectly fine. The Bondtecs are the greatest value out there for power and control versus weight.

However with a 6-foot tall delta I assume you need to be running much faster to make efficient use of your build volume for large parts. In that case you need to minimize the flying weight and the Zesty Nimble makes good sense. The experimenter in me would suggest you setup one delta with the Bondtec and the other with a Nimble and let us all know how it works out! :)

I have a Nimble sitting on my bench because I haven't had a chance yet to install it on my Rostock Max V3. (printer has been VERY busy this past month). I'm still looking for a 'one-stop-shop' for Zesty Nimble Repetier information that can help my transition go smoother. It would be awesome if someone would take all the great info on the Nimble that is out there and condense it into a short cheat sheet for setting up your controller. :?:
We are dreamers, shapers, singers and makers...
timskloss
Printmaster!

Post by timskloss »

Dr. Hackney, do you have a mid-term report on the performance of the Nimble? Are you still using it :?:
We are dreamers, shapers, singers and makers...

Return to “Mods and Upgrades”