Prometheus v2

A place to talk about user-made mods and upgrades to their machines
TwoTone
Printmaster!

Prometheus v2

Post by TwoTone »

Just wondering if anyone has modified the V2 heater block to accept a PT100?

Also, does anyone have the thread size/pitch on the Prometheus Nozzle
Xenocrates
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Re: Prometheus v2

Post by Xenocrates »

I don't think so, and unfortunately the Distech cad links in their documentation are broken, so I can't see if it would be very practical. The best I can offer is the idea of drilling out the M3 hole with a 1/8th drill bit, and then adding a set screw, but it's really hard to say with neither a block nor drawings in front of me. I'll try throwing them an email to see if they are willing to fix the CAD links or throw me a copy to play with. I'll let you know if I actually get anywhere.
Machines:
Rostock Max V2, Duet .8.5, PT100 enabled E3D V6 and volcano, Raymond style enclosure
Automation Technology 60W laser cutter/engraver
1m X-carve router

Sic Transit Gloria Mundi
01-10011-11111100001
TwoTone
Printmaster!

Post by TwoTone »

From what I can see, the M3 threads on the Prom V2 heater block are in line with the vertical hole for the nozzle. It doesn't look like enough metal is there to do anything with the two thermistor holes.

I was hoping I might luck out and the threads for both nozzles are the same. That way I could just use a E3d Block with the rest of the Prometheus V2.

If the nozzle aren't the same but the E3D Nozzle is smaller I could drill that out and retap for the Prom V2 nozzle.

My son back the multi filament Prometheus project, since the printer is coming apart to wire another extruder, I'm going order him a Duet Wifi, IR sensor for Christmas so it's all done at once.

I wanted to go PT100 since I've read it's better.
ccavanaugh
Printmaster!

Post by ccavanaugh »

I poked Eric a couple of months about making a PT100 compatible heater block. More poking from others will only help.
Xenocrates
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by Xenocrates »

TwoTone wrote:From what I can see, the M3 threads on the Prom V2 heater block are in line with the vertical hole for the nozzle. It doesn't look like enough metal is there to do anything with the two thermistor holes.

I was hoping I might luck out and the threads for both nozzles are the same. That way I could just use a E3d Block with the rest of the Prometheus V2.

If the nozzle aren't the same but the E3D Nozzle is smaller I could drill that out and retap for the Prom V2 nozzle.

My son back the multi filament Prometheus project, since the printer is coming apart to wire another extruder, I'm going order him a Duet Wifi, IR sensor for Christmas so it's all done at once.

I wanted to go PT100 since I've read it's better.
Small problem with that. From what I can see, the 1.75 Prometheus uses M4 threading, and the 3mm uses m5, both of which are smaller than the E3D size. However, you could likely make something to work with it using a hacksaw and drill press, even if you don't have a mill. The heater block hasn't got a lot of critical dimensions.

Edit:
Got the drawings from Distech. If you drilled out either of the M3 holes and gave them a set screw (I favor the one used as a setscrew for the nozzle due to the thermistor holes), you could put a PT100 in there, however the rear of the PT100 would stick out and probably need some insulation. That's the only way I can see to fit one in without building it from scratch.
Machines:
Rostock Max V2, Duet .8.5, PT100 enabled E3D V6 and volcano, Raymond style enclosure
Automation Technology 60W laser cutter/engraver
1m X-carve router

Sic Transit Gloria Mundi
01-10011-11111100001
TwoTone
Printmaster!

Post by TwoTone »

ccavanaugh wrote:I poked Eric a couple of months about making a PT100 compatible heater block. More poking from others will only help.

Well he says they are 'coming'

I just ordered some flat bar stock for $8 shipped. I'll post a picture when it's done and it you want I can make you one.

Return to “Mods and Upgrades”