Open-source industrial servo motor

A place to talk about user-made mods and upgrades to their machines
rubiks24
Prints-a-lot

Open-source industrial servo motor

Post by rubiks24 »

I recently discovered this kickstarter (no affiliation) for a closed-loop stepper retrofit controller. This is very interesting. Check it out!

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/tr ... escription
Captain Starfish
Printmaster!

Re: Open-source industrial servo motor

Post by Captain Starfish »

Cute!

Shame they've capped it at 24V though, means it's kinda limited to the same gear that can be driven directly from a controller board with baby drivers on it.

If they'd gone for 48 or 70V support it would have been extremely cool for the CNC router crew.
rubiks24
Prints-a-lot

Post by rubiks24 »

Captain Starfish wrote:Cute!

Shame they've capped it at 24V though, means it's kinda limited to the same gear that can be driven directly from a controller board with baby drivers on it.

If they'd gone for 48 or 70V support it would have been extremely cool for the CNC router crew.
yeah thats true, but could still be good for a 3d printer, should eliminate any z layer shifts due to plastic catching on the nozzle from time to time.
Xenocrates
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by Xenocrates »

It will help fix prints, but with no way for it to keep the rest of it in the loop, then we could easily see it drawing a large section of a layer as garbage, and causing more issues as the print continues, so while it will eliminate large shifts, realistically the parts will still be flawed, although less obviously.
Machines:
Rostock Max V2, Duet .8.5, PT100 enabled E3D V6 and volcano, Raymond style enclosure
Automation Technology 60W laser cutter/engraver
1m X-carve router

Sic Transit Gloria Mundi
01-10011-11111100001
rubiks24
Prints-a-lot

Post by rubiks24 »

Xenocrates wrote:It will help fix prints, but with no way for it to keep the rest of it in the loop, then we could easily see it drawing a large section of a layer as garbage, and causing more issues as the print continues, so while it will eliminate large shifts, realistically the parts will still be flawed, although less obviously.
Well, if you look at the current smoothieboard and even the duet wifi coming out, there are plenty of digital I/O that can be used as a feedback. I feel like a little modification to the current firmware will address that issue.
Andre B
Plasticator

Post by Andre B »

If I am reading it write you can get torque feedback. That could be a simple way to find Z zero by just tapping the nozzle on the bed.
Or getting some feedback from the extruder about just how hard it is pushing.
Eric
Printmaster!

Post by Eric »

Not torque so much as you can tell when it failed to move for whatever reason. Not quite the same thing.
rubiks24
Prints-a-lot

Post by rubiks24 »

Andre B wrote:If I am reading it write you can get torque feedback. That could be a simple way to find Z zero by just tapping the nozzle on the bed.
Or getting some feedback from the extruder about just how hard it is pushing.
exactly what I was thinking too, I will definitely be exploring the possibly of using these as a zprobe (I backed them). If they work, it would be quite accurate.

Return to “Mods and Upgrades”