Rostock Max V2 DC42s Mini Height Sensor Board Mount

A place to talk about user-made mods and upgrades to their machines
CodonExe
Printmaster!

Rostock Max V2 DC42s Mini Height Sensor Board Mount

Post by CodonExe »

I decided to give DC42s IR probe a try and needed a mount that would work with the stock Rostock effector.

If anyone is interested here is the mount: http://repables.com/r/762/
Attachments
IMG_0385.JPG
IMG_0384.JPG
IMG_0383.JPG
Rostock Max V2, Duet Wifi, IR Probe, PanelDue 7" LCD, Heated Enclosure, Firestop cans, Thermally Fused 12v E3D V6, Berd Air, Floating Thermally fused 24v Bed, Aluminum heat spreader, PEI, Dual 12v PSUs in series.
Eaglezsoar
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Re: Rostock Max V2 DC42s Mini Height Sensor Board Mount

Post by Eaglezsoar »

CodonExe wrote:I decided to give DC42s IR probe a try and needed a mount that would work with the stock Rostock effector.

Thanks for a link to the mount and the picture you have posted. I wonder if the IR Probe would have difficulty with PEI attached to the glass?
“ Do Not Regret Growing Older. It is a Privilege Denied to Many. ”
CodonExe
Printmaster!

Post by CodonExe »

:D, I look forward to tinkering with it, may have to adjust the diodes like Xenocrate's recommends.
Rostock Max V2, Duet Wifi, IR Probe, PanelDue 7" LCD, Heated Enclosure, Firestop cans, Thermally Fused 12v E3D V6, Berd Air, Floating Thermally fused 24v Bed, Aluminum heat spreader, PEI, Dual 12v PSUs in series.
dc42
Printmaster!

Post by dc42 »

Eaglezsoar wrote:
CodonExe wrote:I decided to give DC42s IR probe a try and needed a mount that would work with the stock Rostock effector.

Thanks for a link to the mount and the picture you have posted. I wonder if the IR Probe would have difficulty with PEI attached to the glass?
It works great if you paint the back of the PEI matt black first. I used spray on barbecue/stove paint and cured it in a domestic fan oven at 170C for a couple of hours. After that the paint adheres really well to the PEI. The reason for the paint is that PEI is transparent to IR, and you don't want the variable reflection from the adhesive and the air bubbles in it to interfere with the reflection from the top surface.
Eaglezsoar
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by Eaglezsoar »

Thanks for that info dc42, I would not have thought of the painting black the backside of the PEI.
I assume that after it dries you can apply the normal adhesive.
“ Do Not Regret Growing Older. It is a Privilege Denied to Many. ”
CodonExe
Printmaster!

Post by CodonExe »

Thanks dc42!
dc42
Printmaster!

Post by dc42 »

Eaglezsoar wrote:Thanks for that info dc42, I would not have thought of the painting black the backside of the PEI.
I assume that after it dries you can apply the normal adhesive.
Yes, I used 8153LE adhesive sheet, but 468MP should be equally suitable.
CodonExe
Printmaster!

Post by CodonExe »

dc42 wrote:
It works great if you paint the back of the PEI matt black first. I used spray on barbecue/stove paint and cured it in a domestic fan oven at 170C for a couple of hours. After that the paint adheres really well to the PEI. The reason for the paint is that PEI is transparent to IR, and you don't want the variable reflection from the adhesive and the air bubbles in it to interfere with the reflection from the top surface.
I was unable to get the bbq/stove paint to bond to the PEI sheet(tried krylon and rustoleum paint brands, multiple paint types, multiple PEI suppliers, cook times and temps). I was about to give up on using PEI with my mini height sensor board, so I tried one last way. I applied Kapton tape to the PEI using the window cleaner float method and then applied the 3M adhesive the same way to the Kapton PEI sandwich. Works Great! Just wanted to share in case someone else was having the same issue.

Curious what brand paint do you have success with?
dc42
Printmaster!

Post by dc42 »

I used B&Q own brand barbecue/stove paint. I sprayed several thin coats on allowing it to become touch dry between coats. After curing the paint in the oven, I tested it by putting sticky tape on it and then ripping the sticky tape off. The paint stayed behind.

One side of my PEI was glossy and one side was slightly matt. I painted the matt side. I cleaned the surface with isopropanol before spraying.

Return to “Mods and Upgrades”