E3D has released new hotends!

A place to talk about user-made mods and upgrades to their machines
jdurand
Printmaster!

Re: E3D has released new hotends!

Post by jdurand »

On my Afinia the heat break tube continues down into the nozzle about half way. The hole is flat bottom and seals against the end of the heat break so there's no leaking.
Standing on the edge of reality... (me)
Quando omni flunkus moritati (Red Green)
Let no man belong to another that can belong to himself. (Paracelsus)
All things are poison and nothing is without poison; only the dose makes a thing not a poison. (Ibid.)
mhackney
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by mhackney »

The Prusa SS hot end also had a single piece as did the hotend developed by the young guy from Canada who posted actively in these forums.

Sublime Layers - my blog on Musings and Experiments in 3D Printing Technology and Art

Start Here:
A Strategy for Successful (and Great) Prints

Strategies for Resolving Print Artifacts

The Eclectic Angler
jdurand
Printmaster!

Post by jdurand »

I see the Chimera that was shipped on the 12th by Royal Mail is now in San Francisco. That was quick for regular post!

Now, now many weeks does it sit in customs while they look for a mythical beast. Of course they won't find one because it's mythical!
All things are poison and nothing is without poison; only the dose makes a thing not a poison. (Ibid.)
mhackney
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by mhackney »

I got mine in 2 days! Seriously. But I'm on the other coast.

Sublime Layers - my blog on Musings and Experiments in 3D Printing Technology and Art

Start Here:

The Eclectic Angler
0110-m-p
Printmaster!

Post by 0110-m-p »

Wish I had ordered mine direct for E3D like I did my Volcano. My order from Dec. 1 is still unfulfilled by Filastruder :(.

My orders from E3D have always gotten to me extremely quickly.
Current Machines || Rostock Max (V1) | V3DR ||
Previous Machines || Flashforge Creator Pro ||
jdurand
Printmaster!

Post by jdurand »

Been thinking about that water cooled cold end of the hot end since I already have water for the extruders. Looking over the drawings it still looks to be fairly easy to make so I think I'll do that when I install it.

I'll post pictures if I do, might inspire someone else. :)

Tools that will be needed if you make your own:
horizontal band saw
milling machine
arbor press
tabletop belt sander
possibly lathe
assorted bits/cutters
2-liter bottle of fizzy water
radio
bubbasnow
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by bubbasnow »

0110-m-p wrote:Wish I had ordered mine direct for E3D like I did my Volcano. My order from Dec. 1 is still unfulfilled by Filastruder :(.

This might help with your expected deliverers from filastruder

#6321 ordered: Jan 01, 2015 recv: Saturday, February 7, 2015
#5810 ordered: Nov 28, 2014 recv: Saturday, January 31, 2015
elmoret
Printmaster!

Post by elmoret »

0110-m-p wrote:Wish I had ordered mine direct for E3D like I did my Volcano. My order from Dec. 1 is still unfulfilled by Filastruder :(.

Tim here, from Filastruder.

Trust me, I'd fulfill it if I could. I ordered a boatload of Cyclops/Chimera the day they came out from E3D, and E3D has only partially fulfilled my order. Cyclops/Chimera have had a Q1 2015 shipping date from the start. I always ship out the very day the shipment arrives from E3D, and I pay for overnight shipping to get it to me ASAP.

bubbasnow wrote:This might help with your expected deliverers from filastruder

#6321 ordered: Jan 01, 2015 recv: Saturday, February 7, 2015
#5810 ordered: Nov 28, 2014 recv: Saturday, January 31, 2015
For reference I got the shipment in from E3D for 5810 on January 29th, and the shipment containing parts to fulfill 6321 arrived February 4th.

I really do get things out just as soon as they come in!
jdurand
Printmaster!

Post by jdurand »

I don't think anyone thought you were sitting on them, but there is that reshipment delay.

I would have ordered from you but had already placed my order with E3D before I knew you were now distributing their stuff.
0110-m-p
Printmaster!

Post by 0110-m-p »

My order was #5880, so I would think it would have shipped sometime in January shortly after #5810. Are the legends packs shipping slower than Chimera/Cyclops separately?

Also, I'm not complaining per say...just really itching to get my hands on this new stuff.
Current Machines || Rostock Max (V1) | V3DR ||
Previous Machines || Flashforge Creator Pro ||
elmoret
Printmaster!

Post by elmoret »

I fufill with what I get from E3D - if they send me 10x legends, 10x cyclops, 10x chimera, then that's what goes back out.

I haven't gotten any more Cyclops/Chimera from E3D since the shipment that provided 5810 with his.
JFettig
Printmaster!

Post by JFettig »

FYI, here is the latest mount that I'm running on my Chimera, it'll work for the cyclops too. It really stiffens up the machine - must use TL arms for it. Its a full set of files to print and swap out.

http://repables.com/r/483/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
bubbasnow
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by bubbasnow »

0110-m-p wrote:My order was #5880, so I would think it would have shipped sometime in January shortly after #5810. Are the legends packs shipping slower than Chimera/Cyclops separately?

Also, I'm not complaining per say...just really itching to get my hands on this new stuff.
sorry i should have clarified 5810 was chimera/cyclops and 6321 was volcano... sorry for the upset!
elmoret
Printmaster!

Post by elmoret »

Just got word that machining for batch 2 is expected to finish in late February. That would get nearly all of the outstanding Filastruder Cyclomera orders fulfilled.
jdurand
Printmaster!

Post by jdurand »

Just received my Chimera. Now for some spare time to design the mounting, water cooling, etc.

I notice on the packing list it says the heaters are 25W, isn't that a bit underpowered for these printers?
JFettig
Printmaster!

Post by JFettig »

I've been using mine for a little while now, the heaters are sufficient, maybe they are higher power - not sure but mine heats up at least as fast as the seemecnc hot end.

I see no need for water cooling, not really sure how that is beneficial, maybe for PLA but I'm not convinced personally, seems like way more work than its worth, plus then you have to worry about water cooling lines catching in stuff.

If you have TL arms, I posted the design I'm running on repables, a few posts up is a link.
rpress
Printmaster!

Post by rpress »

My Volcano came with a 12^2 / 5.6 ~= 25W heater (with the blue wires), that seemed really weird. Is that right or was it packed wrong?

My Cyclops came with a 12^2 / 3.3 ~= 40W one.

Maybe they put 2x 25W heaters with the Chimera to reduce the potential heat loading on the cooling block.
elmoret
Printmaster!

Post by elmoret »

jdurand wrote:Just received my Chimera. Now for some spare time to design the mounting, water cooling, etc.

I notice on the packing list it says the heaters are 25W, isn't that a bit underpowered for these printers?
No, its actually more appropriate than 40w, especially with hotends that use stainless steel heatbreaks.

40w was used for a while because it was commonly available and there wasn't enough demand for 40w. A 25w heater will still get over 300C, which is all the thermistor is good for anyway.
Last edited by elmoret on Thu Feb 19, 2015 10:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
elmoret
Printmaster!

Post by elmoret »

rpress wrote:My Volcano came with a 12^2 / 5.6 ~= 25W heater (with the blue wires), that seemed really weird. Is that right or was it packed wrong?
My Cyclops came with a 12^2 / 3.3 ~= 40W one.

Maybe they put 2x 25W heaters with the Chimera to reduce the potential heat loading on the cooling block.
The heat loading on the cooling block would be the same with 25w, 40w, or 4,000,000w heaters. These heaters are in closed loop control (PID), the heat they produce at the set temperature is not a function of their rated wattage. A 40w heater just gets less PWM duty cycle than a 25w heater, but heat generated is the same.
Last edited by elmoret on Wed Feb 18, 2015 9:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
rpress
Printmaster!

Post by rpress »

For the same heat output sure, but why ever use the 40W heater? Just for the faster warm-up time? On the other hand maybe it's not the heat loading but to lower the peak power required of the supply. The 40W heater allows for faster extrusion rates and/or higher temperatures, which translates into more heat output.

That's why I was surprised that my Volcano came with a 25W heater while my Cyclops and v6 came with a 40W. Pretty sure I was shipped the wrong heater with the Volcano, there were other oddities with that Filastruder order. Maybe Filastruder or E3D could chime in as to what the Volcano should come with?
elmoret
Printmaster!

Post by elmoret »

rpress wrote:The 40W heater allows for faster extrusion rates
That is incorrect. The 40w heater does not allow for faster extrusion rates. Again, the 25w heater is good to 300C which is all the stock thermistor is good for. 25w heaters reduce peak load on the power supply and eliminate thermal runaway if the controller or MOSFET fails. The only reason to use a 40w heater is if you need over 300C.

I'm Filastruder. E3D hotends can come with 25w or 40w heaters, E3D is transitioning to 25w but occasionally 40w is all that's in stock. Both are acceptable.

What other "oddities" were there?
jdurand
Printmaster!

Post by jdurand »

It's not just temperature, it's BTUs (or Joules for metric). A tiny candle can reach very high temperatures but you couldn't boil a pot of water with it. Same with higher flows, it takes more energy to melt a larger quantity of plastic so a larger heater might be called for.

That being said, it's a good idea to not have your heater a lot bigger than your max need. It's easier to control a heater that's closely matched to it's load. I made a regulator for my wife that she uses on counter-top cookers when she's doing small quantities. She can turn the heat power down to just higher than needed for the thermostat to cycle.
mhackney
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by mhackney »

+1 jdurand. That's how efficient home heaters work - match the heater to the volume to heat so that it runs near continuously. This results in greater efficiency and more consistent temperature.

Start Here:

The Eclectic Angler
rpress
Printmaster!

Post by rpress »

elmoret wrote:
rpress wrote:The 40W heater allows for faster extrusion rates
That is incorrect. The 40w heater does not allow for faster extrusion rates. Again, the 25w heater is good to 300C which is all the stock thermistor is good for. 25w heaters reduce peak load on the power supply and eliminate thermal runaway if the controller or MOSFET fails.

I'm Filastruder. E3D hotends can come with 25w or 40w heaters, E3D is transitioning to 25w but occasionally 40w is all that's in stock. Both are acceptable.

What other "oddities" were there?
Interesting, why the transition from 40W elements to 25W? I guess it doesn't say on your web site which heater element is sent so it could be anything I suppose.

The heat lost by extruding the filament needs to be replenished by the heater; it seems like you're not accounting for this fact when you only mention temperature. The Volcano can extrude filament 3x faster than the v6 so it will lose 3x the heat due to this. It's possible something else is a limiting factor, I haven't run any thermodynamics calculations. But it seems weird that the Volcano can put out 3x the filament volume but it ships with a heater that has 2/3 the power.

About my order I had an extra 0.8mm nozzle in the bag but it was for a v6 (I think). I ordered the nozzle separate from the heat block, and I did receive the nozzle for the Volcano that I wanted so it wasn't a problem for me, just odd.
rpress
Printmaster!

Post by rpress »

jdurand wrote: That being said, it's a good idea to not have your heater a lot bigger than your max need. It's easier to control a heater that's closely matched to it's load. I made a regulator for my wife that she uses on counter-top cookers when she's doing small quantities. She can turn the heat power down to just higher than needed for the thermostat to cycle.
Yeah I agree. Although to somewhat offset that problem the maximum duty cycle could be limited.

I'm using dead time control for my hot end and bed. It's much better than PID in regard to over-shoot when having a grossly overpowered bed like my Onyx at 21V.

Return to “Mods and Upgrades”