Zesty Nimble extruder technical thread

A place to talk about user-made mods and upgrades to their machines
Zesty_Lykle
Printmaster!

Re: Zesty Nimble extruder technical thread

Post by Zesty_Lykle »

Hi 626Pilot,

Yes, we are pumping the message as much as we can, but we are already being accused of spamming at some places, so we have to proceed carefully.
Last thing I want to do is antagonize people.

I think you are right, we need to schedule another one for the US. It is hard to span 3 main time zones and find a spot that works for all of us. What would be a good time to pick, for the US? In the evening I suppose?

As to what happens if we don't make it on Kickstarter. Difficult to say really. There are a few parts that simply HAVE to be injection molded. The gears. That drags along the hobbed wheel, as it is an insert that is molded in. That becomes an expensive set. Also, if we don't make it, is there really a market? We tried to cover the market as much as possible. Hard choices.

Lets just work towards reaching the goal first. If we get there, no worries.

Lykle
Lykle
Design life, and enjoy.
gchristopher
Printmaster!

Post by gchristopher »

Hoping it succeeds!
626Pilot
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by 626Pilot »

I'd go for 6PM Eastern/9PM Pacific. Best chance to hit the most people. If the campaign fails and you do a second try in the future, give yourself more than a month.
mhackney
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by mhackney »

Do you mean 9pm eastern/6pm pacific? Or did you mean 2 sessions, one at each of those times?

Sublime Layers - my blog on Musings and Experiments in 3D Printing Technology and Art

Start Here:
A Strategy for Successful (and Great) Prints

Strategies for Resolving Print Artifacts

The Eclectic Angler
Zesty_Lykle
Printmaster!

Post by Zesty_Lykle »

9PM Eastern is OK.
4AM for me, but it's important, so no issue.
Lykle
Design life, and enjoy.
Zesty_Lykle
Printmaster!

Post by Zesty_Lykle »

Here we go.
We scheduled another event. Here is the link: https://live.kickstarter.com/lykle-sche ... ive-take-2
Lykle
Design life, and enjoy.
joe
Printmaster!

Post by joe »

Zesty_Lykle wrote:Here we go.
We scheduled another event. Here is the link: https://live.kickstarter.com/lykle-sche ... ive-take-2
Especially for all our friends in the USA, we are running another live event, for a show and tell on the Nimble. We certainly hope you can join us.
Did you know there is a whole other country in that time zone? To bad you didn't include CANADA! There are a lot of Canadians that use 3D printers too. I know we can watch too but if you are not invited to the party, why go?
geneb
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by geneb »

Jeeze, McKay... :D

g.
Delta Power!
Defeat the Cartesian Agenda!
http://www.f15sim.com - 80-0007, The only one of its kind.
http://geneb.simpits.org - Technical and Simulator Projects
barry99705
Printmaster!

Post by barry99705 »

joe wrote:
Especially for all our friends in the USA, we are running another live event, for a show and tell on the Nimble. We certainly hope you can join us.
Did you know there is a whole other country in that time zone? To bad you didn't include CANADA! There are a lot of Canadians that use 3D printers too. I know we can watch too but if you are not invited to the party, why go?
There are several other countries in that timezone, but who cares about Panama, Columbia, Ecuador and Peru? :P :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Never do anything you don't want to have to explain to the paramedics.
joe
Printmaster!

Post by joe »

barry99705 wrote:
joe wrote:
There are several other countries in that timezone, but who cares about Panama, Columbia, Ecuador and Peru? :P :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
True dat, those people were excluded too. Thanks for pointing that out. :D
Noircogi
Printmaster!

Post by Noircogi »

Uh, nobody was excluded, the time was just given in PST terms.
626Pilot
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by 626Pilot »

The Kickstarter is only halfway funded, and is almost over. The only way for you to get enough traction at this point would be to get a bunch of 3DP magazines and blogs to do a story, and hope for the best.

If that doesn't pan out, I would wait until next year, do a Kickstarter with a length of at least two months, wait for a few thousand monetary units to flow in, and then shop it around to the 3DP press. Shop it around to general tech outfits as well, like Gizmodo.
PannDemic
Printmaster!

Post by PannDemic »

Maybe speak with a few reviewers and gain some outside opinion. I know it is not easy, but I am sure a few of the Youtube review guys would be interested at taking a look. Just don't try to buy a good review, almost never works.
barry99705
Printmaster!

Post by barry99705 »

Noircogi wrote:Uh, nobody was excluded, the time was just given in PST terms.
Pretty sure joe was just joking around, I know I was, hence the :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: . They singled out the US when they gave the time.
Never do anything you don't want to have to explain to the paramedics.
briangilbert
Noob

Post by briangilbert »

Hi All

Just an update that the Nimble is now shipping and available via our website: https://zesty.tech/

mhackney has today posted our first review of the Nimble:
http://www.sublimelayers.com/2017/05/ev ... about.html

Cheers
Brian
ramai
Printmaster!

Post by ramai »

reading the review now in fact
Rostock MAX V2 with trick trucks, cf arms, prometheus hot end, nimble extruder, berdAir cooling.
Cura slicer, Duet Wifi, iMac
ramai
Printmaster!

Post by ramai »

Good writeup. I didn't find a rostock max in the adapters list though. It looks like they have a V3 "hat" adapter on thingiverse but nothing for the V2. Has anyone made one? Also, there are several cable length options when you go to purchase. I'm assuming 95mm would be appropriate but it's not too clear. Lykle, I'd recommend putting a note on the buy page about the length. Not knowing the correct length for my printer keeps people like me from insta-buying. Overall I'm very excited about this product and I'm going to buy it when I find out the correct length needed for a V2 rostock Max.
Rostock MAX V2 with trick trucks, cf arms, prometheus hot end, nimble extruder, berdAir cooling.
Cura slicer, Duet Wifi, iMac
DeltaCon
Printmaster!

Post by DeltaCon »

Glad to hear about it again after some (explained) period of silence!
I assume that the price-up of 12% at the same day as this nice review is a coincidence? ;-)
I am really struggling with stringing and I do not seem to get it right. So might be my next bigger upgrade.

Do I understand correctly that the gear ratio (30-1) is so high that the stepper cannot keep up the speed?
Why is this ratio that large?
I am DeltaCon, I have a delta, my name is Con, I am definitely PRO delta! ;-)
Rostock V2 / E3D Volcano / FSR kit / Duet 0.6

PS.: Sorry for the avatar, that's my other hobby!
brianmichalk
Printmaster!

Post by brianmichalk »

Is the 95cm cable length appropriate for the Max V3?
ryan00davis
Noob

Post by ryan00davis »

Any updates on this? I'm interested in buying a nimble for my rostock max 3.2 and am curious if anybody here has installed one and how they like it.
Also to the previous question, is the 95cm version the right version (they offer 75cm, 95cm and 120cm now)?
Dikeryn
Noob

Post by Dikeryn »

I'm working on getting a Zesty Nimble V2 installed on an Artemis. I've worked with @Zesty_Lykle over the past week to get a mount designed for the V2, https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:4181101. Just about done printing it now. My question is how to attach the mount to the hot end. The #4 plastic screws used to attach the board seem to only come in a 3/4" length max. That is about 1" too short. How have other done it? Thanks.
Dikeryn
Noob

Post by Dikeryn »

I ended up using M3x35 machine screws to mount it. A bit tight, but that is probably good with such fine threads. It works well.
I used 35" of PTFE tubing attached to the drive cable to get filament to the Nimble. It's attached to the drive cable with 2 Zesty Nimble Bowden Holder, https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:3384514, and Zesty Nimble Drive Cable Reverse Bowden / Filament Guide Clips, https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:3496144, 6 small, 2 +5mm, and 2 +10mm. I designed and used a Zesty Nimble Harness Clamp, https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:4196972, to hold the hotend harness up away form the filament spool.
Attachments
IMG_20200302_111955492.jpg
IMG_20200302_111955492.jpg (1.95 MiB) Viewed 35942 times
IMG_20200302_112052294.jpg
IMG_20200302_112052294.jpg (2.21 MiB) Viewed 35942 times
IMG_20200302_112031526.jpg
IMG_20200302_112031526.jpg (2.62 MiB) Viewed 35942 times
IMG_20200302_112017271.jpg
IMG_20200302_112017271.jpg (1.95 MiB) Viewed 35942 times
IMG_20200302_112002149.jpg
IMG_20200302_112002149.jpg (1.63 MiB) Viewed 35942 times
roughnutt
Noob

Post by roughnutt »

I'm curious if the rostock max will require a longer cable and if that increases the rotational twist. Thanks!

Return to “Mods and Upgrades”