First Prints with repetier host/fw on a RAMPS 1.4

johnoly99
Printmaster!

First Prints with repetier host/fw on a RAMPS 1.4

Post by johnoly99 »

Just got the first few minutes of prints on a rampsH1 setuo using repetier. Man, Im liking all it has to offer! By far, I have to say this is def the best looking out there, although it does have a few bugs but im sure theyll be gone soon enough.

So,

What do you guys think about us using RAMPS as a reprap control privided by us, available with our kits?
guanu
SeeMeCNC Staff

Re: First Prints with repetier host/fw on a RAMPS 1.4

Post by guanu »

usb? I'd like to say hell yes... then I can brodcast a musical H-1 live....and would love to try running a H-1 from a netbook I have.. need any testers/debuggers? =)

Guanu
kilroyo
Printmaster!

Post by kilroyo »

I guess Im alittle lost in the whole ramps and repetier deal, I think I need to do some reading on the 3d reprap printer scene. But if it lets me cut the cord to the computer , I'm game
guanu
SeeMeCNC Staff

Post by guanu »

it still needs a computer, unless you go the SD card route, but ramps uses an arduino mega with a riser board that has polulu stepper drivers to run the motors, its a different setup, uses usb..
RAMPS stands for RepRap Ardunio Mega Polulu Shield... the nice thing about it is that it can control the temp of the extruder and bed, also control fans.... its a nice setup...
There are different firmwares that can be cusomized to the machine through the arduino software... using ramps opens up a lil more of a window as to seeing toolpaths and different slicing with different software...
any other questions just ask...
Hope this helps

Guanu
michaellatif
Printmaster!

Post by michaellatif »

Sounds great! I love my Arduino Sanguinololu control board! RAMPS is a more versatile choice if you want to add feature/functionality easily (via Arduino shield). The great thing is that the host software and firmware is shared across many different Arduino platforms!
Mike Latif
H-1 #3
drew
Printmaster!

Post by drew »

John, what is it about the RAMPS/repetier setup do you like better than using Mach3 with slic3r?
guanu
SeeMeCNC Staff

Post by guanu »

I can't speak for john or the guys at seemecnc, but the convenience of usb is a big plus along with being able to use 64bit windows... they both have their benefits, mach is nice because its real time, being able to adjust feed rate on the fly, pause exactly when you want, etc... ramps is nice because of what I stated above, also being able to use a netbook, and its used all over the reprap community as almost the standard (all the boards are based similarly off ramps, some just put all the chips on one board).. ramps is nice because if you have one axis go bad (it happens), you can just change out a single polulu without having to replace anything else major... easy to replace a part thats about 15 bux, than an entire board... you can still use slic3r with a ramps setup as well so no worries with that...
Hope this helps

Guanu
drkow
Prints-a-lot

Post by drkow »

After going through 2 CNC controllers and trying 3 different PCs, I gave up with the mach3 configuration and bought a RAMPS board from eBay.

Have been running prints all day for the last week with no problem. I'm using the marlin firmware with pronterface.

I had to set my belt tension carefully, the pololu drivers just barely provide enough power for the 2.5A H1 steppers, when too tight the steppers skip.

I purchased my setup from the cheapest vendor I could find and had a great experience:
http://www.ebay.ca/sch/fashionplaza86/m.html
johnoly99
Printmaster!

Post by johnoly99 »

OK, so here's what I like about RAMPS/reprap based controllers and the cons

USB cord vs. P-port (buffered I/O, not real time though, buggy to reset/reconnect to the printer when disconnected or cancelling a print sometimes)

Can be run from a netbook and/or 64 bit OS, Linux setup is relatively easy for an Ubuntu user (Once again, using fairly low end PC's has some buggy effects as far as graphics when manipulating stl files in the graphics window, sometimes causing crashing of repetier host, but it's a known issue under development)

I love the hackability of it! Using the arduino 0023 IDE to hack away on firmware, pin definitions etc.. is nice, but I would have to rank it moderately difficult for someone who has never done it (Mach is relatively straight forward to install/setup/configure, nice big bulky windows based pop ups to ask you what to do etc... instead of editing firmware, and reflashing the arduino board, but Mach is also hackable by far too! Just, a little different programming skills, and it's OK to do it, even though it's not true open source software)

More compact and portable setup. (Although, alot of people wouldn't haul their printers around with them like I do!, so the setup on the desk isn't all that bad for them really)

I do like the real-time control that mach has on any machine, but I'm fairly confident in my print-fu (yeah, I said print-fu, think Kung-Fu Whhhhhhhhhhhooooooaaaaaaaaaa #squirt, burn)

Now, as always, our goal was to bring the 3D printing world AND the @home manufacturing closer together, which it wasn't. A lot of people out there already were using mach, or will be/should be, so being able to control all your CNC's with one software package has many perks. We will always sell our machines with a mach based control, but recognizing the demand from you guys (our loyal print-fu masters!), we want to make sure we are able to be that one-stop shop for all your needs. We'll never have 100% of what, but we will try to keep the basics handy. With that in mind, we want to offer up a more conventional arduino based control for the more purists in the 3D printing community. I stongly believe, RAMPS has it going on. The pluggable polulus (which are only 12$ if you re-use the heatsink) are a no brainer. Sure beats having to work on a board and dirty it up when you (like I did) blow up a chip. The thermal fuse protection for the inputs is awesome. The ability to control 5 "axes" (or two extruders : ) ) is awesomem, as is the three mosfet circuits for two hot ends and a bed, or hotend, bed, fan. And, they have good support and documentation, as well as every time I've called and talked to Johnny, he's been awesome and just a downright good guy on the phone. Others have either not replied to emails, or just don't seem to want the business?

There's a control for all of us out there, I love Mach, but this style has it's uses as well!

May the -Fu be with You!

Return to “RAMPS”