Connector Jacks for Ramps terminal Block

analog_banana
Printmaster!

Connector Jacks for Ramps terminal Block

Post by analog_banana »

One year into my journey trying to get my Rostock Max to work.
I gave up for a while, having another go.

After leaving my machine idle for some time (no moving, no bumping) I find that I'm getting no voltage from D9 or D10
The heated bed still works though, so I have a good drinks warmer.

I have ordered a new ramps board to see if that's the problem. When I wire it up I would like to use better connections
than tinned wire. I'm wondering if there are anything that will terminate thick wire to provide a more secure connection
into terminal blocks.

I've had a google, but I probably don't know the reight search term.
Anyone know of such a thing?
Ho Hum...
Rostock Max MDF Kit purchased from Creative Machines UK April 2013
RAMPS 1.4
EZStrruder
SeeMeCNC Bowden Hotend V1
Onyx
Fware: Repetier 0.91
Sware: Repetier-Host V0.95D
Jimustanguitar
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Re: Connector Jacks for Ramps terminal Block

Post by Jimustanguitar »

A picture would help.

Since this sounds like a non-standard configuration, I don't know. Perhaps someone else is familiar with Ramps from the H1 days or some other RepRap.
analog_banana
Printmaster!

Post by analog_banana »

16.JPG
Old photo, but it shows the terminal blocks to the right.
The issue I noticed is:
for the power, I need to combine loads of yellow leads from the psu
For the heated bed I nead to use really fat copper wire

I twist and solder tin the strands, but to satisfy the requirements for pwer and resistance it's really hard to get all those wires in neatly.
Fat bundles of twisted and tinned cables are not secure.

I think one board has failed, so I want to tak no risks on the next one.
Ho Hum...
RAMPS 1.4
EZStrruder
Onyx
Eric
Printmaster!

Post by Eric »

Ok, perhaps you have, but it sounds like you haven't determined whether it's a connection problem vs anything else. Those outputs also have LED's on the board that indicate when they're turned on. Are they lit? If not, then they presumably haven't been turned on in software and they SHOULD have no power. Perhaps there's a reason they're not being turned on in software, like no thermistor reading?
Assuming your led's are lit, that's a pretty good indicator, but verifying with a meter on the screw heads wouldn't hurt. This also means your ramps board is probably fine.

The LED's for D9 and D10 are on the bottom right corner of the board in your picture, obscured by the wires. The LED for D8 is just left of the mosfet with the heatsink on it, visible between wires in your picture. The numbers 8, 9, and 10 are on the silkscreen by the LED's to help you identify them.

Ok, on to the wiring. First off, you've committed one of the electrical connection sins...using solder in combination with mechanical connection. Wires should be tinned if they're going to be soldered in place, where the solder is the SOLE mechanical as well as electrical connection. Wires should NOT be tinned or soldered together if they're going to be crimped/clamped, as the solder will eventually flow and result in a loose/poor connection.

So, what to do? If you're going to still just use wires, pull them out, snip off the ends, strip, and do it again without the solder. Twisting is fine.
Another solution is to crimp the wires together into a pin-end connector, which then gives you a simple pin to clamp into the connector.
Another version of that is to clamp a short bit of heavy wire and run it to a butt-end crimp connector that collects all the wires. Or if you need a less permanent solution, a wire twist-on connector.
There are other variations on the theme, but the concept remains the same.
analog_banana
Printmaster!

Post by analog_banana »

Thanks this is just the sort of advice I am looking for. I really couldn't think of a name for what I need.

I found I had to do something to get the proscribed number of ATX power wires into the terminals
The wire bundles were just too fat and squishy to stay in otherwise...

Yeah I have been using the leds as a guide - they do indeed illuminate on cue same as always.
(well the hot end does, I don't think the d9 fan has an led indicator)
Who knows what's wrong with it? Just retire it!
Lately I have just taken to buying replacement parts of each component as soon as it fails.
I figure eventually I will get a working machine.

I will now set google to safe search and type in
Butt-end crimp connector
Ho Hum...
RAMPS 1.4
EZStrruder
Onyx
Nylocke
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by Nylocke »

It doesn't look like you have power to both sets of terminals? One goes through the 11A fuse for the bed and the other goes through the 5A fuse to the main board, motors, and hotend.

Return to “RAMPS”