Photon Elephant: A real OS for your 3D Printer.

Batteau62
Printmaster!

Photon Elephant: A real OS for your 3D Printer.

Post by Batteau62 »

This link to a kickstarter got me to thinking: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/ph ... 3d-printer" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I'm a little unresolved about the direction UI for 3d printing is evolving :?: I currently print from my laptop over the Max's usb. I've followed our community's mod's and hack's with Rasberry pi, Octoprint, SD card, USB, Wifi etc. I would love to free up my laptop. Question is, which direction to go? I realize it's a "personal choice" kind of solution, yet I'm interested to hear what you all have to say. Is this "photon elephant" a valid solution with a future?
-"Simpler is better, except when complicated looks really cool."
-"As soon as you make something fool proof...along comes an idiot."
-"I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work." ~Thomas Edison
bubbasnow
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Re: Photon Elephant: A real OS for your 3D Printer.

Post by bubbasnow »

this is neat, have you looked into linuxcnc/machinekit? its the same thing but for beaglebone black... which is a much stronger piece of hardware for about the same price of a pi. I have been running linuxcnc/machinekit on my big delta and loving it.
mhackney
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by mhackney »

I think it's use of RaspberryPi is problematic. I have not had good experience with RPi due to it being way underpowered (processor speed).

Sublime Layers - my blog on Musings and Experiments in 3D Printing Technology and Art

Start Here:
A Strategy for Successful (and Great) Prints

Strategies for Resolving Print Artifacts

The Eclectic Angler
Batteau62
Printmaster!

Post by Batteau62 »

mhackney wrote:I think it's use of RaspberryPi is problematic. I have not had good experience with RPi due to it being way underpowered (processor speed).
I remember you having issues Michael. This was my worry too.
bubbasnow wrote:this is neat, have you looked into linuxcnc/machinekit? its the same thing but for beaglebone black... which is a much stronger piece of hardware for about the same price of a pi. I have been running linuxcnc/machinekit on my big delta and loving it.
bubbasnow- I'm not familiar with linuxcnc/machinekit? I need to do some due diligence/reading. That's why I appreciate this forum so much. You always get good insightful information :D Thanks!
-"I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work." ~Thomas Edison
bubbasnow
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by bubbasnow »

Dig in. https://groups.google.com/forum/m/#!forum/machinekit" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Renha
Printmaster!

Post by Renha »

Looks like closed source and non-rtos, they could just write some kind of plugin for OctoPrint, but no. Where I need to press to pay antipledge?
3D printing is magic!

Sorry my engrish :-/ you could PM me in Russian.
teoman
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by teoman »

For your question, I would definitely go with the sdcard. It is very simple. Your mac already has an sdcard reader on its side. There is virtually no learning curve, no setup time and it is very convenient.
When on mobile I am brief and may be perceived as an arsl.
Batteau62
Printmaster!

Post by Batteau62 »

Yet another possible entry into the OS/dongle solution. What do you all think of this solution?

http://3dprint.com/38055/formideos-element-printr/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
https://formide.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Return to “Other”