Waiting for delivery

Introduce yourself to the community!
Eaglezsoar
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Re: Waiting for delivery

Post by Eaglezsoar »

jdurand wrote:Just in case anyone noticed my absence, I gut buried in work AND the 3D printed thing we're selling was touted on another interview show and apparently most people like it and are telling their friends. At this rate the Max v3 may be out before I can get back to tweaking this one in so I can sell the other products that people are asking about.

It may be a while before I'm back here. :(
It's good to see that the 3D printed item is becoming popular and I sincerely will miss your absence.
Please keep us up to date when you get back.
jdurand
Printmaster!

Post by jdurand »

Quick pop-in.

Printed stuff cranking and shipping.

Apple accessory moving slow, mostly from other people in project not available with support I would normally expect.

New age client horrified I used an aluminum bracket in a device for him, returning all 5 of them so I can change them to stainless steel. Just remember, "The customer is always right."

Had to visit the eye doc, had my vitreous detach making my eye go blurry with what looked like a hair in front. No permanent damage and my vision is coming back, should be completely normal in a month.
Standing on the edge of reality... (me)
Quando omni flunkus moritati (Red Green)
Let no man belong to another that can belong to himself. (Paracelsus)
All things are poison and nothing is without poison; only the dose makes a thing not a poison. (Ibid.)
Mac The Knife
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by Mac The Knife »

jdurand wrote:Quick pop-in.

Had to visit the eye doc, had my vitreous detach making my eye go blurry with what looked like a hair in front. No permanent damage and my vision is coming back, should be completely normal in a month.
So, not only do you have to replace the aluminum thingie, with a stainless steel thingie, you have to also replace all of your cast iron frying pans with aluminum frying pans?
Last edited by Mac The Knife on Sun Mar 15, 2015 5:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
R-Max V2
Eris
Folger Tech FT-5 R2
Eaglezsoar
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by Eaglezsoar »

Here's hoping your eye heals quick!
jdurand
Printmaster!

Post by jdurand »

Just wanted to drop in and say I was still alive. This Apple accessory project is whacking me. The mechanical engineer for the fabrication company that produces lots of Apple stuff screwed up the drawings so an iPAD doesn't actually fit. Also when we had the parts 3D printed they fell apart from being so thin in places.

The 3D printing place never noticed the thin walls, their finish wasn't good and their touch-up left crap everywhere...but they still charged top dollar.

And now the industrial designer is hard to reach.

Since I know some mechanical engineering I suddenly have to do some of this design work that I never bid on.

Of course there are other customers waiting.

And another one just approved a high bid and said he'd send a check in a week or so for most of the bill...hope he delays some, I need some sleep.

I also just found out what happens when Build Tak wears out...the entire raft comes up at once and becomes one with the hot end. Luckily I got it off, now trying to get the backing from the Build Tak off the borosilicate glass. I've got it soaking in orange oil and have it partly scraped off so far.

Oh, my eye is better. I have a permanent gnat hovering around to the lower right now, most of the time I don't notice it. I go back to the doctor shortly for a follow up just to make sure all is well.
Attachments
P4180020.JPG
P4180019.JPG
All things are poison and nothing is without poison; only the dose makes a thing not a poison. (Ibid.)
jdurand
Printmaster!

Post by jdurand »

A while back I said I would be scarce because I was up to my neck in a project. It just went live so I can tell you what I was doing:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/ki ... he-apple-i" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Mac The Knife
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by Mac The Knife »

Nice!
R-Max V2
Eris
Folger Tech FT-5 R2
jdurand
Printmaster!

Post by jdurand »

If you're into light reading, here's the patent (with my name up in pixels):
https://www.google.com/patents/US20150038133" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

This thing has been no end of trouble from a "top of the line" 3D printing firm that prints stuff around the quality of an unadjusted RMax but charges more than the cost of an RMax per item...to a mechanical engineer that I have to handhold through just about every step. I'm credited as the electrical engineer but you can chalk up a LOT of the mechanical stuff to me too.

I need a nap!
geneb
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by geneb »

That is a neat product, but it'll last right up until it runs into a pissed off kid. :)

g.
Delta Power!
Defeat the Cartesian Agenda!
http://www.f15sim.com - 80-0007, The only one of its kind.
http://geneb.simpits.org - Technical and Simulator Projects
jdurand
Printmaster!

Post by jdurand »

These are Apple customers, they'll just buy another.
geneb
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by geneb »

What I mean is that they'll just take the case off and keep using their device. :)

g.
Delta Power!
Defeat the Cartesian Agenda!
http://www.f15sim.com - 80-0007, The only one of its kind.
http://geneb.simpits.org - Technical and Simulator Projects
BenTheRighteous
Printmaster!

Post by BenTheRighteous »

then at least they learned some valuable problem solving skills, didn't they? And the there WAS an emphasis on education there, after all... ;)
nitewatchman wrote:it was much cleaner and easier than killing a chicken on top of the printer.

Return to “New Member introduction”