Hello from Indianapolis

Introduce yourself to the community!
p38nut
Prints-a-lot

Hello from Indianapolis

Post by p38nut »

I haven't ordered my Max yet, but after I get back from Alaska I'll be doing just that. I have built 2 CNC routers myself. First one was sold. Still have the second and use it about 20-25 hrs a week. Really looking forward to building the Max. I have been working with the Arduino, the Raspberry Pi and a combination of them, the Arduberry. Cool pieces. :mrgreen:
Eaglezsoar
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Re: Hello from Indianapolis

Post by Eaglezsoar »

p38nut wrote:I haven't ordered my Max yet, but after I get back from Alaska I'll be doing just that. I have built 2 CNC routers myself. First one was sold. Still have the second and use it about 20-25 hrs a week. Really looking forward to building the Max. I have been working with the Arduino, the Raspberry Pi and a combination of them, the Arduberry. Cool pieces. :mrgreen:

Welcome to the forum!
You will love your new Max.
Send us some pictures during the build process.
Happy Printing!
“ Do Not Regret Growing Older. It is a Privilege Denied to Many. ”
Howler
Plasticator

Post by Howler »

Welcome to the forum. I live in Lawrence near Castleton (recently moved from Noblesville). I got my Max going about a month or so ago. I love it. So much fun being able to create random widgets.
p38nut
Prints-a-lot

Post by p38nut »

Howler wrote:Welcome to the forum. I live in Lawrence near Castleton (recently moved from Noblesville). I got my Max going about a month or so ago. I love it. So much fun being able to create random widgets.
My wife buys into me getting one, but wants to know know what I'm going to use it for. Right now she believes me when I'm saying I'm using it to learn on. After I get it and have it running, she'll want me to actually make something with it. Did the same thing with my 2nd CNC router. Now I make fishing tournament plaques out of Corian(tm). So I better get on the ball to find things to make that she will like.
geneb
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by geneb »

I have to ask.

The can opener or the airplane? :D

g.
Delta Power!
Defeat the Cartesian Agenda!
http://www.f15sim.com - 80-0007, The only one of its kind.
http://geneb.simpits.org - Technical and Simulator Projects
p38nut
Prints-a-lot

Post by p38nut »

The airplane.. I built an RC 138"ws P-38 and have many books on the plane.
geneb
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by geneb »

\o/
Delta Power!
Defeat the Cartesian Agenda!
http://www.f15sim.com - 80-0007, The only one of its kind.
http://geneb.simpits.org - Technical and Simulator Projects
p38nut
Prints-a-lot

Post by p38nut »

Well, got back from Alaska with enough money left over to order my Max v2. Ordered it last night. Will let everyone know how assembly goes. Mike
p38nut
Prints-a-lot

Post by p38nut »

p38nut wrote:Well, got back from Alaska with enough money left over to order my Max v2. Ordered it last night. Will let everyone know how assembly goes. Mike
Got it yesterday. I opened it up to check contents and, HOLY SNIKIES!! I never saw so many parts in one place in my life!! Whoever packed all those small parts into individual packets needs to be named PACKER OF THE YEAR!! When I built my cnc routers I never had all the pieces there at one time. This is something new for me. It was well worth the cost to have everything there just waiting on me. The only thing wrong I can see is that someone should have warned me about the odor from the laser cut parts. Good thing I opened the box in the garage.

Really a nice job done guys. Thanks. Mike
p38nut
Prints-a-lot

Post by p38nut »

Got mine finished!! Calibration took me a little more time than expected. I didn't thoroughly the first time I did it. On the first print I didn't have slicr set up properly. Again didn't read and follow figure. Is the PEEK fan supposed to be inserted into the part just made while it is still warm? After everything cooled, it was a bear to insert into part. Cracked in several places. Any hints? Thanks. Mike
js1515
Plasticator

Post by js1515 »

welcome aboard fellow hoosier
Now if you'll excuse me, I'm going to go on an overnight drunk, and in 10 days I'm going to set out to find the shark that ate my friend and destroy it. Anyone who wants to tag along is more than welcome.
p38nut
Prints-a-lot

Post by p38nut »

js1515 wrote:welcome aboard fellow hoosier
I'm not a Hoosier, I'm a Boilermaker. :lol:
Generic Default
Printmaster!

Post by Generic Default »

Try scaling the part up in your slicing program and reprint it, maybe 1% bigger.

I highly recommend switching from Slic3r to Cura (google it). I think the newer versions of Slic3r are better, but Cura consistently makes better prints for me. I have the older V1 Rostock so I never had to print a fan mount, but I moved onto the Tri hotend now.

Once you get the settings dialed in and the machine calibrated you will make great prints.
Check out the Tri hotend!
lightninjay
Printmaster!

Post by lightninjay »

I'll second what Generic Default said about Cura. Its interface is slightly difficult to get used to if you're unused to what all the settings are for, however, little pop-up notes appear over each field to help give you an idea as to what the default values should be.

I'd say just try getting used to getting good prints out of Repetier-Host and the built-in slic3r configurations that Geneb had you download from the manual first. After you get your printer calibrated and think there's something more to be desired from the quality of your prints, skip on over to KISSlicer or Cura.

None of this is to say that slic3r's prints are bad, but you'll definitely notice that each slicer has its strong and weak points. One will be better at bridging, while another will be better at giving you smooth, crisp finishes on your parts. It all has to do with how the slicer decides to draw the nozzle-path for your model that you're trying to print.

That being said, welcome to the community! I'm rather new here myself and I've already got (what I call) great prints to show from all the help and information these guys and gals on the forums have shared. My advice, read as many posts as you can. Chances are, if you have a problem, someone here has encountered it before you and likely already have a solution to help. ;)
If at first you don't succeed, you're doing something wrong. Try again, and if it fails again, try once more. Through trial and error, one can be the first to accomplish something great.
Justin@Saturday
Plasticator

Post by Justin@Saturday »

p38nut wrote:
js1515 wrote:welcome aboard fellow hoosier
I'm not a Hoosier, I'm a Boilermaker. :lol:
...small world. Here I sit, reading through the forums, wearing a shirt from a bar you might know. I worked there while I was in school.
Attachments
IMG_0383.jpg

Return to “New Member introduction”