hello from portland or

Introduce yourself to the community!
stonewater
Printmaster!

hello from portland or

Post by stonewater »

Just got my shipping confirmation on Friday... yippee!! Rostock MAX in white. I am about as newb as you can get... don't even know how to use CAD yet... no problems with mechanical or electronics though.... gonna be fun!!

Tom
MAX V1
325 MM carbon arms trick trucks effector mount LED ring heat spreader
Corvair750
V6 Hotend
Robo 3D
Flashforge creator
http://WWW.TeslagenX.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; - Bedini experimenter kits, books, DVD's
neurascenic
Printmaster!

Re: hello from portland or

Post by neurascenic »

Welcome Tom!

I will be getting back to building mine this week!

Chris!
I am a fool entrapped within my own wisdom.
Eaglezsoar
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by Eaglezsoar »

stonewater wrote:Just got my shipping confirmation on Friday... yippee!! Rostock MAX in white. I am about as newb as you can get... don't even know how to use CAD yet... no problems with mechanical or electronics though.... gonna be fun!!

Tom
Congratulations on purchasing the Rostock Max and you are right, it's going to be fun!
Be sure to download the latest assembly manual located here: http://www.geneb.org/rostock-max/Rostoc ... -Guide.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
If you want to document your build we have a sub-forum for build logs and we always like to watch new builds come together.
If you have questions or problems just let us know and we will get you the help you need.
Happy Building!
“ Do Not Regret Growing Older. It is a Privilege Denied to Many. ”
stonewater
Printmaster!

Post by stonewater »

thanks eaglezsoar,
I have freecad and draftsight, but it seems I need some king of "slicer" to generate "Gcode" ? looked at a few types, seems like slic3r will do supports automatically and they have a profile for the Rostock somewhere you can download? any reccomends would be helpful, and any other software that may be easier...... I have lots of mechanical drafting in my background but never stepped into cad other than a few stabs with sketchup. do they make software that will allow me to scan in a dimensioned drawing to scale and then render it?

Tom
MAX V1
Corvair750
V6 Hotend
Robo 3D
Flashforge creator
http://WWW.TeslagenX.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; - Bedini experimenter kits, books, DVD's
Eaglezsoar
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by Eaglezsoar »

stonewater wrote:thanks eaglezsoar,
I have freecad and draftsight, but it seems I need some king of "slicer" to generate "Gcode" ? looked at a few types, seems like slic3r will do supports automatically and they have a profile for the Rostock somewhere you can download? any reccomends would be helpful, and any other software that may be easier...... I have lots of mechanical drafting in my background but never stepped into cad other than a few stabs with sketchup. do they make software that will allow me to scan in a dimensioned drawing to scale and then render it?

Tom
When you install the latest version of Repetier Host it comes with a slicer called Slic3r. This is the most popular slicer. The other two most common slicers which you would have to
download and install is one called Cura. The other is KissSlicer which is not open source, they have a free version you can use but to get the Pro version you'll have to buy it. We have
a sub-forum for the slicers and I would recommend you read some of the topics. The other program you would find helpful is called Netfabb Studio which you can download for free.
It checks STL files for errors and has the ability to repair any errors it finds. You can also scale the STL to a different size and save it with the new scaling. Slic3r is the software you'll
be using the most and there are tutorials and documention all over the internet and on this forum. You need to Google to find a lot of it but I recommend that you put in the time to
find and read the documentation as it will be the most frequently used program you will use. I don't do Cad work so I am not a lot of help in that area. Happy Printing!
“ Do Not Regret Growing Older. It is a Privilege Denied to Many. ”
stonewater
Printmaster!

Post by stonewater »

whoever said this was a 15 hr job...... lied, more like 40!!

Tom C
MAX V1
Corvair750
V6 Hotend
Robo 3D
Flashforge creator
Eaglezsoar
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by Eaglezsoar »

stonewater wrote:whoever said this was a 15 hr job...... lied, more like 40!!

Tom C
You got that right. They are selling these printers like they are toasters and John Q Public buys them thinking all they have to do is push a button and out comes a magical
bunny. They are in for a rude awakening when they see what the actual learning curve is. It takes a lot of studying and a lot of wasted filament to become proficient at using
a 3D printer. Happy Printing!

Return to “New Member introduction”