Greeting from the Submarine Capital of the World

Introduce yourself to the community!
kswaid
Plasticator

Greeting from the Submarine Capital of the World

Post by kswaid »

Greetings from the Submarine Capital of the World (or at least the town next door) in Ledyard, CT.

I work as a structural engineer for General Dynamics Electric Boat and have been out in New England for about 8 years now. My introduction to 3D printing was using a Stratasys Fortus at the high school where I am the head mentor for a FIRST robotics team (team 3719). I was intrigued by what the machines could do but shocked by their material cost and complete lack of user control in the process, so I decided to get a printer for my house. I started about a year ago with a Turnigy Fabrikator that was 50% off on Black Friday. After enjoying that and fighting plenty with it I decided to upgrade and purchased a Rostock MAX V2 three months later. The RMV2 has been nothing but great for me and has produced a ton of quality prints. I have kept the RMV2 mostly stock except for an E3D v6 and Bontech, but just received my new DUET WiFi to install. I also picked up a new ERIS in person at SeeMeCNC headquarters over the summer while back in Indiana to visit family (grew up in Ft. Wayne).

My other big hobby is motorcycles (adventure touring, trials, track days, trail riding) and I do a little RC aircraft flying as well.

Had some trouble getting on the forum, but now I am here and ready to contribute something useful (hopefully).

Kyle
morgandc
Printmaster!

Re: Greeting from the Submarine Capital of the World

Post by morgandc »

Welcome, I am kind of jealous of the v2 ( just got my first printer /a v3) since you are able to run Duet after everything I have heard about it :)
Xenocrates
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by Xenocrates »

If I have the time Morgan, you may just get a pleasant surprise one day soon, although I don't plan to tackle the i2c interface on the he280, just a mounting bracket for a duet.

More on topic, welcome to the forums kswaid, you seem like you've got some interesting projects to talk about and more in the future.
Machines:
Rostock Max V2, Duet .8.5, PT100 enabled E3D V6 and volcano, Raymond style enclosure
Automation Technology 60W laser cutter/engraver
1m X-carve router

Sic Transit Gloria Mundi
01-10011-11111100001
Eaglezsoar
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by Eaglezsoar »

Hi KSwald, I spent a lot of years in Ledyard and Groton as an electronic Technician onboard the USS Lafayette SSBN616 submarine.
That brings back a lot of good memories.
Thanks for buying the Seemecnc pinters.

kswaid wrote:Greetings from the Submarine Capital of the World (or at least the town next door) in Ledyard, CT.

I work as a structural engineer for General Dynamics Electric Boat and have been out in New England for about 8 years now. My introduction to 3D printing was using a Stratasys Fortus at the high school where I am the head mentor for a FIRST robotics team (team 3719). I was intrigued by what the machines could do but shocked by their material cost and complete lack of user control in the process, so I decided to get a printer for my house. I started about a year ago with a Turnigy Fabrikator that was 50% off on Black Friday. After enjoying that and fighting plenty with it I decided to upgrade and purchased a Rostock MAX V2 three months later. The RMV2 has been nothing but great for me and has produced a ton of quality prints. I have kept the RMV2 mostly stock except for an E3D v6 and Bontech, but just received my new DUET WiFi to install. I also picked up a new ERIS in person at SeeMeCNC headquarters over the summer while back in Indiana to visit family (grew up in Ft. Wayne).

My other big hobby is motorcycles (adventure touring, trials, track days, trail riding) and I do a little RC aircraft flying as well.

Had some trouble getting on the forum, but now I am here and ready to contribute something useful (hopefully).

Kyle
kswaid
Plasticator

Post by kswaid »

I'll admit that as soon as everything was calibrated and printing well I made a 3ft long Virginia class model to sit on my bookshelf at work. The Rostock made pretty quick work of that. Sadly I forgot to take a picture and can not do so at work.
Mac The Knife
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by Mac The Knife »

Guess you'll just have to print another one. :)
R-Max V2
Eris
Folger Tech FT-5 R2
kswaid
Plasticator

Post by kswaid »

Mac The Knife wrote:Guess you'll just have to print another one. :)
You can imagine how many people have asked me to make them one.
Xenocrates
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by Xenocrates »

kswaid wrote:
Mac The Knife wrote:Guess you'll just have to print another one. :)
You can imagine how many people have asked me to make them one.
173% of the people employed in your office?
Machines:
Rostock Max V2, Duet .8.5, PT100 enabled E3D V6 and volcano, Raymond style enclosure
Automation Technology 60W laser cutter/engraver
1m X-carve router

Sic Transit Gloria Mundi
01-10011-11111100001
geneb
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by geneb »

...or just upload the STL and we'll take it from there. :D :D :D

g.
Delta Power!
Defeat the Cartesian Agenda!
http://www.f15sim.com - 80-0007, The only one of its kind.
http://geneb.simpits.org - Technical and Simulator Projects
kswaid
Plasticator

Post by kswaid »

Oh, I am far too afraid of a security violation due to insider knowledge to even think about creating a model. Instead I found one on thingiverse that is very nicely done.

http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:576033
geneb
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by geneb »

itar, schmitar.... :D

g.
Delta Power!
Defeat the Cartesian Agenda!
http://www.f15sim.com - 80-0007, The only one of its kind.
http://geneb.simpits.org - Technical and Simulator Projects
kswaid
Plasticator

Post by kswaid »

...but me saying that model is nicely done does not constitute a confirmation of any features or measurements...

Return to “New Member introduction”