A good replacement for 123D Design?

http://www.123dapp.com/
Ricky_Spanish
Prints-a-lot

A good replacement for 123D Design?

Post by Ricky_Spanish »

I absolutely loved 123D Design. I say loved, because now it runs when it wants to, crashes in the middle of projects, the online version seems to be gone, and I've lost all of the models I had designed. Has anyone used a simple click and drag type CAD software like it? Fusion 360 isn't nearly as intuitive, and TinkerCAD is even worse, IMO. I do a lot of simple models and just need something quick and easy like 123D used to be.
Jimustanguitar
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Re: A good replacement for 123D Design?

Post by Jimustanguitar »

There's not a browser based element to it, but I'm really happy with DSM2. I've sketched things out quickly and done pretty complex things with multiple parts in assemblies.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WYcAZVgKWPA[/youtube]
stonewater
Printmaster!

Post by stonewater »

I switched a couple of weeks ago. have not looked back...

Tom c
MAX V1
325 MM carbon arms trick trucks effector mount LED ring heat spreader
Corvair750
V6 Hotend
Robo 3D
Flashforge creator
http://WWW.TeslagenX.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; - Bedini experimenter kits, books, DVD's
Ricky_Spanish
Prints-a-lot

Post by Ricky_Spanish »

Thanks, guys! I actually just got 123D to work again, but I will definitely be looking into this one tonight. It's getting so that I spend more time troubleshooting than designing. :roll:
0110-m-p
Printmaster!

Post by 0110-m-p »

You should also check out OnShape. It is fully in browser, so computer power doesn't really matter, and is much more intuitive than Fusion 360 in my book. Fusion 360 still seems more powerful and I tend to use it more, but am starting to recommend it less because it isn't intuitive.

DesignSpark Mechanical is easy to use, but I still can't get past the fact that I can't export STEP files or edit imported STEP files with it. I'm about to start a 2-week trial with SpaceClaim Engineer (basically the really expensive paid version of DSM without any of the draw backs), so we'll see how that goes.
Current Machines || Rostock Max (V1) | V3DR ||
Previous Machines || Flashforge Creator Pro ||
mechneering
Plasticator

Post by mechneering »

OnShape seems to be pretty decent. I have played around with it a little bit, and it seems to work well. I have access to Solidworks So I haven't spent a lot of time trying out the other versions. I was less impressed with DesignSpark Mechanical. Maybe it was just the difference in UI between it and Solidworks, but I struggled to make it do what I wanted.
Jimustanguitar
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by Jimustanguitar »

The limitation in OnShape is that you can only have 10 private documents before you have to step up to a paid subscription.

I think I'll be using Fusion 360 when I outgrow DesignSpark. The import/export hasn't been a limitation for me because I'm only exporting things to print, so far.
0110-m-p
Printmaster!

Post by 0110-m-p »

Jimustanguitar wrote:The limitation in OnShape is that you can only have 10 private documents before you have to step up to a paid subscription.
This is the biggest limitation for me as well with OnShape, but for most people who are just designing stuff for their printer that they will end up sharing anyway it works fairly well. Also, as far as paid software goes, it's pretty cheap considering there is no $4k start up cost like there is with Solidworks, Spaceclaim, IronCAD, etc....but, as far as paid software goes it is also fairly feature limited. Get what you pay for I guess.

There is one trick that I think might work with OnShape to get around the private document limitation. Any file you create and complete, export it and save it somewhere locally. Then delete it from your OnShape private library. Rinse...repeat.
Current Machines || Rostock Max (V1) | V3DR ||
Previous Machines || Flashforge Creator Pro ||

Return to “AutoDesk 123D”