Move sketch in Fusion

http://www.123dapp.com/
DeltaCon
Printmaster!

Move sketch in Fusion

Post by DeltaCon »

There seems to be no Fusion group here, so I'm thinking this group is the closest ;-)
I am trying to get some understanding of Fusion, because that seems to be what a lot of people use. Coming from an graphic design angle (CorelDraw), I find the learning curve pretty steep. Nevertheless I was able to get this done already, although I must admit I cheated and made the tracing and sketchdesign of the logo's in CorelDraw and imported it into Fusion as an SVG.
DuetInside.png
This is a frontplate for my V2, which I converted to Duet recently. My intention is to have the logo's centered on the frontplate, and I want to try a live colorswitch for the first time. But I can't seem to move the logo's to the top of the buildplate (or move at all). I youtubed for two nights and found that many many people suffer the same lack of understanding. Nearly all solutions have something to do with unfix/fix, but I tried that and it makes no difference. Now I did the whole design over, and there isn't even an unfix/fix option to be found anymore.

Can someone explain in simple English what I do wrong?
The plate and the logo's are separate sketches in the browser already.
Thanks!
I am DeltaCon, I have a delta, my name is Con, I am definitely PRO delta! ;-)
Rostock V2 / E3D Volcano / FSR kit / Duet 0.6

PS.: Sorry for the avatar, that's my other hobby!
RichWP
Prints-a-lot

Re: Move sketch in Fusion

Post by RichWP »

Hi,

I generally try do do everything I can in a single sketch, and then extrude the different body parts separately - I think that's the easiest (since you have access to the dimension tool, constraints, fix/unfix, midpoints, etc.). So...

1. Draw everything out in a sketch: Your frame, logo and icons exactly where you want them placed on the finished piece.
2. Extrude the frame rectangle -say 4 mm
3. Extrude the logo and icons in the same direction as you extruded the frame - say 6mm. Make sure that the extrude result is a 'join'
Y
ou should now have a rectangle, with your logo and icons embossed 2mm on top of it.

Anyhow, back to your issue... When you do the 'M' (move) - are you sure that you have 'Move Object' is set to 'Bodies' (not 'faces' or 'sketch bodies')? This should allow you to move/position the logo on top of the face plate, where you can then do a 'modify-->combine' and 'join' the pieces into one. I just tried it, and it works fine for me.

Hopefully I interpreted your problem correctly... Let me know if I didn't and I'll try to help.

Rich.
DeltaCon
Printmaster!

Post by DeltaCon »

Thanks, I will try tomorrow. I am not at home tonight.

I think if you import from SVG it automagically becomes a separate sketch, doesn't it?

The difference between bodies, sketch body, elements selection groups and thins like that is still a bit vague to me. I think those really don't get enough attention in the "first-steps" video's.
I am DeltaCon, I have a delta, my name is Con, I am definitely PRO delta! ;-)
Rostock V2 / E3D Volcano / FSR kit / Duet 0.6

PS.: Sorry for the avatar, that's my other hobby!
geneb
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by geneb »

When you print that, pause just after it starts the graphics & lettering and change to a different (contrasting) color filament. Would look awesome. :)

g.
Delta Power!
Defeat the Cartesian Agenda!
http://www.f15sim.com - 80-0007, The only one of its kind.
http://geneb.simpits.org - Technical and Simulator Projects
TwoTone
Printmaster!

Post by TwoTone »

While I can't answer your question directly- My son just started using fusion when he got the printer. There are some great videos out for it.

I do remember seeing one at some point where the person did exactly what you're trying to do.

I'd try Youtube
bubbasnow
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by bubbasnow »

So, probably the most useful part about fusion is its cloud based file structure.. you could easily make a shared folder in fusion and allow people access to assist with your issue.
Xenocrates
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by Xenocrates »

If they started as two different sketches that were saved separately (AKA designs), you need to use the component mode on the move tool (Which I mostly find annoying). If you want to move the extruded 3D objects, move body. Otherwise move sketch (I cannot think of a lot of justifications for move face, which it seems to default to now, as it doesn't allow you to warp the figure with arbitrary movements like say Maya would). Another option would be to export the two as STL's, and co-position them in the slicer, which also usually works.
Machines:
Rostock Max V2, Duet .8.5, PT100 enabled E3D V6 and volcano, Raymond style enclosure
Automation Technology 60W laser cutter/engraver
1m X-carve router

Sic Transit Gloria Mundi
01-10011-11111100001

Return to “AutoDesk 123D”