mhackney's KISS settings

Talk about KISSlicer software here (http://kisslicer.com)
6bolt2g
Prints-a-lot

Re: mhackney's KISS settings

Post by 6bolt2g »

harley573 wrote:Leave it to me to somehow have a completely different set of choices from everyone else. Any ideas about why I don't have the option to "transform axes"?
I'm having this same issue, have you resolved this yet?

I'm loving KISSlicer, but I'm limited because I can't rotate the objects...

Edit:

I was using 1.0.9, downloaded 1.1.0 here. Problem solved.
"like, right now, 3D printing is in the DOS stages with the big black floppy disk OS"
jesse
Printmaster!

Post by jesse »

mhackney,

Would you please post the other Kisslicer settings that you're using?

The info under printer and ptr g-code would be useful to know.
mhackney
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by mhackney »

I'm not sure what you are asking for, I posted all of the KISS config files I thought?

Sublime Layers - my blog on Musings and Experiments in 3D Printing Technology and Art

Start Here:
A Strategy for Successful (and Great) Prints

Strategies for Resolving Print Artifacts

The Eclectic Angler
jesse
Printmaster!

Post by jesse »

mhackney wrote:I'm not sure what you are asking for, I posted all of the KISS config files I thought?
sorry, my mistake. the info was in printers.ini.
mhackney
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by mhackney »

Ok, great

Sublime Layers - my blog on Musings and Experiments in 3D Printing Technology and Art

Start Here:

The Eclectic Angler
ichiban
Plasticator

Post by ichiban »

Thanks for the ini files. It seems that once I slice a file and try to run it in the repetier software, it doesn't turn the extruder heater on, only the bed. I looked at the g-code prefix, and things look okay there with

G28
M104 S<TEMP>
M190 S<BEDTEMP>
M109 S<TEMP>

but in repetier, the gcode doesn't generate a value for either temps, only for bedtemp.
Polygonhell
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by Polygonhell »

ichiban wrote:Thanks for the ini files. It seems that once I slice a file and try to run it in the repetier software, it doesn't turn the extruder heater on, only the bed. I looked at the g-code prefix, and things look okay there with

G28
M104 S<TEMP>
M190 S<BEDTEMP>
M109 S<TEMP>

but in repetier, the gcode doesn't generate a value for either temps, only for bedtemp.
What does the generated GCode look like?
JohnStack
Printmaster!

Post by JohnStack »

I installed your settings, loaded up http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:15258 and in a single print, nailed it.

THANK YOU VERY MUCH. Your contributions are in a word, invaluable.

(This was after fruitlessly doing four attempts with Slic3r.)
Technologist, Maker, Willing to question conventional logic
http://dropc.am/p/KhiI1a" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
designfactore
Prints-a-lot

Post by designfactore »

Hey mhackney,

I just switched from Slic3r to KissSlicer with your settings on my RostockMAX and OOOOOoh MAN! It's like I have a totally different printer!!! I had been playing around for weeks with settings in Slic3r and hadn't gotten prints even half as good, and was about to suspect that my RoMax arms had too much slop to print any better.

I use my RoMax for work. I've been building toy prototypes for 11 years and until now, have machined, molded, and vacuum-formed plastics with entirely manual methods, so I can especially appreciate that you've tweaked settings by material color. I know by firsthand experience that material color DOES have a big influence on melt characteristics. You've literally saved me weeks of potentially fruitless tinkering while on the clock! Cheers to you for sharing what you must have spent SO much time on, it's no small contribution.
dpmacri
Printmaster!

Post by dpmacri »

I've been having stringing problems with Slic3r and it was suggested that I try KISSlicer. So I did. But I'm having trouble with KISSlicer not putting out enough plastic to stick to the bed. There are a ton of settings and I'll start going through them but perhaps someone knows off the top of their head, "Ahh, you need to do XYZ"?
dpmacri
Printmaster!

Post by dpmacri »

Nevermind -- turns out my extruder/hot-end is jammed. Nothing to do with KISSlicer :-(
krak
Prints-a-lot

Post by krak »

I see this thread has been quite for a little while, but I was wondering if there are any updated ini files that work for the win64 version of 1.1.0? And might there be any tips to integrate this into Repetier? Thank you -Kyle
Eaglezsoar
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by Eaglezsoar »

krak wrote:I see this thread has been quite for a little while, but I was wondering if there are any updated ini files that work for the win64 version of 1.1.0? And might there be any tips to integrate this into Repetier? Thank you -Kyle
There has been no upgrades to these files that I have seen and Michael is rarely on the forum these days. Perhaps someone who is reading this will offer up some files.
bubbasnow
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by bubbasnow »

krak wrote:I see this thread has been quite for a little while, but I was wondering if there are any updated ini files that work for the win64 version of 1.1.0? And might there be any tips to integrate this into Repetier? Thank you -Kyle

i didnt have issues using these files on my win64 version of kiss. although now, i have far modified all of the settings except for the printer settings portion.
mhackney
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by mhackney »

I'm back for the winter "printing season". Kiss version 1.1.0 is still the latest update and my ini files were created for 1.1.0. Repetier also appears not to have been updated for a while with the Mac release but the Windows release has. I have not checked the new features out but plan to in the near future. I can run either OSX or Windows software chain but prefer to stay in native OSX if possible.

cheers,
Michael

Start Here:

The Eclectic Angler
Eaglezsoar
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by Eaglezsoar »

mhackney wrote:I'm back for the winter "printing season". Kiss version 1.1.0 is still the latest update and my ini files were created for 1.1.0. Repetier also appears not to have been updated for a while with the Mac release but the Windows release has. I have not checked the new features out but plan to in the near future. I can run either OSX or Windows software chain but prefer to stay in native OSX if possible.

cheers,
Michael
Welcome back Michael, you haven't been on much because of time limitations. I figured the weather would have to slow you down a little.
“ Do Not Regret Growing Older. It is a Privilege Denied to Many. ”
mhackney
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by mhackney »

yeah, between a full time high tech job and my home-based fly fishing reel and book publishing business, I don't have a lot of free time. The home based business is seasonal - spring through Christmas. So I usually get the first 5 or 6 months of the year to do fun things like 3D printing.

cheers,
Michael

Start Here:

The Eclectic Angler
Eaglezsoar
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by Eaglezsoar »

mhackney wrote:yeah, between a full time high tech job and my home-based fly fishing reel and book publishing business, I don't have a lot of free time. The home based business is seasonal - spring through Christmas. So I usually get the first 5 or 6 months of the year to do fun things like 3D printing.

cheers,
Michael
And we get the first five or 6 months sucking your brain dry of all the knowledge up their and just generally screwing with Michael. I didn't have anyone to mess with for quite a
while. Cambo3D doesn't get on much anymore so all I had to screw with was Geneb, Fashon and a few others but now that you're back I can have fun again.
“ Do Not Regret Growing Older. It is a Privilege Denied to Many. ”
Print_This
Printmaster!

Post by Print_This »

thanks for the nice settings,
what about PLA Black settings? any good starting points?

also along with the basic m28 ( home all )i use the following gcode in "Postfix" to shut down temps along with disabling stepper motors

Code: Select all

M104 S0 ; turn off temperature
M140 S0 ; turn off bed temps
M84; disable motors
--------------
If you survive chicago winters you can survive 3d printing!
mhackney
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by mhackney »

First, test your black PLA by extruding into air and looking for the optimal flow temperature. Start at 180°C and increment by 5° until the material flows without stalling the stepper.

Then, measure the diameter of the filament in 4 spots and average them.

Now, take any of the existing PLA settings, copy them to make a new setting - calling it PLA Black or whatever you want. And simply change the temperature and diameter.

This is the general process I use for a starting configuration with any new filament. It will get you in the ball park and is usually fine for >90% of the filaments I get. You can then tweak from there if needed.

cheers,
Michael

Start Here:

The Eclectic Angler
Print_This
Printmaster!

Post by Print_This »

mhackney wrote:First, test your black PLA by extruding into air and looking for the optimal flow temperature. Start at 180°C and increment by 5° until the material flows without stalling the stepper.

Then, measure the diameter of the filament in 4 spots and average them.

Now, take any of the existing PLA settings, copy them to make a new setting - calling it PLA Black or whatever you want. And simply change the temperature and diameter.

This is the general process I use for a starting configuration with any new filament. It will get you in the ball park and is usually fine for >90% of the filaments I get. You can then tweak from there if needed.

cheers,
Michael
great thanks for the great tips! i will do that!, seems my PLA black from ultimachine oooses out more then other colors. with killslicer i get way better results then i ever do with slic3r thats for sure.
--------------
If you survive chicago winters you can survive 3d printing!
crocky
Printmaster!

Post by crocky »

Thanks for your settings, it sure makes it easy when we have people like you here :)

I got a licence too...

Just trying a large owl without support and at 150% speed, wheeee!!
Bob
Rostock Max V2, Ball Cup Arms, New Carriages, HE280, Dampers, PSU Breathing, Simplify 3D, GeckoTek3D, Raspberry Pi3. Duet soon... Kossel Mini still under construction.
Delta's are the way!
tehwadeski
Plasticator

Post by tehwadeski »

I was wondering if these have changed now that you've migrated to the V3. I am happily using matter control with my v3 at the moment, but am considering running KISS in parallel to have two slicers for comparison.

Thanks
mhackney
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by mhackney »

The biggest difference are around the hot end. The V3 has a .5mm nozzle as stock and the HE280 hot end behaves more like an E3D hotend - this means SMALL RETRACTS - 2mm tops. Other than that, the HE280 seems to require more heat to print as you go faster than around 40mm/s. No hard fast formula for that though, you just need to experiment and see how your filament behaves.

Start Here:

The Eclectic Angler
Twac1
Printmaster!

Post by Twac1 »

ok so im a little confused. when using these settings how do I enter the Gcode in? I assume I cant just copy paste?

Return to “KISSlicer”