Gaps in top & bottom surfaces

Talk about KISSlicer software here (http://kisslicer.com)
TN Yankee
Printmaster!

Gaps in top & bottom surfaces

Post by TN Yankee »

I'm new to KISS since 1.6.1, and am trying to figure out how to close up the gaps in the top & bottom surfaces. I've tried changing the extrusion multiplier ("flow tweak") from 0.9 - 1.0, the extrusion width 0.60 - 0.66 (0.60 nozzle), and the infill extrusion width from 0.72 - 0.60.

With a flow tweak of 0.98, the walls are ~0.66mm, but outside dimensions are about 0.15mm too small.

The program's terminology is different, and so it's not real obvious to me if the infill extrusion width affects top & bottom solid surfaces, or not, or what other settings might be the cause.

I have had this issue in S3D previously, but not as noticeable. That could imply either a hardware problem, or just me messing with the wrong parameters.

Printer is V2, Duet Ethernet with 1.19 f/w, Haydn Huntley 307mm mag arms, Duet SmartEffector with genuine E3D hot-end. Filament is MakerGeek's black PETG, measured at 1.74. All parts in these pix are 0.30 layer height, including first layer.

Any help would be appreciated. I'd like to try printing some molds for silicone, and obviously need a smoother surface.
Top surface (PETG is translucent). Can easily see layer below.
Top surface (PETG is translucent). Can easily see layer below.
Bottom surface
Bottom surface
Another top surface
Another top surface
Printer.png
material.png
Style.png
Xenocrates
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Re: Gaps in top & bottom surfaces

Post by Xenocrates »

Apologies for letting this get away from us, but I believe that given it's multiple pieces of software, you need to calibrate the extruder properly. 626 pilot has a wonderful calibration thread here: http://forum.seemecnc.com/viewtopic.php?f=36&t=10081
Machines:
Rostock Max V2, Duet .8.5, PT100 enabled E3D V6 and volcano, Raymond style enclosure
Automation Technology 60W laser cutter/engraver
1m X-carve router

Sic Transit Gloria Mundi
01-10011-11111100001
TN Yankee
Printmaster!

Post by TN Yankee »

Thanks, Xenocrates. Yes, that's what I've done, basically "back to square one." I re-measured the filament, re-cal'd the extruder, and went through his thread. While the X & Y aren't as close to each other as I'd like, they are sufficiently good for now. In the future, I hope to replace all the melamine with aluminum framing.

Thanks for the reply!
mhackney
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by mhackney »

What was the result of tuning our extruder's esteps? Your photos and description and KISS settings tell me that your extruder calibration is off. Also, please watch my KISSlicer 1.6 YouTube tutorial videos. I've already completed a video on perimeters/loops which will also help you quite a bit. I am working on one that deals with understanding infill, etc. The "Crown" tutorial is also helpful to fill small gaps and worth understanding. As for terminology, I'm working on a Universal Slicer Terminology Translator (USTT) blog post.

Sublime Layers - my blog on Musings and Experiments in 3D Printing Technology and Art

Start Here:
A Strategy for Successful (and Great) Prints

Strategies for Resolving Print Artifacts

The Eclectic Angler
TN Yankee
Printmaster!

Post by TN Yankee »

Sorry for the belated reply, gentlemen. Yes, re-tuning my EZR e-steps generally resolved the glaring issues I posted above. I've already run the temperature wizard on some different PETG from what I used above, and will run the flow rate soon.

Michael - thanks for your tutorials here over the years, as well as your new KISS series.

Return to “KISSlicer”