Artemis extruder calibration question

The one, the only, the Atremis. Forum for the monster metal machine from SeeMeCNC
sandy
Printmaster!

Artemis extruder calibration question

Post by sandy »

My Artemis arrived and I ran the test print Benchy that came out well. Then I tried something else with a bridge that came out quite badly. So, first step calibrate the extruder, but when I tried, I found something that surprised me.

I measured 120mm, had the printer extrude 100mm at 205C and F30 and only ~27mm extruded. I tried again at F15 and again at 200C. Results were much the same. I tried 50mm and the same (only about 1/4 extrudes)

I don't understand how the E steps would be so badly out of whack and still have the Benchy come out well.
The config.g file is the one from SeemeCNC:
M92 E182.0:182.0 ; Set extruder steps/mm

What results have you/anyone else gotten from calibrating the extruder?

thanks,

-sandy
geneb
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Re: Artemis extruder calibration question

Post by geneb »

Were you extruding from the Duet control panel? If so, what does "F30" or "F15" mean?

Note that you don't calibrate the extruder by measuring output at the nozzle, you measure remove the bowden tube from the extruder and measure at the point where the filament exits the extruder.

g.
Delta Power!
Defeat the Cartesian Agenda!
http://www.f15sim.com - 80-0007, The only one of its kind.
http://geneb.simpits.org - Technical and Simulator Projects
sandy
Printmaster!

Post by sandy »

F30 and F15 are gcode for the speed the filament is extruded. I've tried both with the duet-web extrude button, and with gcode commands
(FYI, I have a duet-wifi on my Rostock v1, upgraded to Metal Max - so I'm familiar with the board and the printer)

Yes, I measured the length of the filament going into the bowden tube from the spool, and then measured the remaining filament from my mark to the point of entrance into the EZR struder.

Interestingly, when I went to run autocalibrate this morning, I heated up the hot-end and retracted 100mm (so there wouldn't be any leakage during calibration) and ~100mm (I didn't measure) of filament retracted.

So.... I don't know, this is why I'm curious. What's your EZR struder E-steps?
geneb
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by geneb »

It's currently set at 182.0 - I've run close to 3kgs of filament through my Artemis and I've had zero issues that weren't attributable to a bad slice.

I'm using Cura 3.1 with the SE300 profiles from the git repo - my only changes have been to the temperatures used.

g.
Delta Power!
Defeat the Cartesian Agenda!
http://www.f15sim.com - 80-0007, The only one of its kind.
http://geneb.simpits.org - Technical and Simulator Projects
sandy
Printmaster!

Re: Artemis extruder calibration question - even weirder

Post by sandy »

There's definitely something wrong - when I try to extrude any filament using the Duet-wifi web interface button, the EZR struder just studders and doesn't forward the filament.
Temps 205, 200, 195, speeds 30, 15. But, when I slowed it way down to 5mm/sec . I found out what is really going on. I marked the filament every 10mm for 50mm. At 195C I hit extrude 50mm, Speed 5mm.

it extruded as expected for 30mm, the between 30 and 40 it began reversing/forward/reverse/forward stopping at ~38mm. WTF?

I've never seen this before. This is an Artemis RTP, and all firmware/software is stock SEEMECNC, all I did for this test was lower the temp from 205 to 195.
dc42
Printmaster!

Post by dc42 »

Either there is a bad crimp connection in the motor cable, or the stepper driver chip is faulty.
sandy
Printmaster!

Post by sandy »

thanks. I contacted seemecnc support.

Return to “Artemis”