20161123 dev firmware

A place to talk about developmental stuff (firmware/software/hardware etc)
johnoly99
Printmaster!

20161123 dev firmware

Post by johnoly99 »

Hey guys, here's a dev release of firmware for anyone whos comfortable testing. It does some new stuff with probing, like comparing taps, incrementing sensitivity and other things. Ryan will be along shortly to elaborate :)
pouncingiguana
Printmaster!

Re: 20161123 dev firmware

Post by pouncingiguana »

Here's the nuts and bolts:

- The new probing routine (G29) has a bunch of incremental changes, fixes, and optimizations in it. Running G29 to calibrate will get you better results than the old probing routines.

- The old probing gcodes (G69, G68, G30) are still there and they still work but they are now considered legacy code and will probably not be updated in the near future.

- Probe sensitivity values have been tweaked and will change during probing if the firmware detects a problem. This will cause the tests to run multiple times, but will tweak the sensitivity each time.

- G29 does not do a separate check for Z Height, it uses the check from the center of the horizontal radius probe.

- Horizontal radius is changed incrementally now and will run until the increments are less than 0.1mm or 3 times, whichever happens first
Mac The Knife
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by Mac The Knife »

Will this be for all platforms, or just the R-Maxes?
R-Max V2
Eris
Folger Tech FT-5 R2
PartDaddy
Printmaster!

Post by PartDaddy »

Here's a couple notes if you're going to venture into this. All of our printers at the shop are working great with the DEV branch as of TODAY !!

1) open arduino then File>Examples>EEPROM>eeprom_clear
2) connect printer and upload eeprom clear to erase everything on your RAMBo
3) open the new DEV downloaded from github.com/seemecnc in the arduino editor
4) for Rostock MAX v3: make sure the PRINTER 5, MOTHERBOARD 301, and POWER_SUPPLY 2 are selected. Change nothing else anywhere, I don't care what you read on the forum. :)
5) upload the new firmware to your printer
6) make sure there is no plastic on the nozzle, bed is clear, and all heat is turn off at nozzle and bed. Also check for flatness of your bed.
7) insert the SD card (for reasons)
8) from the LCD: ADVANCED SETTINGS>CALIBRATION MENU> FULL CALIBRATION> BEGIN CALIBRATION

Please share results here if you are going to try it. Eventually, DEVelopment code will be merged into the master.

Notes:
A) This is just like executing the G29 command ONLY.
B) DO NOT run old calibration script as it will not do anything different.
C) It's normal for the SIX bed clamps to be only snug on the glass bed surface. With finger pressure force, you can still move the glass. The print head doesn't have much force during printing.
DEV DOWNLOAD_developmentment_in-progress-work
DEV DOWNLOAD_developmentment_in-progress-work
SeeMeCNC Repetier 0922 firmware setup notes
SeeMeCNC Repetier 0922 firmware setup notes
~PartDaddy
SeeMeCNC Owner & Founder
Blackpoint Engineering is SeeMeCNC
Since 1996
duvdev
Printmaster!

Post by duvdev »

That is Cool. Will that it soon.
If I have a max v2 with probing board what are the correct values for printer and Power supply?
johnoly99
Printmaster!

Post by johnoly99 »

Hey there Devdev,

The dev and unstable branches should be considered for advanced users only. Both of those branches come with little to no official support yet, until those changes are commited to the 'master' branch. That said, if you're unsure of what values to enter in firmware files or not sure how/where to find them, you should stick to the master branch until changes are verified that they are really improvements by the community and made live in the master branch.

We in no way want to discourage people from 'blazing a new trail' into things they've never done before and learning new skills etc... but we're finding our customer support getting overloaded with a lot of people trying and testing firwmare, hardware, mods, tweaks, suggestions etc... that we don't always know about, and it makes serving up our awesome customer support a challenge to say the least. We openly offer up the 'experimental' stuff like these dev/unstable branches for any and all to have a go with, but they are going to have to be able to go their own with it per se.
DerStig
Printmaster!

Post by DerStig »

With my he280 upgraded Rostock Max V2 do I need to invert the Y motor like all previous versions? Also I have 300mm arms do I need to change anything for them?
mhackney
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by mhackney »

G30 is very useful to set Z max height, I would suggest not deprecating it.

Sublime Layers - my blog on Musings and Experiments in 3D Printing Technology and Art

Start Here:
A Strategy for Successful (and Great) Prints

Strategies for Resolving Print Artifacts

The Eclectic Angler
mhackney
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by mhackney »

DerStig, yes the orientation of the Y stepper is different between the V2 and V3 - this is a configuration option, not a firmware thing. So you will need to invert Y.

And yes, you need to change the diagonal rod length, the auto calibration does not calibrate this and I assert it should not. The way to set diagonal rod length properly is to get the rest of calibration correct then test print. Use the X-Y dimensions of the test print to calculate the diagonal rod length. Check my V1 build thread or blog for info on how to do this scaling. Trying to calculate this value without an actual reference is not a good idea. The Open DAC stuff used to do this and I think it still does. Don't use it or follow up with a known test print and check dimensions as per my blog.

Sublime Layers - my blog on Musings and Experiments in 3D Printing Technology and Art

Start Here:

The Eclectic Angler
johnoly99
Printmaster!

Post by johnoly99 »

DerStig wrote:With my he280 upgraded Rostock Max V2 do I need to invert the Y motor like all previous versions? Also I have 300mm arms do I need to change anything for them?
Derstig. See my previous post. Dev branch or unstable branch as well as non-OEM parts are in the 'blaze your own trail" category. You have both if you go with a dev firmware flash. Stick with the master branch for now if you're unsure what you need to do to make these experimental branches work on your machine
johnoly99
Printmaster!

Post by johnoly99 »

mhackney wrote:G30 is very useful to set Z max height, I would suggest not deprecating it.
Yes it is Michael. We won't be depreciating ANY of the individual M codes, in fact they will be made whole again if Ryan (pouncingiguana) hasn't already ;) You'll still be able to run them individually if you want/need to, but the full calibration will only need G29 to run
Mac The Knife
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by Mac The Knife »

Will the new probing routine in this firmware work with the Eris also? There's no sense in me trying it if the the probing routine is only for a larger diameter print area.
R-Max V2
Eris
Folger Tech FT-5 R2
johnoly99
Printmaster!

Post by johnoly99 »

Hey mac. It sure will. It's changes to the actual code not the machines themselves.
HComet
Prints-a-lot

Post by HComet »

It would be nice if Ryan added something to G30 similar to what @kraegar did here: http://forum.seemecnc.com/viewtopic.php ... &hilit=G30 to allow probes at specific locations.

Then if someone could convince @DC42 to add an API to his online least squares calibration tool we could create a plugin for Octiprint to do an automatic least squares calibration similar to the one on the Duet.

I know this is counter to using the new G29 but it allows for a use of the least squares algorithm outside the constraints of the Rambo board.

Just a thought...
geneb
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by geneb »

HComet, dc42's code is open source, so there's no real API needed.

g.
Delta Power!
Defeat the Cartesian Agenda!
http://www.f15sim.com - 80-0007, The only one of its kind.
http://geneb.simpits.org - Technical and Simulator Projects
HComet
Prints-a-lot

Post by HComet »

geneb wrote:HComet, dc42's code is open source, so there's no real API needed.

g.
True. But then I'd have to figure out how it works. :D
mhackney
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by mhackney »

You'd have to figure out how an API works too. I've looked at the source and it is well organized and straightforward.

Start Here:

The Eclectic Angler

Return to “Development Topics”