Ferrite Beads Yes or No

The new for 2016 RostockMAX v3!
MoparBob
Noob

Ferrite Beads Yes or No

Post by MoparBob »

I am receiving my Rostock Max v3 tomorrow and have been doing a ton of research on build issues. One that got my attention had to do with calibration issues and the solution. That solution seems to be encasing the accelerometer wires at both the hotend and the Rambo with a ferrite bead at each end. That was all discussed over 6 months ago. SeeMeCNC implied in their comments in that post that that would not be necessary since a firmware update would take care of the issue.

So, can someone shed some light on the current status of this issue? Also, as a general note regarding the build, is it a best practice to tin the wires that are placed in the hotend plug. There was some discussion regarding making sure the ends of the wires are not frayed and of equal length. It seems to me, tinning these wires before inserting them into the plug would do the trick. Anyone wish to comment on that?
Toddwagner
Prints-a-lot

Re: Ferrite Beads Yes or No

Post by Toddwagner »

Don't do it if the instructions don't say to! :lol:
Last edited by Toddwagner on Fri Jul 21, 2017 1:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
geneb
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by geneb »

1. Putting ferrite beads on the hot end wires basically ensures that the i2c signal gets damped out. Don't do it.

2. Tinning leads that go into compression terminals or other friction-fit connections guarantees connection failure at some point in the future. Don't do it.

:)

g.
Delta Power!
Defeat the Cartesian Agenda!
http://www.f15sim.com - 80-0007, The only one of its kind.
http://geneb.simpits.org - Technical and Simulator Projects
Jimustanguitar
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by Jimustanguitar »

In somewhat related topics... Don't tin any wires that aren't explicitly solder connections. Crimping pins on to tinned wires will lead to failure, and so will putting tinned leads into screw terminals. All of those connection types rely on compression and copper's malleability, which isn't the same after wicking solder into it.

Return to “RostockMAX v3”