z height

The new for 2016 RostockMAX v3!
richy14ca
Noob

z height

Post by richy14ca »

I was wondering if anyone could explain an odd behavior my v3 keeps having.
after calibrating and setting z height through the on screen settings my first layer comes out fine for the print I'm doing and usually works for 2 or 3 prints but seems to get closer and closer to the glass until it reaches a point where its to close to let any plastic extrude. is this normal or is something setup wrong on my machine?
thechewiestbacca
Printmaster!

Re: z height

Post by thechewiestbacca »

To my knowledge, you shouldn't run the calibration process through the Calibration Menu on the LCD. Apparently it causes some odd behaviors. (This may be one of them, I do not know from experience, but I have read multiple times that you are not to run the G29 script in this fashion.)The correct way, is to load the GCODE directly to your host software, and run it from there.

I hope this works, and I've included the G29 script below, in case you don't already have it.

Calibration File:
v3Probing.gcode
This is the G29 Script
(5.65 KiB) Downloaded 256 times
richy14ca
Noob

Post by richy14ca »

I would seem to have said that wrong. I run g29 from matter control and then I fine tune the z height using the printer controls by lowering the nozzle and then storing the height. before i started doing manual adjustments i was compensating by changing the z offset in matter control and was changing it by anywhere from .05mm to .1mm every second print.
djarmag
Printmaster!

Post by djarmag »

I used to do g29 three times before I start a print for the day. In mattercontrol, you can set the slicing engine to Cura and set the zheight offset in there. It was hit or miss everyday so I ended up upgrading to FSR probes and now my cals are within .2 deviation everytime.
height map.PNG
Dale Eason
Printmaster!

Post by Dale Eason »

thechewiestbacca wrote:To my knowledge, you shouldn't run the calibration process through the Calibration Menu on the LCD. Apparently it causes some odd behaviors. (This may be one of them, I do not know from experience, but I have read multiple times that you are not to run the G29 script in this fashion.)The correct way, is to load the GCODE directly to your host software, and run it from there.

While that may have been true for some earlier versions of the firmware it is no longer true starting with the December release. The LCD version of calibration actual send a G29 to the G-Code processor just like sending it from MatterControl. So there is no difference there.

I have shifts of the Z max length from day to day and I decided it was due to the machine changing with ambient temp or perhaps other environment issues. For me the shift is about .05mm per day but it seems like it does build up. I have a V2 with upgrades to a HE280.

Dale
thechewiestbacca
Printmaster!

Post by thechewiestbacca »

While that may have been true for some earlier versions of the firmware it is no longer true starting with the December release. The LCD version of calibration actual send a G29 to the G-Code processor just like sending it from MatterControl. So there is no difference there.
That is good to know, because often I am printing from SD card, and need to re-calibrate and I don't always have my laptop.

Also, how are you guys noticing that there are shifts in your Z Max Length? Is there a way to test an increase or decrease? The only time I run the probing script is when I tweak something on the hotend. I haven't calibrated in a few weeks, but I still have great quality on my prints.
Dale Eason
Printmaster!

Post by Dale Eason »

thechewiestbacca wrote:
Also, how are you guys noticing that there are shifts in your Z Max Length? Is there a way to test an increase or decrease? The only time I run the probing script is when I tweak something on the hotend. I haven't calibrated in a few weeks, but I still have great quality on my prints.
When I try to print something each day usually the first layer is too high or too low. Then I run a calibrate. Try it again and modify the max Z height from those results if it is still not right.

Tonight I took the effetor off and put it back on but rotated (by accident) 120 deg. Boy did that change the actual Z height. First layer pushed way down into the bed and got the clicking from the EZRstruder.

Dale

Return to “RostockMAX v3”