First Print Great, then Blown Hotbed Thermistor

The new for 2016 RostockMAX v3!
jasonbsimpson
Plasticator

First Print Great, then Blown Hotbed Thermistor

Post by jasonbsimpson »

So, did my first print, and it actually worked great!

Loaded the second print onto the Matter Control software, and then got a hardware error....upon examining it, it looks like the little glass piece of the thermistor right under the glass bed of the hotbed blew up!

Replacing it is going to be a pain to try remove it and solder a new one on without taking the whole bottom part apart, and I don't just want to replace it to have it blow again. Is there anything I should look at to troubleshoot to make sure that it doesn't happen again, or was it most likely just a bad thermistor?

Thanks a ton for all the help on here.....I'm actually pretty shocked that I got it to print in the first place because building stuff like this definitely isn't one of my strong points!!
joe
Printmaster!

Re: First Print Great, then Blown Hotbed Thermistor

Post by joe »

Can you post a photo of the blown up part?
Polygonhell
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by Polygonhell »

It's unlikely it blew, can you show us an image?
I guess you could damage it if it was shorted to 12V, but it's more likely that there was some mechanical stress on it that cracked the glass bead, or broke a leg.
Usually def being reported is a wiring issue.
jasonbsimpson
Plasticator

Post by jasonbsimpson »

Sure, here's a couple of pics of it. The only reason I could tell at first that it was the problem was because I could see pieces of it reflecting from the glass top that was on top. You can kind of see shards of it in the bottom pic, but also posted a close up. Hoping that I just had it too far through the opening and had too much pressure on it. Please let me know if you see something that I don't and if I'm wrong in what I think happened!
IMG_1744.JPG
IMG_1743.JPG
Zob
Plasticator

Post by Zob »

Hard to be sure from the photos but did you have the bead between the bed & the glass? It's supposed to be in the hole touching the glass.
bed thermistor.JPG

Return to “RostockMAX v3”