Installing Raspberry Pi Upgrade using 2 Power Cords

The new for 2016 RostockMAX v3!
jasonbsimpson
Plasticator

Installing Raspberry Pi Upgrade using 2 Power Cords

Post by jasonbsimpson »

So, question....I purchased the Raspberry Pi separately off of amazon as SeeMeCNC was out of that option for the printer.

I've got it mounted, and have the USB cable going from the Rambo to the Pi. In step 13, it shows to Install a custom wire whip for power between the Rambo and the Raspberry Pi. Instead of doing this, if I have two of the 5.25V/2.4A Micro USB power supplies, can I just hook one of the cords to the Raspberry Pi, and the other to the Rambo so I don't have to build another wiring whip?

Thanks,

Jason
Xenocrates
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Re: Installing Raspberry Pi Upgrade using 2 Power Cords

Post by Xenocrates »

To clarify for you, the Rambo is powered from the power supply. The wire whip is connected from the Rambo to the Pi to power the Pi while the Rambo is active (Otherwise it has a separate switch or power supply). If you attempt to feed power in through that connector, bad things are likely to happen. If you attempt to feed power to the Rambo through the USB port, nothing will happen as since an early revision the ability to be powered from the USB power was removed due to issues it caused. You only need to use one power supply, and it only needs to connect to the Pi.
Machines:
Rostock Max V2, Duet .8.5, PT100 enabled E3D V6 and volcano, Raymond style enclosure
Automation Technology 60W laser cutter/engraver
1m X-carve router

Sic Transit Gloria Mundi
01-10011-11111100001
jasonbsimpson
Plasticator

Post by jasonbsimpson »

Thank You Xenocrates...Ok....I think I understand. What I'd meant was that the Pi is connected to the Rambo with the usb cord/printer connector cord thingie. The Rambo is powered from the power supply. And in lieu of making a wire whip to power the Raspberry Pi, I can just use a 5.25V Micro USB power supply and plug it in directly to the Raspi, correct?
Xenocrates
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by Xenocrates »

jasonbsimpson wrote:Thank You Xenocrates...Ok....I think I understand. What I'd meant was that the Pi is connected to the Rambo with the usb cord/printer connector cord thingie. The Rambo is powered from the power supply. And in lieu of making a wire whip to power the Raspberry Pi, I can just use a 5.25V Micro USB power supply and plug it in directly to the Raspi, correct?
Yep.
Machines:
Rostock Max V2, Duet .8.5, PT100 enabled E3D V6 and volcano, Raymond style enclosure
Automation Technology 60W laser cutter/engraver
1m X-carve router

Sic Transit Gloria Mundi
01-10011-11111100001

Return to “RostockMAX v3”