Rostock MAX v3...

The new for 2016 RostockMAX v3!
johnoly99
Printmaster!

Re: Rostock MAX v3...

Post by johnoly99 »

Hey 626,

All good points. A few i'll touch on. In case you're wondering about fans, how's this look?
moarfans
moarfans
Calibration with the probe on Rostocks seems to be working much better. I wish i had a more scientific answer other than "longer arms maybe?" or something along those lines, but the bigger more rigid machine does tend to ring the accelorometer cleaner. It is what it is. That's not to say we havn't fixed things on the ERIS and it probes much better now.

Raspi support has always been there, it's just now we're pushing it more and more for the mass of users that want the wifi control or networked control of their printers. The touch tablets do that to some extent, but just not to the same extent that the pi setups with astro/octoprint can and have done.

Chassis cooling is the same 60mm fan as the ERIS, but it's mounted a little different, and as such it's much quieter. The ERIS has a lot of stuff going on in that little tiny package, and needs a lot of airflow to keep things under control :)

Yes, RAMBo is what we have always used. Reliability trumps cutting edge when you have as many users building for the first time as we do. Yes, 32b ala smoothie etc. has a lot of advantages, but theres just not nearly as big of a user base and it's not being actively developed fast enough to where we would need it to be to include it in our kits. Now again, that said ;) we 'may' have some 32b board around the shop, and they 'may' have a big U logo on them. Soon grasshopper, how soon? hopefully winter/1st of the year

Lastly, go check out the site guys, they're up for pre-order now. Just loaded them up. And if you're reading this, and want one, or know of someone wanting one, use this or give them this code v3forme one per

Have fun guys, hope you enjoy it!
davec3275
Printmaster!

Post by davec3275 »

Will there be upgrade kits for V2 owners? I would love to make the upgrades and get the Rostock running again.
geneb
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by geneb »

Also, NO MORE RTV! :D

g.
Delta Power!
Defeat the Cartesian Agenda!
http://www.f15sim.com - 80-0007, The only one of its kind.
http://geneb.simpits.org - Technical and Simulator Projects
U.S. Water Rockets
Printmaster!

Post by U.S. Water Rockets »

That new hot end with the fans looks amazing. The only thing I hope is it uses the common E3Dv6 nozzle style, because those are really common and available in hardened steel, etc. Brass doesn't cut it for the filament I use, and so I need a more standardized nozzle.
joe
Printmaster!

Post by joe »

johnoly99 wrote:Hey 626,

All good points. A few i'll touch on. In case you're wondering about fans, how's this look?
14138155_1086734298030082_1701889686908936482_o.jpg
What exactly are those fans pointing at ?
geneb
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by geneb »

I just checked and while the E3D nozzle is longer, it does fit.

g.
Delta Power!
U.S. Water Rockets
Printmaster!

Post by U.S. Water Rockets »

geneb wrote:I just checked and while the E3D nozzle is longer, it does fit.

g.
That's cool. The old nozzle design had that metal cylinder that protrudes behind the threads. Glad to see the new one is more standard.
Thanks.
Qdeathstar
Printmaster!

Post by Qdeathstar »

wow. A Rostock V3 ain't in the cards but I think that hot end would look sexy on my printer. Gotta get a duet though first.... then decide if I really want a chimera or not.... I like the added safety of the thermal fuse....
626Pilot
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by 626Pilot »

johnoly99 wrote:Hey 626,

I see holes where a person could mount any sort of fan duct they like, or just have the air blowing down unducted. This is a nice design.
Raspi support has always been there, it's just now we're pushing it more and more for the mass of users that want the wifi control or networked control of their printers. The touch tablets do that to some extent, but just not to the same extent that the pi setups with astro/octoprint can and have done.
I figured out a way to get the OctoPrint image working with the WaveShare 800x480 touch screen. I have the Pi automatically boot into X and run a browser in "kiosk mode." It's really slick. I'm going to do a writeup on it soon.

EDIT: Writeup's here.
Yes, RAMBo is what we have always used. Reliability trumps cutting edge when you have as many users building for the first time as we do. Yes, 32b ala smoothie etc. has a lot of advantages, but theres just not nearly as big of a user base and it's not being actively developed fast enough to where we would need it to be to include it in our kits. Now again, that said ;) we 'may' have some 32b board around the shop, and they 'may' have a big U logo on them. Soon grasshopper, how soon? hopefully winter/1st of the year
I thought I remembered something about that, so I looked through my email, and found the following from UltiMachine almost exactly a year ago:
We have a 32bit ARM successor in the works. It uses the Atmel SAM3X processor and has 5 DRV8825 stepper drivers. There are additional GPIO pin headers that can be used to manually wire up an external stepper driver. We will have the board available for purchase in about month. I am sorry this does not really satisfy the requirements for an all in one Diamond hot end printer controller board. The plan is to eventually make an adapter board that provides additional stepper drivers.
Jason from UM said it was okay to share that at the time. If it's running on the SAM3X, then it's Arduino Due compatible, which means it will probably run RepRapFirmware. Of course, that exchange was a year ago, so maybe they have different plans. In any case, if you pick a board that has six drivers - or which has a bolt-on expansion board that provides at least that - you'll be selling a machine that's ready to feed a Diamond hot end. That would be really cool.
lumpy_potato
Printmaster!

Post by lumpy_potato »

Is there any chance of a conversion kit for V2 -> V3? I have to do a lot of fixes to my V2, and it almost seems like the V3 is the answer to the vast majority of them. And I can't shell out 1K for the new kit.
626Pilot
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by 626Pilot »

They did sell a Max 1 -> Max 2 upgrade kit in the past. I think it was a few hundred dollars. Haven't heard whether they're doing something similar here. If your MAX 2 already works pretty well, you could probably just buy the HE280 hot end, ball cup arms and effectors, upgrade Repetier firmware, and call it a day.
cloneit3d
Printmaster!

Post by cloneit3d »

Gene will an aluminum plate be recommended under the glass plate to more evenly heat the glass plate? I have heard folks call it a heat spreader.

Best Regards,

Tim
Self designed plasma cutting table running Mach3
Orbot Hadron running and E3d 6, Smoothie on an Azteeg Mini, LCD, fully adjustable glass bed of my design with a silicone mat heater.
Prtrbot Simple Metal
Table top CNC running Mach 3
bvandiepenbos
Printmaster!

Post by bvandiepenbos »

lumpy_potato wrote:Is there any chance of a conversion kit for V2 -> V3? I have to do a lot of fixes to my V2, and it almost seems like the V3 is the answer to the vast majority of them. And I can't shell out 1K for the new kit.
You could upgrade your v2 to a MAX Metal Frame. It is designed to re-use most all of your v2 parts.
http://tricklaser.com/MAX-METAL-Frame-MAXMTLFRM.htm

What "fixes" do you feel your v2 needs?
~*Brian V.

RostockMAX v2 (Stock)
MAX METAL "ShortyMAX"
MAX METAL Rostock MAX Printer Frame
NEMESIS Air Delta v1 & v2 -Aluminum delta printers
Rostock MAX "KITT" - Tri-Force Frame
GRABER i3 "Slim"
bvandiepenbos
Printmaster!

Post by bvandiepenbos »

John, that fan setup looks good!
do they blow up or down?
I assume they are at a angle?
~*Brian V.

RostockMAX v2 (Stock)
MAX METAL "ShortyMAX"
MAX METAL Rostock MAX Printer Frame
NEMESIS Air Delta v1 & v2 -Aluminum delta printers
Rostock MAX "KITT" - Tri-Force Frame
GRABER i3 "Slim"
geneb
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by geneb »

cloneit3d wrote:Gene will an aluminum plate be recommended under the glass plate to more evenly heat the glass plate? I have heard folks call it a heat spreader.
No. It wouldn't fit. (You'll see.) :D

g.
Delta Power!
Tincho85
Printmaster!

Post by Tincho85 »

geneb wrote:No. It wouldn't fit. (You'll see.) :D

g.
WE
WANT
MORE
PICTURES

:D

Pic or didn't happen.
Martín S.
The Rigger
Prints-a-lot

Post by The Rigger »

I'll live without the RTP version... When does the kit version (and the corresponding lower price) begin shipping?
-Dave
Central Michigan, USA
(unless I'm at work)
Noircogi
Printmaster!

Post by Noircogi »

I'm not sure where you were looking but both versions have listed Sept 6 as the "start shipping" date since they were first put up.
https://www.seemecnc.com/collections/di ... er-diy-kit
linked from the home page
https://www.seemecnc.com/
I ordered a kit version on 8/25
cloneit3d
Printmaster!

Post by cloneit3d »

I ordered a kit the first day they showed up on the website and was under the impression shipping would commence on the 6th however the wording leads me to believe it will be after the sixth which I am sure gives them a little buffer if things are not quite ready. If anyone can provide an update we all sure would be appreciative.

Cheers!!!
Orbot Hadron running and E3d 6, Smoothie on an Azteeg Mini, LCD, fully adjustable glass bed of my design with a silicone mat heater.
Prtrbot Simple Metal
Eaglezsoar
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by Eaglezsoar »

cloneit3d wrote:I ordered a kit the first day they showed up on the website and was under the impression shipping would commence on the 6th however the wording leads me to believe it will be after the sixth which I am sure gives them a little buffer if things are not quite ready. If anyone can provide an update we all sure would be appreciative.

Cheers!!!
Patience Grasshopper! :)
They will get them sent out but I prefer to wait until they are certain that they are ready for shipping.
I have enough problems in my life then to deal with a printer that was shipped before it was actually ready.
I also placed an order in case it matters.
Thanks for your great posts!
“ Do Not Regret Growing Older. It is a Privilege Denied to Many. ”
abecker
Printmaster!

Post by abecker »

Has anyone's shipped?
Noircogi
Printmaster!

Post by Noircogi »

I just got a shipping notification.
Eaglezsoar
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by Eaglezsoar »

Noircogi wrote:I just got a shipping notification.
Thanks for letting us know, I bet you are happy! :)
“ Do Not Regret Growing Older. It is a Privilege Denied to Many. ”
cloneit3d
Printmaster!

Post by cloneit3d »

Mine shipped as well- can't wait!!!
Prtrbot Simple Metal
sfuelberth
Prints-a-lot

Post by sfuelberth »

So I just got mine delivered, however I am not seeing any sort of documentation. Is that still a work in progress or is there a link to them someplace that I am not seeing? Thanks

Return to “RostockMAX v3”