Auto Cal and PEI

The new for 2016 RostockMAX v3!
TwoTone
Printmaster!

Auto Cal and PEI

Post by TwoTone »

At some point if any of the V3 owners that use PEI on the glass could comment on how well the PEI is holding up to the hot end hitting the bed I'd appreciate it.

Thanks.
ccavanaugh
Printmaster!

Re: Auto Cal and PEI

Post by ccavanaugh »

PEI holds up fine to FSR probing and is a relatively hard surface. It should be fine.
mhackney
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by mhackney »

ccavanaugh got it right. There is no problem poking a hot nozzle into PEI momentarily for probing. I do it multiple times every day and have for several years. No marks on any of my PEI beds from that. I would not leave it touching the PEI, especially at elevated temps (>225°C) for any length of time.

I also just got an email from PartDaddy that said that probing with the accelerometer probe on the V3 is done at room temperature, so no problem with that at all!

Sublime Layers - my blog on Musings and Experiments in 3D Printing Technology and Art

Start Here:
A Strategy for Successful (and Great) Prints

Strategies for Resolving Print Artifacts

The Eclectic Angler
adarcher
Printmaster!

Post by adarcher »

I've been pretty mean to my PEI and it's still fine.

Even with a single scratch (that came with it in the mail) I haven't had any problem with adhesion--though there is a small line in the bottom of the part usually.
TwoTone
Printmaster!

Post by TwoTone »

Thanks for the replies. I was just a little concerned. We had a mistake made while setting Z height and the hot end messed up the PEI pretty bad.
Jimustanguitar
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by Jimustanguitar »

For mechanical probing, it should be just fine. The only time that I've heard of PEI causing probing problems is with the infrared sensor that the Duet can optionally use. PEI is transparent to that spectrum of light, so folks have painted the back side of their PEI black before installing it.
mhackney
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by mhackney »

That is true Jim. And I just recently discovered that the CA patching technique I developed to repair PEI is not compatible with the IR probe and will give erroneous results.

Sublime Layers - my blog on Musings and Experiments in 3D Printing Technology and Art

Start Here:
A Strategy for Successful (and Great) Prints

Strategies for Resolving Print Artifacts

The Eclectic Angler

Return to “RostockMAX v3”