the hotend fan is sooo loud!!!!

The new for 2016 RostockMAX v3!
wshiwsbrding
Prints-a-lot

the hotend fan is sooo loud!!!!

Post by wshiwsbrding »

I wasnt sure which fan it was, for all this time I assumed it was coming from the power supply fan. Anytime the printer is switched on, not printing or anything, just on, the little fan on the hotend is RAGING. I tested it by stopping it with my finger and wow, golden silence (well almost).

So, is there a way to have this fan turn off when the printer is on but not printing or cooling?

And follow up to that is, are there fans that are quieter than this one for when the fan is on?

Thanks for help!
wshiwsbrding
Prints-a-lot

Re: the hotend fan is sooo loud!!!!

Post by wshiwsbrding »

This is on my stock v3 btw
Xenocrates
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by Xenocrates »

With the way the wiring harness is configured, no. You will need to add extra wire to the wiring harness, and potentially set up thermostatic control of the fan. You can buy somewhat quieter fans, but they can cost a non-trivial amount more, and or move less air. Along that line, I, and a few others, have been working on watercooled hotends. You might be able to do something with that, but it would also compromise the way the thermal fuse is mounted on a V3 currently.
Machines:
Rostock Max V2, Duet .8.5, PT100 enabled E3D V6 and volcano, Raymond style enclosure
Automation Technology 60W laser cutter/engraver
1m X-carve router

Sic Transit Gloria Mundi
01-10011-11111100001
wshiwsbrding
Prints-a-lot

Post by wshiwsbrding »

Now that you mention that I remember I had bookmarked a mod mhackney had shared like a year ago and I think its the answer:
http://forum.seemecnc.com/viewtopic.php ... 6&start=75

I just need to set aside a few minutes and get it done!

Return to “RostockMAX v3”