Brand New Rostock v3 build stringing/oozing

The new for 2016 RostockMAX v3!
Gogonjdevil
Plasticator

Brand New Rostock v3 build stringing/oozing

Post by Gogonjdevil »

So I finally finished building my v3 yesterday and it went super smoothly. No problems at all. I plugged it in and the calibration cube printed OK...tweaked it with the delta calibration wizard and it printed perfectly. Then I tried to print a benchy and that's where I ran into trouble. As you can see from the pictures there's a lot of stringing/oozing. I tried lowering the pla temp from 210, to 200 to 195 and that didn't fix it. The pla is recommended from 195 to 215 so I'm not sure if I should go lower. I'm not 100% sure how to tweak the retraction settings. Right now they're what they are at default in matter control.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Attachments
1069520F-AA2E-44A3-BCD7-BC65BBC83C24.jpeg
5CB1ED93-D838-4D43-9EB0-4840032D587B.jpeg
8079327D-FECB-4E8D-834D-1E56BCE57FFC.jpeg
5F2D687D-F766-49D4-999D-27FE712DC26E.jpeg
kfonda
Plasticator

Re: Brand New Rostock v3 build stringing/oozing

Post by kfonda »

I read this post on Mhackney's web site and it helped me a great deal with retraction settings.
http://www.sublimelayers.com/2016/10/so ... racts.html
Gogonjdevil
Plasticator

Post by Gogonjdevil »

I just must be doing something wrong. I can't seem to get this dialed in. Everything else looks spectacular. Amazing first layer, amazing perimeters. It just strings and oozes. I calibrated the Hot End to be exact. It was a tiny hair off. I ran the Delta Calibration wizard to the point where my result was a .08. My current retraction settings are 2mm at 40 mm/s. My Z Lift is 2 mm and I lowered the minimum travel requiring retraction to 1mm. Everything else is default. Yet I still get tons of stringing on pieces that have gaps. The Calibration cube and anything without holes prints perfectly. I'm really confused :(
Xenocrates
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by Xenocrates »

I suspect a portion of it is the temperature and cooling settings, in addition to the retraction based on that specific filament being different than the general starting point we recommend.
Machines:
Rostock Max V2, Duet .8.5, PT100 enabled E3D V6 and volcano, Raymond style enclosure
Automation Technology 60W laser cutter/engraver
1m X-carve router

Sic Transit Gloria Mundi
01-10011-11111100001
DeltaCon
Printmaster!

Post by DeltaCon »

I would try going significantly lower in temp. The clearity of your printed part makes me think the temp is rather high. Usually the clear filament turns more opaque white'ish after printing. Try a thermocouple to see what temp you are "actually" printing, and calibrate your thermister settings accordingly. That makes talking a about temps on this forum a lot more sensible. Besides that I find myself printing at lower temps than suggested by manufacturers very often ;-)
I am DeltaCon, I have a delta, my name is Con, I am definitely PRO delta! ;-)
Rostock V2 / E3D Volcano / FSR kit / Duet 0.6

PS.: Sorry for the avatar, that's my other hobby!
Gogonjdevil
Plasticator

Post by Gogonjdevil »

I was wondering if that could be the case. My inexperience is going to show now, but how exactly would I go about testing this? The thermocouple, is this like a device to check the temperature? I'm assuming something like this?

Also, how would I go about calibrating the thermister settings after getting the "reading".

Thank you very much for the help, I really do appreciate it.
Xenocrates
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by Xenocrates »

There's an old thread on this, here. Yes, that is a thermocouple. You can also get a multimeter with a thermocouple connector, which may be more useful if you don't already have a multimeter.

Once it's calibrated for accuracy, I would suggest setting it to print a few small pillars at a time, since you're testing stringing, and either alter the G-code to change the temperature, or just repeat them at different setting until you're satisfied.
Machines:
Rostock Max V2, Duet .8.5, PT100 enabled E3D V6 and volcano, Raymond style enclosure
Automation Technology 60W laser cutter/engraver
1m X-carve router

Sic Transit Gloria Mundi
01-10011-11111100001
Gogonjdevil
Plasticator

Post by Gogonjdevil »

So apparently Matter Control was a huge culprit in this. I tried using Cura to slice and the piece came out 1000 times better. All rights the blobs are all gone and the only thing left now are really super fine strings. I'm going to try tweaking some retraction settings in Cura but it's a massive difference between that and matter control.

Return to “RostockMAX v3”