Bed won't heat past 97*

The new for 2016 RostockMAX v3!
Char'les Grey
Prints-a-lot

Bed won't heat past 97*

Post by Char'les Grey »

Just as the title states, anything I do, I can't get the bed to heat above 97, I've been through all the v3 posts on here and looked elsewhere also. These are the settings that I currently have:

Code: Select all

Bed Heat Manager [0-3] 1
Bed PID drive max 255
Bed PID drive min 125
Bed PID P-gain 950.000
Bed PID I-gain 1.000
Bed PID D-gain 10.000
Bed PID max value [0-255] 255
Any help would be appreciate. Only mods that I have are the trick laser heat spreader.

Thanks.
geneb
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Re: Bed won't heat past 97*

Post by geneb »

Check to make sure that the heated bed power wires are fully seated and tight in the compression terminal on the RAMBo. A poor connection may be robbing you of power.

g.
Delta Power!
Defeat the Cartesian Agenda!
http://www.f15sim.com - 80-0007, The only one of its kind.
http://geneb.simpits.org - Technical and Simulator Projects
pouncingiguana
Printmaster!

Post by pouncingiguana »

Also, you might want to crank up the voltage on your power supply to help it out. I run mine at almost 14 volts.
Char'les Grey
Prints-a-lot

Post by Char'les Grey »

geneb wrote:Check to make sure that the heated bed power wires are fully seated and tight in the compression terminal on the RAMBo. A poor connection may be robbing you of power.

g.

After I posted this I actually had the same idea, some were loose, ran again and no gain. I was hoping it would be something silky like that. Lol.
Char'les Grey
Prints-a-lot

Post by Char'les Grey »

pouncingiguana wrote:Also, you might want to crank up the voltage on your power supply to help it out. I run mine at almost 14 volts.
How do I do that? And are there any ramifications I should lookout for?
pouncingiguana
Printmaster!

Post by pouncingiguana »

On the power supply there is a little pot that you adjust with a screwdriver to the left of the terminals. Put a volt meter on the terminals and crank the screw counterclockwise to increase the voltage. I usually aim for just under 14 volts. All the hardware is fine with that voltage. The one downside is that the fans will spin faster (and louder) once you crank it up.
IMBoring25
Printmaster!

Post by IMBoring25 »

The bed terminals on the Rambo are also really close to their limits and overdriving them would make me very uncomfortable about melting them down, especially if you have an Onyx on the low end of the resistance tolerance.

You probably don't need 100C for ABS. I did well with it at 90 until I got my second power supply and SSR installed.

If it's driving a good solid 12V under load it could be worth it to check the PWM history to see if PID is yanking the PWM early.
Char'les Grey
Prints-a-lot

Post by Char'les Grey »

IMBoring25 wrote:The bed terminals on the Rambo are also really close to their limits and overdriving them would make me very uncomfortable about melting them down, especially if you have an Onyx on the low end of the resistance tolerance.

You probably don't need 100C for ABS. I did well with it at 90 until I got my second power supply and SSR installed.

If it's driving a good solid 12V under load it could be worth it to check the PWM history to see if PID is yanking the PWM early.

I've checked the bed under load and was something like 11.97v or so. How do I pull the PWM history?
IMBoring25
Printmaster!

Post by IMBoring25 »

Repetier Host has that functionality in the form of a nice real-time graph. I don't remember if MatterControl does.
Char'les Grey
Prints-a-lot

Post by Char'les Grey »

Okay, so I bumped up the voltage to 13v and was able to get 101.x I recall a few weeks ago I was able to get 105 on 12v. I wish this system was consistent. Lol. I think I'm going to make an aluminum and plexiglass enclosure.
Char'les Grey
Prints-a-lot

Post by Char'les Grey »

added some 'pipe insulation' on the bottom of the plastic bed holder and it will easily get up to 110 now, I'll probably adjust down to 12v to see if I can still achieve that, currently I'm at 13v.
Qdeathstar
Printmaster!

Post by Qdeathstar »

Im not sure why youd want to go to 100 anyway. I got better print quality at around 80c. Im running a 50c enclosure, however.

Return to “RostockMAX v3”