Onyx LED Pad

The new for 2016 RostockMAX v3!
taggedzi
Prints-a-lot

Onyx LED Pad

Post by taggedzi »

Hey,

I was trying to setup the Onyx heating bed and when I tried to solder the LED to the bed the pad just popped right up off the board :o . I consider my self pretty decent with a soldering pen, so I was fairly surprised to see this, but now... I've got it so I'm trying to deal with it.

What I've done:
I used a razor and EVER SO GENTLY scratched the trace going to that pad to expose about 3mm of it, and soldered the pad/LED(-) to that. I checked continuity between negative IN and negative on the LED and it checked out. I checked continuity between positive (side) of limiting resistor and positive side of LED and it worked. I tired Positive in to negative and got nothing. SO I think it is working. I'm fairly certain it won't last though.

What I'm considering:
Can I use a very small wire (like headphone wire? one of the ones inside the headphone cable to an ear bud) to connect the negative lead to the negative terminal of the LED? It looks like a straight trace..?

Is there a better solution? If my two ideas don't work and the connection to the LED just breaks, will the heater bed still work, just no LED? It looks like it is in parallel with heating... but I'm not sure what is on the inside.

Just trying to understand the options and fix as well as possible.

Thanks,
Matthew (TaggedZi)
Not all who wander are lost.
Eric
Printmaster!

Re: Onyx LED Pad

Post by Eric »

What you've done with the trace may work long-term. Give it a try. If not, replacing traces with wires is a perfectly acceptable solution.

The LED is just an indicator of when the bed is heating. It's not required for it to operate.

Return to “RostockMAX v3”