First contact and tips for setting up the duet

critical_limit
Printmaster!

First contact and tips for setting up the duet

Post by critical_limit »

Hi All,

mybe not relevant for everyone, but for me it was the most important info when I startet with the duet board:

https://miscsolutions.wordpress.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Also I think that Davids firmware fork is the most interesting for us Delta users.
mhackney
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Re: First contact and tips for setting up the duet

Post by mhackney »

Yes, this is the starting point for Duet on a delta. David wrote the delta firmware, designed and built the PanelDue and the IR probe. He's a great guy too!

I have some additional stuff at home I'll post here this weekend - how to connect the Duet to the panel port on the v0.8.5 board, etc. I have at least one of each of the Duet vo.6, Duet v.8.5, Duex4 Expansion Board, Panel Due and the Replikeo branded Duet v0.6 so I can document various connections, etc. I've also designed a printed Duet holder and a wifi device holder I'll post.

Sublime Layers - my blog on Musings and Experiments in 3D Printing Technology and Art

Start Here:
A Strategy for Successful (and Great) Prints

Strategies for Resolving Print Artifacts

The Eclectic Angler
Earthbound
Printmaster!

Post by Earthbound »

Michael,

I look forward to seeing your Duet holder. For your installation, are you using heatsinks or a cooling fan for the controller?
"Trust no quote from the Internet." - Abraham Lincoln
mhackney
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by mhackney »

No I am not. The holder mounts to the outside door of my Rostock. If I put it inside I might consider a fan to cool.

Sublime Layers - my blog on Musings and Experiments in 3D Printing Technology and Art

Start Here:

The Eclectic Angler
Eaglezsoar
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by Eaglezsoar »

I am truly looking forward to all the postings that will make their way to this forum.
I don't own the duet yet, but I plan to within a month. It seems all the major sellers are overseas,
is that true or are some located in the United States?
bot
Printmaster!

Post by bot »

I would advise buying directly from Think3dPrint3d.com, as they are the designers of the board and have the most consistent quality. Replikeo had some issues with bad solder joints on USB connectors, causing fried boards... but that may be resolved as of now. I'm tinkering with the idea of getting quotes on some NA manufacturing.
*not actually a robot
mhackney
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by mhackney »

I posted links to all the known sources for Duet v0.6 and v0.8.5. As bot says, t3p3 are the developers so buy from them. I have a Replikeo. My first one literally went POW when I powered it up. The driver chips looked like they were all blown when the board arrived. The good news is the company was responsive and replaced the board with one that works fine.

Start Here:

The Eclectic Angler
626Pilot
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by 626Pilot »

T3P3 is in the UK, but they got me a Duet 0.8.5, the 4-port expansion board, and the PanelDue in about a week. That's totally acceptable. I've ordered parts for my Rostock MAX METAL from OpenBuilds here in the States, and it took just as long to arrive.

If anyone was wondering, the PanelDue connects to the 0.8.5 with the red wire going to the +5V pin.

I also have a microswitch Z-probe - that goes on the E0 stop pins. I have the IR board, but haven't printed out a mount for it yet. Anyone got an STL for that?
mhackney
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by mhackney »

I've placed 3 orders with them and all have come within a week. They are easy to do business with.

Start Here:

The Eclectic Angler
Eaglezsoar
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by Eaglezsoar »

Would the older model Duet .6 be adequate to save significant money over the newer .8.5 version?
It seems to be a quite capable board but I need input from some of you users before I buy the older version.
bot
Printmaster!

Post by bot »

There are several differences between the boards. There are no dedictaed PWM fan output headers on the 0.6, nor PanelDue headers, so you have to pick individual pins from gpio, not a huge deal, but just a thing to note. The location of the reset and erase switch are located more conveniently on the new one -- also not a huge deal, but worth noting. The bed heater headers on the 0.6 are much smaller than on 0.8.5. If using an onyx heat bed, I doubt they'd be good enough to feel safe about. There are more differences, but those are off the top of my head, beside the obvious extra extruder channel.
*not actually a robot
IMBoring25
Printmaster!

Post by IMBoring25 »

My 0.6 was doing what I needed it to do until I smoked the chip bumping a hot terminal while trying to calibrate the second-extruder thermistor.

Big points would be you'll only have one-extruder support without adding a Duex4, you can't get to six-extruder support, you'd only have one PWM fan port, you won't have any dedicated always-on fan ports (of course, you can run them off one of the other 12V leads), and you won't have the PanelDue port.

All changes are listed at http://blog.think3dprint3d.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Eaglezsoar
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by Eaglezsoar »

Thanks to bot and IMBoring25 for your replies.
After reading the blog and seeing what was changed to create the new card I have decided to save some more money and
purchase the 0.8.5 board. Thanks again!
WZ9V
Printmaster!

Post by WZ9V »

Check on thingiverse there are a few IR mount options there. I got one that screws onto the E3D fan from there.
626Pilot wrote:T3P3 is in the UK, but they got me a Duet 0.8.5, the 4-port expansion board, and the PanelDue in about a week. That's totally acceptable. I've ordered parts for my Rostock MAX METAL from OpenBuilds here in the States, and it took just as long to arrive.

If anyone was wondering, the PanelDue connects to the 0.8.5 with the red wire going to the +5V pin.

I also have a microswitch Z-probe - that goes on the E0 stop pins. I have the IR board, but haven't printed out a mount for it yet. Anyone got an STL for that?

Return to “Duet”