Duet setup difficulties

TheRealRocketBurns
Printmaster!

Duet setup difficulties

Post by TheRealRocketBurns »

Hello All!

Attempting to setup duet 0.8.5 (dc42 firmware) with a metal max I am building, and am running into some issues. I want to first attempt to use it without a z-probe or fsrs (using similar calibration steps to the max v2), but all resources I can find point to using a z-probe or fsrs. would the dc42 firmware fork still work for this and if so, what should my settings look like?
mhackney
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Re: Duet setup difficulties

Post by mhackney »

Hey, long time no see!

No problem using dc42 without a probe. Leave everything in the config files alone and simply don't click the Auto Calibrate button or run the G30. This is the easiest thing to do and if you add a probe later it will be easier.

In config.g there is the M558 probe definition. I think it might be a good idea to comment this out.

Sublime Layers - my blog on Musings and Experiments in 3D Printing Technology and Art

Start Here:
A Strategy for Successful (and Great) Prints

Strategies for Resolving Print Artifacts

The Eclectic Angler
dc42
Printmaster!

Post by dc42 »

See https://duet3d.com/wiki/Calibrating_a_delta_printer. There is a section at the end on manual calibration.
TheRealRocketBurns
Printmaster!

Hey, long time no see!
It has been too long! Unfortunately, I had to take a break from the hobby due to some personal matters I needed to deal with, but on the plus side I was able to start my first successful company, so there's that. :D (link for anyone curious http://www.kilovoltcollection.com/)
No problem using dc42 without a probe. Leave everything in the config files alone and simply don't click the Auto Calibrate button or run the G30. This is the easiest thing to do and if you add a probe later it will be easier.

In config.g there is the M558 probe definition. I think it might be a good idea to comment this out.
See https://duet3d.com/wiki/Calibrating_a_delta_printer. There is a section at the end on manual calibration.
Thanks!, I will give this a shot and post results later tonight or tomorrow. Thanks!
DeltaCon
Printmaster!

Post by DeltaCon »

TheRealRocketBurns wrote:I was able to start my first successful company, so there's that. (link for anyone curious http://www.kilovoltcollection.com/)
Nice items you make in your company!

I think for most people going Duet they do that because they want to have proper auto-calibration and take the necessity of a probe for granted. I really don't see why you wouldn't, since a set of FSR's is just about 35 USD at ultimaker's. Do yourself a favor, and order a set! ;-) Printable FSR mounts are available on thingiverse, I believe also Michaels mounts (both for rostock and metalmax or universals.
I am DeltaCon, I have a delta, my name is Con, I am definitely PRO delta! ;-)
Rostock V2 / E3D Volcano / FSR kit / Duet 0.6

PS.: Sorry for the avatar, that's my other hobby!
TheRealRocketBurns
Printmaster!

DeltaCon wrote:
TheRealRocketBurns wrote:I was able to start my first successful company, so there's that. (link for anyone curious http://www.kilovoltcollection.com/)
Nice items you make in your company!

I think for most people going Duet they do that because they want to have proper auto-calibration and take the necessity of a probe for granted. I really don't see why you wouldn't, since a set of FSR's is just about 35 USD at ultimaker's. Do yourself a favor, and order a set! ;-) Printable FSR mounts are available on thingiverse, I believe also Michaels mounts (both for rostock and metalmax or universals.
Thanks!

Yes, you're entirely right, and that is the end goal for my duet, I just have not ordered any sort of probe/sensor yet, as I want to get it working in as basic a form as possible first, then add improvements one by one to minimize the headache of getting everything to work right together, if that makes any sense.
DeltaCon
Printmaster!

Post by DeltaCon »

TheRealRocketBurns wrote:... I want to get it working in as basic a form as possible first, then add improvements one by one to minimize the headache of getting everything to work right together, if that makes any sense.
Yes it does! I just did not assume that building a metal Max from scratch was your first experience with delta's or 3d printers at all :roll:
I am DeltaCon, I have a delta, my name is Con, I am definitely PRO delta! ;-)
Rostock V2 / E3D Volcano / FSR kit / Duet 0.6

PS.: Sorry for the avatar, that's my other hobby!
mhackney
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by mhackney »

Nice products Rocket! I'll keep my eye on your shop, probably something I'll want some time.

I've actually designed a much better mount system for the MetalMAX and V3 printers for FSRs. Brian at TrickLaser cut them for me in melamine. I have a couple of tweaks I want to do but I think there might be interest in them.
Screen Shot 2017-02-06 at 4.08.17 PM.png

Sublime Layers - my blog on Musings and Experiments in 3D Printing Technology and Art

Start Here:

The Eclectic Angler
TheRealRocketBurns
Printmaster!

Yes it does! I just did not assume that building a metal Max from scratch was your first experience with delta's or 3d printers at all :roll:
Yeah, I actually had my stock Max V2 (save for a few minor upgrades) for about a year and a half or so before beginning to cannibalize it to build this metal Max.
Nice products Rocket! I'll keep my eye on your shop, probably something I'll want some time.

I've actually designed a much better mount system for the MetalMAX and V3 printers for FSRs. Brian at TrickLaser cut them for me in melamine. I have a couple of tweaks I want to do but I think there might be interest in them.
Thanks!

That mount looks nice, but I still can't decide between something like dc42s IR sensor or the FSRs. Leaning towards the FSRs because they seem to offer the most future-proof solution in terms of compatibility with different beds and hot ends.

Also, everything appears to be working! Going through the usual rigamarole of getting the directions and all that right, but the end stops do register.
mhackney
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by mhackney »

I have dc42's IR probe, FSR probes, accelerometer probes, proximity sensor probes, end stop switch probes and probably a few I've forgotten about. To date, the FSRs and IR probe are in my opinion the most robust/reliable options. They are both good but I still prefer FSRs for a few reasons:

IR probes require specific IR reflectance properties for the print surface. PEI will not work stock, so the workaround is to paint the back side black. This means the IR is penetrating the PEI in and out to reflect back to the sensor. I use CA to fix divots and scratches in my PEI. CA has completely different IR characteristics - as do glue sticks and other things you might put on the PEI to print stuff like Nylon or PETG. No problems with any of these with FSR probing.

The IR probe is offset from the nozzle. Depending on your mount options, this could be pretty far away. A probe right at the tip of the nozzle is least problematic and not as sensitive to effector tilt and other issues.

Start Here:

The Eclectic Angler

Return to “Duet”