EzStruder Over Heating With Duet

dmo
Printmaster!

EzStruder Over Heating With Duet

Post by dmo »

I'm trying to figure out why my extruders are over heating with the Duet board. I've been following other's for the motor current of 1500. I'm not sure what the current should be for a stock EZstruder. If I lower the current will I need to adjust other setting to compensate? Also I've been trying to figure out how to stop only the extruder motors while not being used.
Thanks
dc42
Printmaster!

Re: EzStruder Over Heating With Duet

Post by dc42 »

1. What is the rated current of the stepper motor? Is there a part number label on the motor that would help you to look it up? Try turning the current down to 80% of the rated current.

2. You can use M18 to turn motors off selectively, see http://reprap.org/wiki/Gcodes#M18:_Disa ... per_motors. For example, M18 E0:1

HTH David
dmo
Printmaster!

Post by dmo »

dc42 wrote:1. What is the rated current of the stepper motor? Is there a part number label on the motor that would help you to look it up? Try turning the current down to 80% of the rated current.

2. You can use M18 to turn motors off selectively, see http://reprap.org/wiki/Gcodes#M18:_Disa ... per_motors. For example, M18 E0:1

HTH David
The rated current is 1.5A. I'm guessing thats where the 1500 comes in the settings.

2. Will that command M18 need to be sent each time the motor starts? I'm using a Chimera so the extruders alternate. I was trying M906 E1500:1500 I0.
dc42
Printmaster!

Post by dc42 »

If the extruder motors are rated at 1.5A then I suggest you set the current to about 1.3A to that they run cooler.

You can put a command to turn the unused extruder motor off in the tfree#.g tool change file, where # is the tool number.

I don't recommend using I0 in the M906 command unless you really do want the motors to turn off completely after 30 seconds of printer inactivity. Currently the idle timeout waits for the whole machine to be inactive for 30 seconds, but I may change it to operate per-motor soon.
dmo
Printmaster!

Post by dmo »

dc42 wrote:If the extruder motors are rated at 1.5A then I suggest you set the current to about 1.3A to that they run cooler.

You can put a command to turn the unused extruder motor off in the tfree#.g tool change file, where # is the tool number.

I don't recommend using I0 in the M906 command unless you really do want the motors to turn off completely after 30 seconds of printer inactivity. Currently the idle timeout waits for the whole machine to be inactive for 30 seconds, but I may change it to operate per-motor soon.
Thanks David,
I started by adding fans with heat sinks just to see how much they would help. They knocked 6c off, don't think I needed them. Then I cut the motor setting back to 1200. They stay super cool now, around 30c.

Return to “Duet”