Some good stuff coming soon!

mhackney
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Some good stuff coming soon!

Post by mhackney »

More details here: Duet In-application firmware updates!

Over the past few months I've been corresponding with Christian Hammacher - he wrote the Duet Web Control application and he also has a branch of David Crocker's firmware that he maintains to work on the web server and other stuff. Originally I reached out to him to help resolve the DWC disconnects I (and others) had been getting. Over the months he's made great progress on eradicating issues and things are much much much more stable now. But the exciting part is, along the way he's added several very cool features:

1) the ability to edit the config.g in place. You can open config.g in DWC and edit away
2) the ability to upload zip packages - I use it to install new releases of Duet Web Control itself and it works great
3) and I saved the best for last - the ability to update the RepRapFirmware itself right from DWC!!! Yes, you read that correctly. Christian developed a little app that runs on Duet (iap.bin - In Application Programming for Duet) and once installed you can upload new firmware releases right from the Settings tab. No more Bossac and command lines! You can install iap.bin the first time via the web interface too (I think you need to be using the absolute latest DWC though for this to work, otherwise you can simply transfer the file to the CF card).

iap.bin works with any RRF including dc42. I've been switching back and forth painlessly as Christian has worked on the disconnect stuff. It is implemented as a new M-code: M997 and the gcode wiki page has some info on it.

This is a really exciting development as it now allows almost complete "hands-off" the compact flash card for doing configurations and firmware updates. Excellent work.

And this just in, literally!
David Crocker has just released an updated dc42 firmware that includes Christian's iap.bin!

Sublime Layers - my blog on Musings and Experiments in 3D Printing Technology and Art

Start Here:
A Strategy for Successful (and Great) Prints

Strategies for Resolving Print Artifacts

The Eclectic Angler
3D-Print
Printmaster!

Re: Some good stuff coming soon!

Post by 3D-Print »

That is totally AWESOME!!!
My 3D-Printing learning curve is asymptotic to a Delta's X, Y and Z-axes
critical_limit
Printmaster!

Post by critical_limit »

had installed 1.09x beta and now I´ve updated to 1.09x release.
Worked like a charme over the webinterface update function.
Simply copy the firmware file with the webinterface. After uploading you will get a message that a firmware was uploaded and if you want to do this update.
Really easy now to update the firmware now.

Great work! Thanx Chris and David!
DerStig
Printmaster!

Post by DerStig »

mhackney wrote:More details here: Duet In-application firmware updates!
And this just in, literally!
David Crocker has just released an updated dc42 firmware that includes Christian's iap.bin!
So quick question for the total programming noob here. How does one update a fresh virgin not yet installed Duet board when he does install it?
mhackney
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by mhackney »

It depends on what's on that new Duet. Yu should be able to update DWC to v1.11 by uploading the zip package for it. From there you upload iap.bin and once that's done you can upload any version of firmware you want.

There is no programming involved, this is not like Arduino where you have to compile the source code in order to upload to the controller.

Sublime Layers - my blog on Musings and Experiments in 3D Printing Technology and Art

Start Here:

The Eclectic Angler
Great_Thark
Prints-a-lot

Post by Great_Thark »

This is good stuff. The whole bosac thing was a pain (i had a wrong version initially) in fact the whole web interface is great work.
Do you know if there is any intention to add a login option so you can access remotely without letting everyone else access your printer.
mhackney
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by mhackney »

What do you mean by a login option? You can set a password today and only authenticated users can access the printer. Doesn't that solve the problem.

Start Here:

The Eclectic Angler
3D-Print
Printmaster!

Post by 3D-Print »

Great_Thark wrote: Do you know if there is any intention to add a login option so you can access remotely without letting everyone else access your printer.
Are you thinking of a way to login and access your printer when outside your personal home network??
My 3D-Printing learning curve is asymptotic to a Delta's X, Y and Z-axes
mhackney
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by mhackney »

I already do that. It requires having external access - which I can configure on my router. Then, as a secondary measure the login credentials to DWC itself provide an extra level of access control.

Start Here:

The Eclectic Angler
bot
Printmaster!

Post by bot »

I use teamviewer (a free app) to connect to a local machine to control my printer. You can use it from your phone, anywhere in the world.
*not actually a robot
CRPerryJr
Printmaster!

Post by CRPerryJr »

Woot!
SeeMeCNC Rostock Max V2
Makerbot Replicator Gen 5
Great_Thark
Prints-a-lot

Post by Great_Thark »

I must have missed something. Never saw any way to have login credentials. Atm using remote desktop to a local machine but its a bit of a klutzy solution.
mhackney
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by mhackney »

Look at the top of config.g - username and password. The comment says for FTP but it also applies to the web interface.

Start Here:

The Eclectic Angler
Great_Thark
Prints-a-lot

Post by Great_Thark »

mhackney wrote:Look at the top of config.g - username and password. The comment says for FTP but it also applies to the web interface.
Ta :)
Eaglezsoar
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by Eaglezsoar »

mhackney wrote:Look at the top of config.g - username and password. The comment says for FTP but it also applies to the web interface.
Thanks for that info Michael, I missed that one.
“ Do Not Regret Growing Older. It is a Privilege Denied to Many. ”
Great_Thark
Prints-a-lot

Post by Great_Thark »

Great_Thark wrote:
Ta :)
So I eventually got round to checking this, I didn't miss it, i've put a password in but it doesnt ask just logs on
mhackney
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by mhackney »

Hmm, you did precede it with the parameter ID "P" correct? It should look like this:

M551 Popensesame

Where the password is opensesame

This works on all of my Duets, I get a password prompt when I try to access via the Duet Web Control.

Start Here:

The Eclectic Angler
Great_Thark
Prints-a-lot

Post by Great_Thark »

mhackney wrote:Hmm, you did precede it with the parameter ID "P" correct? It should look like this:

M551 Popensesame

Where the password is opensesame

This works on all of my Duets, I get a password prompt when I try to access via the Duet Web Control.
ermm no P .... I'll get there lol

Thank you
mhackney
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by mhackney »

it's a subtle thing but all the G and M codes must have a parameter ID preceeding parameters. Like G0 X1 Y1. In this case "P" is the parameter ID.

Start Here:

The Eclectic Angler

Return to “Duet”