Duet setup - instructions in progress

mhackney
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Re: Duet setup - instructions in progress

Post by mhackney »

My blog has everything you need to update the Duet and PanelDue firmware using Mac OS X. http://sublimelayers.blogspot.com/2015/ ... -os-x.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

If you are still having issues, let me know and we'll work them out.

Sublime Layers - my blog on Musings and Experiments in 3D Printing Technology and Art

Start Here:
A Strategy for Successful (and Great) Prints

Strategies for Resolving Print Artifacts

The Eclectic Angler
mhackney
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by mhackney »

Firstly, there is a new dc42 firmware released today that is the bees knees: https://github.com/dc42/RepRapFirmware/tree/dev/Release" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Secondly, your extruder issue is due to generating gcode with incremental vs relative extrusion. I'm attaching my KISS configuration that has things set up properly for Duet including explicitly setting this up in the gcode prefix.
_printers.ini
(8.89 KiB) Downloaded 289 times
Also, here are my config files that include leveling:
Archive.zip
(4.46 KiB) Downloaded 293 times

Sublime Layers - my blog on Musings and Experiments in 3D Printing Technology and Art

Start Here:

The Eclectic Angler
Lightpath
Printmaster!

Post by Lightpath »

You're the best man, thanks very much. I'll give this a go!
Eaglezsoar
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by Eaglezsoar »

Thank you, thank you, thank you!
mhackney
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by mhackney »

I just posted a mini review of the new DuetWebControl v1.08 on my blog. It includes screenshots so you can see what all the hoopla is about.

The coolest new feature is the ability to edit the config.g file directly from the web interface! No more uploading.

Start Here:

The Eclectic Angler
ccavanaugh
Printmaster!

Post by ccavanaugh »

Thanks!... It appears as if support for the Duet is quickly outpacing the Smoothie and it looks like it will displace most of the need to run OctoPrint.

... next build, no smoothie for me!
Eaglezsoar
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by Eaglezsoar »

Michael, your blog is becoming my go to source of information, especially all the Duet info. Thanks for another great job!
mhackney
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by mhackney »

Thanks Carl.

ccavanaugh, although I do have Smoothie on 1 machine just to stay current with new developments, if one is starting with a clean slate and wants the best hardware/firmware available for delta printers TODAY (it could change tomorrow!) then Duet is a hands down winner. Note I did not say "least expensive". In this case you get what you pay for and the slight extra cost is more than made up in features and a low frustration level.

Where Duet and dc42 firmware excel:

1) The hardware (v.8.5) supports 2 extruders but can be expanded to support 6 with an add on Duex4 card off the shelf.
2) The hardware is 32bit ARM processor and has enough RAM to do everything it is capable of doing.
3) The hardware has both USB and an Ethernet port and a micro SD port.
4) The PanelDue display is a touch screen display loaded with features.
5) The firmware calculates every point of movement - does it make a print quality difference? No proof has been given but intuitively, it is better than segmented movements.
6) The Firmware is very easy to configure via gcode flies. You do not have to compile/recompile anything to configure for your printer. When a new firmware version is released, you can get the binary and flash it to your Duet easily.
7) It is easy to configure the Duet on a WIFI network with a <$20 wifi bridge for wireless printing
8) The DuetWebControl application is full featured, can upload and manage gcode files, supports macros, and can now allow in-place editing of the configuration file.
9) And the best for last, the delta auto calibration is by far the easiest and fastest to use and has always given me great results in less than 30 seconds per run. It is so good and fast that I don't hesitate to calibrate any time I feel like it.

Start Here:

The Eclectic Angler
ccavanaugh
Printmaster!

Post by ccavanaugh »

mhackney wrote:Thanks Carl.

ccavanaugh, although I do have Smoothie on 1 machine just to stay current with new developments, if one is starting with a clean slate and wants the best hardware/firmware available for delta printers TODAY (it could change tomorrow!) then Duet is a hands down winner. Note I did not say "least expensive". In this case you get what you pay for and the slight extra cost is more than made up in features and a low frustration level.

Where Duet and dc42 firmware excel:

1) The hardware (v.8.5) supports 2 extruders but can be expanded to support 6 with an add on Duex4 card off the shelf.
2) The hardware is 32bit ARM processor and has enough RAM to do everything it is capable of doing.
3) The hardware has both USB and an Ethernet port and a micro SD port.
4) The PanelDue display is a touch screen display loaded with features.
5) The firmware calculates every point of movement - does it make a print quality difference? No proof has been given but intuitively, it is better than segmented movements.
6) The Firmware is very easy to configure via gcode flies. You do not have to compile/recompile anything to configure for your printer. When a new firmware version is released, you can get the binary and flash it to your Duet easily.
7) It is easy to configure the Duet on a WIFI network with a <$20 wifi bridge for wireless printing
8) The DuetWebControl application is full featured, can upload and manage gcode files, supports macros, and can now allow in-place editing of the configuration file.
9) And the best for last, the delta auto calibration is by far the easiest and fastest to use and has always given me great results in less than 30 seconds per run. It is so good and fast that I don't hesitate to calibrate any time I feel like it.
I've got a smoothie today and certainly won't part with it unnecessarily. It is a good board and works well, but the community behind the board does make a big difference and that is where the Duet appears to excel for me.

I also like the connector and component layout on the Duet better. Some thought has clearly gone into the led, sdcard, ethernet jack, etc, placement. It makes an enclosure design easier. The smoothie mounting holes are so close to components that you can't safely locate a screw next to it without risking a short unless you go plastic.

My only gripe about the Duet is I would like to see a lower cost panel option that integrates as easily as the touch panel. AND, maybe there is something out there I've not stumbled on.
Lightpath
Printmaster!

Post by Lightpath »

I feel like I'm getting close.

I had to increase the amperage on the extruder to an amp to keep it from skipping. It now extrudes, although I admit, shamefully, that I took one look at the bondtech qr and had to have one. So I'm just going to be re-doing that part of it when the bondtech arrives from Sweden. The current extruder will work fine for the moment.

The problem I have right now is with z-height. I homed the printer, and heated the extruder/bed.

I then lowered the nozzle until it just grabbed a sheet of paper. I took the resulting z-height and put it into the H setting of the M665 line:

M665 R115 L269.0 B100 H372 X0.194 Y0.72 Z0.00 ; set delta radius, diagonal rod length, printable radius and homed height

I update the config file using the new web software that just came out- So much easier than uploading files.

I hit "auto calibration". The head comes down, hits all of the points, and retracts half way up the towers. Fine.

Then I set a simple print to go, sliced in kisslicer with the settting file you posted. The head crashes into the surface and is dragged until I hit emergency stop.

Any thoughts? I think I'm almost to the point where I can print!
mhackney
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by mhackney »

Lightpath, what extruder are you using and what stepper do you have on it?

Sorry about advocating for the QR, but I do it shamelessly because it works! To date, I have not had a single issue with any of them doing some fancy dance stuff with them too (Cyclops hot end, etc).

Auto calibration is where the Duet and dc42 really shine. Are you using FSRs?

Yes, I think I know the problem because I "hit" it last night helping my son migrate to Duet on his mini Kossel!

In config.g is a G31 near the bottom. Depending on who's config you used, the defaults seem to look like this:

G31 X0 Y0 Z4.80 P500

That tells the firmware to make Z=0 4.8 mm above the bed! It is used to adjust for probes like non-contact IR probes. Check this out and see if that's the issue.

Start Here:

The Eclectic Angler
Lightpath
Printmaster!

Post by Lightpath »

Ok, I think I've figured out another one of my problems... Although now I think I have introduced another.

For an extruder I am using the stock extruder. At least until the QR gets here, although from what I can tell it hasn't even shipped yet.

For a hot end I'm using an e3dv6. I calibrated the thermistor today by shoving a thermocouple down into the hot end and using a handheld temperature tester. So I'm comfortable that at least that part is correct.

My big problem at the moment has something to do with geometry.

First I measured the height of the printer by homing the towers, then heating the bed/hot end to temp, and then lower the head until it just grabs a piece of paper. I tune that number so it just grabs the paper when it hits zero.

Then when it's auto calibrating on the outer edge it hits/scrapes the plate, and when working on the middle ring it is way too high, and won't lower itself to the point where the nozzle impacts the bed. I checked, my arm length is set correctly, but something is obviously set wrong.
Xenocrates
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by Xenocrates »

That would be a Horizontal radius issue, from the sounds of it.
Machines:
Rostock Max V2, Duet .8.5, PT100 enabled E3D V6 and volcano, Raymond style enclosure
Automation Technology 60W laser cutter/engraver
1m X-carve router

Sic Transit Gloria Mundi
01-10011-11111100001
Lightpath
Printmaster!

Post by Lightpath »

Changing the horizontal radius certainly did help. I'm not sure how to calculate it precisely, however.

Any thoughts on how to calculate it accurately?
mhackney
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by mhackney »

If you are using auto calibration, DO NOT set Z=0 before you do! You need to leave a little (10mm is good) clearance for auto calibration to work or you will get this dragging until the calibration is done. David describes this on his blog and also it is commented in the config.g file (;*** The homed height is deliberately set too high in the following - you will adjust it during calibration)

You also want to read the comments in bed.g

You only need to get the delta config settings in the ballpark and auto calibration will take it from there.

Start Here:

The Eclectic Angler
Lightpath
Printmaster!

Post by Lightpath »

Awesome. Ok, I thought the z-height needed to be manually set. I'll re-read the comment in the config.g file and see if I can't figure out how I came to that conclusion.

I certainly have the delta config settings in the ball park now. I'll set the z-height to something more reasonable when I get home from work and give that a go now that things are looking better.

I'm not sure I like my FSR supports- I designed them myself. Pretty straightforward, but I'm still not 100% sold. I need to set the sensitivity to 0.85 in order for them not to trigger when the printer moves. I will check to make sure there isn't one sensor that is more jittery than the others. I'll also re-read bed.g.
mhackney
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by mhackney »

I literally just posted an entry on FSR Auto Calibration Setup for Duet Controller on my blog. Hopefully it helps.

Start Here:

The Eclectic Angler
Lightpath
Printmaster!

Post by Lightpath »

A great read, thanks!

One thing that I just clued into- When upgrading I decided to leave the little ATX power supply behind, and just run off my 24v bed power supply. So I hooked everything up, and it's all been working. What I don't think I realized is that the heater block in the e3dv6 is 12v, so I ordered a 24v. I don't think anything bad happened, but... I need some new fans too.
mhackney
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by mhackney »

YEs, if you are upgrading to 24V you need 24V fans, 24V heater element. You could also get an inexpensive 24-12V convertor and simply run your existing stuff off that. I do that because the little squirrel cage fans I like for part cooling only come in 12V.

I use these: http://amzn.com/B00CGSHR2S" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; More than enough to handle a 40W cartridge heater and a couple of fans.

Start Here:

The Eclectic Angler
Lightpath
Printmaster!

Post by Lightpath »

I didn't have too much luck last night. My FSRs are a little too sensitive and are kicking off when the carriage moves. I have the resistance set at mid level. When I do get an autocalibration to touch the surface and trigger the FSRs properly on all test points I try to do a test print- Half of my bed the head scrapes across, the other the head is several mm above the bed. I'll post my bed.g and config.g when I get home, because I clearly have something set pretty dorky. I have an IR z probe from Filastruder. I may give that a go if I can't dial in the FSRs.
mhackney
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by mhackney »

If your FSRs are triggering on simple movement you have a mounting issue. Even at the most sensitive jumper setting you should not get triggering from vibration. Consequently, you are not getting an accurate calibration.

Remove all the jumpers and then jog up and down. Watch the JohnSL board. Which LEDs are lighting up? Is it isolated to 1 or 2 or all 3. That's the place to start.

Start Here:

The Eclectic Angler
Lightpath
Printmaster!

Post by Lightpath »

I actually tried to isolate it last night without much luck. I'll keep at it, but yea, I'm not happy at all with my mounts. I've tried placing some thick paper on top and below each FSR to try and get a more reliable response, and that worked to a point, but it's still wonky.
mhackney
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by mhackney »

You really need to have some sort of compliant rubbery material above the FSR dissipate the force. Did you get the kit for UltiBot or put together your own parts? Hardware stores sell a 1/2" OD neoprene washer that works perfectly - I have these on my Rostock.

Start Here:

The Eclectic Angler
Eaglezsoar
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by Eaglezsoar »

Michael I have seen but not tried the proximity sensor, the infrared sensor, the contact switch sensor and the the FSR sensor.
Out of all of them you think the FSR is the one to go with, is that correct?
mhackney
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by mhackney »

Absolutely FSRs at this point. The infrared sensor has problems with PEI unless you paint black on the backside. Also all 3 of those types do not probe right at the tip of the nozzle, which is exactly where you want to have your probe touch point.

As you know, SeeMeCNC is working on productizing an accelerometer based probe. There have been a few reports over that past few years on using accelerometers but no one has really got it to work (or if they have, they haven't written about it). I did a little research and found an accelerometer that has a "tap" mode built in. I have a working prototype now and I'm perfecting the software to run it. The advantage this can have if it works (mine or SeeMeCNC's) is that the probe is easily mounted to the effector and the nozzle is the touch point. It's as simple as a retrofit installation as I can imagine. FSRs are a bit of a pain to retrofit as you have to completely redo the bed mounting system.

Start Here:

The Eclectic Angler

Return to “Duet”