Broke my hot end tonight...

A place for the physical connections
Chris Muncy
Printmaster!

Broke my hot end tonight...

Post by Chris Muncy »

Well I was installing the "hose clamp" X axis tensioner this evening. No daughter or grand daughter around so it was pretty quiet. Got everything buttoned up, loaded a file, and let-r-rip. Well snap is more like it. The nozzle hit the print bed going to 0,0,0 then as it moved to start the loop I drug the tip across the kapton-on-glass and the next thing I know it's all fubar'd.

So Steve/John, I just placed an order for a new PEEK tube and a new acorn nozzle. If you could see to ship it tomorrow I might not have too bad withdraws.

*sigh*
Chris Muncy
H-1 #5
michaellatif
Printmaster!

Re: Broke my hot end tonight...

Post by michaellatif »

Ouch! I know that if I didn't have endstops I would have done the exact same thing and my neighbors would have found out that I swear like a sailor!

-Mike
Mike Latif
H-1 #3
Chris Muncy
Printmaster!

Post by Chris Muncy »

Post some pics of those so I can see how you did it.
Chris Muncy
H-1 #5
cquinby
Printmaster!

Post by cquinby »

Sorry to hear that Chris. Was this the famous load the g-code, move an axis and then his start??? I smashed more endmills and drill bits on my mill till I stuck a huge note on the grease board says "REGEN TOOLPATH!!!!!!!"

Once I figured that one out never had a issue since...

Now if I can get this dang solid infills to fill my parts. Off to make a post on that one.
__

Chris
michaellatif
Printmaster!

Post by michaellatif »

Chris Muncy wrote:Post some pics of those so I can see how you did it.
Here are some pics of the photo-interrupter endstops. They are old (~3 weeks old) but the endstops are in the same location and look the same.
H-1 - custom_photo_interup_endstop_x_axis(1).JPG
H-1 - custom_photo_interup_endstop_x_axis(2).JPG
H-1 - custom_photo_interup_endstop_y_axis(1).JPG
H-1 - custom_photo_interup_endstop_y_axis(2).JPG
H-1 - custom_photo_interup_endstop_z_axis(1).JPG
H-1 - custom_photo_interup_endstop_merg_point(1).JPG
Mike Latif
H-1 #3
Chris Muncy
Printmaster!

Post by Chris Muncy »

cquinby wrote:Sorry to hear that Chris. Was this the famous load the g-code, move an axis and then his start??? I smashed more endmills and drill bits on my mill till I stuck a huge note on the grease board says "REGEN TOOLPATH!!!!!!!"

Once I figured that one out never had a issue since...

Now if I can get this dang solid infills to fill my parts. Off to make a post on that one.
No I must have moved in Z just slightly when the steppers were off while I was doing the belt tension mod. It didn't slam in to the glass (been there, done that, really pissed me off) like when I started using Slic3r.
Chris Muncy
H-1 #5
Leeway
Printmaster!

Post by Leeway »

There is a place in Slic3r where you can add code for it to do. I am thinking about adding some to raise the Z a bit before the move to the center of the bed for just this reason.
Mine is a Prusa, but not immune to this very thing. Where it homes, there is no bed under it. Nice to be able to purge the nozzle, but if you forgot to readjust the bed or it is just a bit low for some reason, wham. If the Z lifts instead and then goes to center and then down again, there is no real crash. My bed is on springs, so easier on the hotend.
You might consider that as well.
Lee
mhackney
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by mhackney »

Lee, your bed is on springs? Can you tell me about that? Is this a standard way to mount a hot bed on a Prusa?

regards,
Michael

Sublime Layers - my blog on Musings and Experiments in 3D Printing Technology and Art

Start Here:
A Strategy for Successful (and Great) Prints

Strategies for Resolving Print Artifacts

The Eclectic Angler
Leeway
Printmaster!

Post by Leeway »

yes it is. It comes in the Prusa build kit, not the heated bed kit. The bed itself is on springs and then the heated bed bolts to the top of that and then your glass clamps on. I just clamp my glass to the heat bed circuit board lightly around the edges with Gem clips.

Having the springs there can be frustrating to start with, but once you print out some quick adjust knobs, they work great.
Hoss's thread on CNC zone shows them pretty well.
Lee
michaellatif
Printmaster!

Post by michaellatif »

For my H-1 I have the standard/basic bed (the one that comes with the kit) attached to the carriages and then a heat bed (custom built) is held in place with bolts and springs to make leveling/adjusting a breeze.
IMG_0305.JPG
IMG_0304.JPG
IMG_0303.JPG
IMG_0302.JPG
IMG_0301.JPG
Mike Latif
H-1 #3
Eaglezsoar
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by Eaglezsoar »

[quote="michaellatif"]For my H-1 I have the standard/basic bed (the one that comes with the kit) attached to the carriages and then a heat bed (custom built) is held in place with bolts and springs to make leveling/adjusting a breeze.

Thanks for the great pictures! Your design with the springs on the bed inspired me to attempt something similar.

Regards,

Carl
“ Do Not Regret Growing Older. It is a Privilege Denied to Many. ”
Chris Muncy
Printmaster!

Post by Chris Muncy »

So I *had* 2 days home between trips and still haven't had a chance to touch my printer. I'm hoping for this afternoon when the storm comes in and its just me and the Mrs. in the house.

My current problem is getting the rest of the melted PEEK out of the aluminum part of the hot end. Even with dental picks its a bear.

Anyone have any ideas? I also thought of running a tap through it but I bet its non standard.
Chris Muncy
H-1 #5
Leeway
Printmaster!

Post by Leeway »

heat it up first with a torch.
Lee
michaellatif
Printmaster!

Post by michaellatif »

Leeway wrote:heat it up first with a torch.
Yep, torch or heat gun set to burn :-)
Mike Latif
H-1 #3
johnoly99
Printmaster!

Post by johnoly99 »

3/8-24 is the thread size chris
Chris Muncy
Printmaster!

Post by Chris Muncy »

Thanks John,

But when my wife wasn't looking I grabbed it and held it over the gas stove for a few minutes and let it burn the PEEK out. I now am reassembling it and just got done with the RTV on the thermister. Hopefully when I get back in town Friday night I can get the rest of it back together.
Chris Muncy
H-1 #5

Return to “Nuts and Bolts”