Idler bearings?

A place for the physical connections
thosj
Prints-a-lot

Idler bearings?

Post by thosj »

Could someone post the bearings, the 1/4 ID ones, used to make idlers? Someone, somewhere, posted what type of bearing they used and I can't find it on Yahoo. :( Seems I remember them coming from VXB and maybe eBay. 9/32" wide if I remember.

Thanks,

Tom
mhackney
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Re: Idler bearings?

Post by mhackney »

They are standard skate bearings that you can get at a sporting goods shop locally. x x 22 x 7. Here's a link to the options at Boca Bearing. The cheap ones, 8 for $7.99 are more than enough for this application. I use Boca a lot for bearings, their shipping is always reasonable.

cheers,
Michael

Sublime Layers - my blog on Musings and Experiments in 3D Printing Technology and Art

Start Here:
A Strategy for Successful (and Great) Prints

Strategies for Resolving Print Artifacts

The Eclectic Angler
Chris Muncy
Printmaster!

Post by Chris Muncy »

http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:18869

You need this to insert in to the bearings in order for them to work. Really easy to print but print 4 at a time so that they have time to cool in between layers.
Chris Muncy
H-1 #5
thosj
Prints-a-lot

Post by thosj »

The bearing I was remembering was R4AZZ, 1/4 x 3/4 x 9/32. I got some. No need for spacer 8mm to 1/4, same 3/4 OD as original plastic idler. Seems a better fit, I'll find out!

Thanks

Tom
Chris Muncy
Printmaster!

Post by Chris Muncy »

OK I was referencing that if you were to use the skate board bearings.
Chris Muncy
H-1 #5
michaellatif
Printmaster!

Post by michaellatif »

R4A 2RS 1/4" X 3/4" X 9/32"

E-bay 10@$13.75 shipped, not bad.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/160757033936?ss ... 1439.l2649

I have them installed on my X and Y axis, I found that I need 10x32 (I think that's the size) washers on the outside so that I give the center race some thickness so that it doesn't bind or rub against the plastic washers.

I will post pics later tonight for assembly and installed.

I definitely notice a substantial difference in print quality between the plastic idlers and these bearings.
Mike Latif
H-1 #3
thosj
Prints-a-lot

Post by thosj »

Hey Michael,

I would think a #10 washer would have to be drilled to fit the 1/4 screw/threaded rod where the idlers go. I think I have some small diameter 1/4" washers I can use, or I can make whatever I need on my lathe.

Did you just use one bearing per idler, or 2? Did you use the plastic flanges, or something else?

Thanks
Chris Muncy
Printmaster!

Post by Chris Muncy »

You only use 1 bearing per idler. I used leftover washers with the kit for spacers on my bearings.
Chris Muncy
H-1 #5
Polygonhell
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by Polygonhell »

I replaced a number of my plastic idlers with skate bearings last night, the mod definitely worth while.
I haven't replaced the one idler on the threaded rod, though I will likely get to it.
For those printing the little inserts, the holes tend to come out undersized easiest way to resize them is to heat a #8 (or 5mm) drill bit and run it through the print.

Return to “Nuts and Bolts”