BerdAir comeing soon From Yellow Jacket Concepts

Do you print/build/make/create 'stuff' for modifying SeeMeCNC machines? Post them here if you do so others can see and inquire about getting them!
Jassper
Printmaster!

Re: BerdAir comeing soon From Yellow Jacket Concepts

Post by Jassper »

Xenocrates wrote:So, I was on the fence about the V2, but today settled the question. Unfortunately, that happened because my Berd-Air dropped down into the part (Second time it's happened, but I changed the mount and added superglue between those events), causing it to come up and fail while I was in class. Not a problem so much with the Berd air, but more of with mounting it. That caused it to get stuck in a large clump of ABS.

I though, No problem, I'll just cut that down some and soak it in acetone. Well, I didn't do too great there, because I managed to nick the edge of the tubing inside the hunk (Didn't even notice it).

I just wish I had gotten the V2 at MRRF, since I was just there, and could have avoided the downtime on the Berd-Air.

I definitely am going to epoxy a trio of little lugs onto it to hold it in place (Positive retention on both sides for two positions, Volcano and V6) when I get the next one set up, and I'm not questioning my getting a new one in the slightest. It is a lovely bit of kit, and I love the idea.
Sorry to hear that. That happened to me also once. A loose connection prevented my pump from turning on and the edge of a small overhang curled up and the pipe snagged it. When I found it the part was hanging from the pipe and a big yellow mass around the heater block. lol

As long as my pipe is working properly that little over hang stays flat! That pesky overhang in the past would either cause the hot end to knock the print off the bed, or it would actually push the nozzle over 2 mm and cause a nasty layer shift.

I was able to save my pipe simply by heating my hotend up and carefully pulling the mass of PLA off.
The MakerHive
Yellow Jacket Quick Clip Plug in board
Berd-Air Cooling Kit
The MakerHive Store
Some things are meant to be closed, your mind isn't one of them.
There is a difference between what you know and what you have been told
Jassper
Printmaster!

Post by Jassper »

I am testing a new pump that produces more air and is a lot more quiet than other larger pumps. I may design a box for it to help keep it even quieter.

https://youtu.be/ec1zfkOD_Ic
The MakerHive
Berd-Air Cooling Kit
The MakerHive Store
AlanZ
Printmaster!

Post by AlanZ »

Jasper, I will be happy to buy and test one.
Lightpath
Printmaster!

Post by Lightpath »

So can a berd air be used entirely instead of layer cooling for materials like PLA or do you still need layer fans?
Jassper
Printmaster!

Post by Jassper »

This system works best for smaller areas. Large volume of material or big over hangs are harder too cool. I’m currently testing other pumps for greater volume, and additional cooling pipes for larger areas. The grater the mass of plastic the harder it is too cool, but thin walls and smaller area is where you should see a difference. It should cool PLA just fine. I use PLA mostly and I started getting Layer separation after I started using my Berd-Air. One tip is to keep the Yellow tube as short as possible as it will restrict your airflow.

The main goal here is to remove the big bulky layer fans all together. I really don't like all that clutter on the hotend.
The MakerHive
Berd-Air Cooling Kit
The MakerHive Store
3D-Print
Printmaster!

Post by 3D-Print »

I am looking for a mount for the standard Rostock V2 platform. I know there's a couple different ideas out there but didn't know if there was a "best option."

Thanks.

Addendum: I found Xenocrates version 3 that I will print and try. Will see how I can attach it to the platform.
My 3D-Printing learning curve is asymptotic to a Delta's X, Y and Z-axes
DanWake
Noob

Post by DanWake »

Some sample parts using the new BerdAir Max - much better cooling. These parts were printed with 0% infill and two outer shells on my Graber I3. I kept the temperature settings the same and used the same GCODE for each print; the only change was switching to the Max pump. I'm driving the larger pump directly off of a super cheap RAMPS board with the original mosfet for speed control. The mosfet barely gets warm to the touch even after hours of printing.

The new kit is available at http://www.themakerhive.com/shop/viewit ... oductid=28
BerdAir Max on the left, original BerdAir on the right
-Dan
Cartesians forever!
Qdeathstar
Printmaster!

Post by Qdeathstar »

Hi,

I recently purchased this, and i was wondering if there is anything in particular that i should know. It seems pretty simple... but any tips or tricks anyone knows of let me know. I plan to mount it on my enclosure about half way down the rostock to keep the tube shortish.

Also, can I plug this into the rambo board directly (using the part fan PWM) or do i need a separate controller?
Jassper
Printmaster!

Post by Jassper »

I'm not sure if the Rambo board can handle 1 amp on the fan PWM output. I haven't tried it yet.
There is a PWM controller available as an option. http://www.themakerhive.com/shop/viewit ... oductid=36

When mounting the Pump, try not to block the holes in the motor case. These help keep the pump motor cool.

Thanks and I would welcome any feed back.
The MakerHive
Berd-Air Cooling Kit
The MakerHive Store
Qdeathstar
Printmaster!

Post by Qdeathstar »

Thanks, arrived in the mail today. Waiting for my 737maker effector/mount and then it's time to get down to business.
Qdeathstar
Printmaster!

Post by Qdeathstar »

https://www.amazon.com/Opto-22-Control- ... 2470955011

Also, if i connected that to the current fan output, could i use it to control the pump? And, could i use the same 12v power supply using that? I think i read somewhere if you use an SSR you have to use separate power supplies.

Thanks!
Jassper
Printmaster!

Post by Jassper »

That would depend on the specifics of the SSR, but it should work yes.
I don't think you will need a separate power supply, what you read was probably referring to a heated bed.

Here is a good picture of the BerdAir MAX overhang cooling.
[img]http://www.themakerhive.com/FTP/jassper ... erhang.jpg[/img]
The MakerHive
Berd-Air Cooling Kit
The MakerHive Store
Qdeathstar
Printmaster!

Post by Qdeathstar »

I thought perhaps the ssr itself works in such a way that a separate power supply would be required
r0n_dL
Noob

Post by r0n_dL »

Interested in getting one of these. So does the MakerHive have everything to run this? Would this work with the E3D sock?
Qdeathstar
Printmaster!

Post by Qdeathstar »

The kit comes with everything you need, it will work with any hot end, but you'll likely have to design a mount for it. I'd buy an extra ring tube, because there is a small learning curve to getting the right bend on the tube. Other than that i am very impressed with the upgrade.

http://forum.seemecnc.com/viewtopic.php?f=59&t=10878
Jassper
Printmaster!

Post by Jassper »

Only 2 left in stock! (more on the way)
http://www.themakerhive.com/shop/viewit ... oductid=28

And the last few days for a 25% discount on the Yellow Jacket plugg-in hot end board. Ends December 4th!
http://www.themakerhive.com/shop/viewit ... oductid=20
The MakerHive
Berd-Air Cooling Kit
The MakerHive Store
Qdeathstar
Printmaster!

Post by Qdeathstar »

I highly recommend the berdAir :D
Xenocrates
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by Xenocrates »

I like them a lot too. I do wish it was possible to get one sized to fit at the base of an E3D heater sock, as I found they didn't fit properly with one. Perhaps I should just buy some tubing and give it a shot myself.
Machines:
Rostock Max V2, Duet .8.5, PT100 enabled E3D V6 and volcano, Raymond style enclosure
Automation Technology 60W laser cutter/engraver
1m X-carve router

Sic Transit Gloria Mundi
01-10011-11111100001
Jassper
Printmaster!

Post by Jassper »

Xenocrates wrote:I like them a lot too. I do wish it was possible to get one sized to fit at the base of an E3D heater sock, as I found they didn't fit properly with one. Perhaps I should just buy some tubing and give it a shot myself.
How big do you need the inner diameter to be? I can adjust the circle to fit larger nozzles.
The MakerHive
Berd-Air Cooling Kit
The MakerHive Store
mhackney
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by mhackney »

Yes, the E3D sock is quite useful and I've modified my air tubes to fit over a couple of printers with them. It is nominally 12mm diameter and about 3mm tall. Here is a photo of a slightly expanded BerdAir tube wrapped around it.
IMG_7517.JPG
IMG_7518.JPG
IMG_7520.JPG
I don't think you need to change your design, as it is the aluminum tube nicely snugs and is held on the sock.

Sublime Layers - my blog on Musings and Experiments in 3D Printing Technology and Art

Start Here:
A Strategy for Successful (and Great) Prints

Strategies for Resolving Print Artifacts

The Eclectic Angler
Xenocrates
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by Xenocrates »

funnily enough, the spare tube I have fits over them without issue, while the one that I actually use currently is a little tight. If there's any adjustment needed, it's on the sub-millimeter scale overall. Perhaps I just suck at bending tubing.
Machines:
Rostock Max V2, Duet .8.5, PT100 enabled E3D V6 and volcano, Raymond style enclosure
Automation Technology 60W laser cutter/engraver
1m X-carve router

Sic Transit Gloria Mundi
01-10011-11111100001
Jassper
Printmaster!

Post by Jassper »

Ah - OK. If the ring is a bit tight, hold the ring in your left hand and grasp the ring between your thumb and for-finger. Then carefully pull the ring open a bit with your right hand, pulling on the straight part. Very little movement is needed, be careful not to pull to hard as the holes make the tubing weak and my bend or break.

I will order a sock and make sure the ring fits for the future!

Thanks!

BTW, I just received more pumps so I will be listing more kits soon! (probably Monday) I also have a "do-hicky" I designed so the pump can be controlled directly from your printers FAN output without fear of blowing out the Fans output MOSFET! I'll post more on it as soon as the boards come in!
The MakerHive
Berd-Air Cooling Kit
The MakerHive Store
Qdeathstar
Printmaster!

Post by Qdeathstar »

i also would be interested in a pipe that fits the jackets.. i purchased som copper tubing and plan to make some straight nozzles, but, obviously i think a round one that fits the socks would be better.
AlanZ
Printmaster!

Post by AlanZ »

Jasper,

I think a Berd Air would be a great addition to my Eris... especially when printing challenging models like the 3DBenchy or spiral vases.

The Eris' hot end can't keep up with a traditional box fan pointed at the nozzle (temperature drops quickly), so directing the air below the nozzle seems like a perfect solution.

I was going to order the upgraded pump for the Berd Air that's on my Rostock Max v2...

Do you think the smaller or larger pump would be best for the Eris. I want to order a larger pump for my Rostock anyway.

Thanks!
Mac The Knife
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by Mac The Knife »

AlanZ wrote:Jasper,

I think a Berd Air would be a great addition to my Eris... especially when printing challenging models like the 3DBenchy or spiral vases.

The Eris' hot end can't keep up with a traditional box fan pointed at the nozzle (temperature drops quickly), so directing the air below the nozzle seems like a perfect solution.

I was going to order the upgraded pump for the Berd Air that's on my Rostock Max v2...

Do you think the smaller or larger pump would be best for the Eris. I want to order a larger pump for my Rostock anyway.

Thanks!

I wrapped my Eris hotend with the self sticking silicone tape. Helps a bunch to keep the temps up.
R-Max V2
Eris
Folger Tech FT-5 R2

Return to “Members Marketplace”