DX.com (Deal Extreme) Cautionary Tale

Do you print/build/make/create 'stuff' for modifying SeeMeCNC machines? Post them here if you do so others can see and inquire about getting them!
Jimustanguitar
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

DX.com (Deal Extreme) Cautionary Tale

Post by Jimustanguitar »

Hey guys and gals! I had (and am still having) a nasty experience with Deal Extreme on an order I placed last month. It's not like me to share dirty customer service stories, but I figured I'd tell this one in case it saves somebody else a headache. I'm sure that my case isn't representative of the average customer experience, but it's also hard to believe that so many things could happen in sequence on my very first order with their company...

I placed a $60ish order for a 12VDC (50A!) power supply back in early January. The website (http://goo.gl/ICrVTJ" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;) says 2-4 business days for handling and 4-7 business days for shipping, so call it 11 business days worst case scenario. On the 12th day, I did a support chat with one of their folks, and he informed me that my item was on back order. That was news to me. It would have been nice to know that two weeks earlier when I could have ordered one from somebody else... He said that it would be 3 more days for the PSU to come in and then 7-11 days for shipping. (longer than the 4-7 on the site, but maybe that includes the 2-4 for handling even though that should add up to a 6-11 day range...)

Anyway, I was still a happy camper after that chat, because it was only going to be 14 more business days worst case scenario. After 9 of those 14 business days, my order status still said that the item was unshipped :/ This time I opened a support ticket on their website for an "item not received 20 days after payment". Again, several days went by with nothing but crickets. I decided to open a case with PayPal and ask for a refund. After several days of that, I added notes explaining that I was escalating the dispute to a claim.

Now, on the 17th, the 27th business day and 37th calendar day after placing the order - I got the first response from them (not through PayPal of course) that it was all because of the Chinese new year (Feb 8) and that if I closed the case they'd ship it... Great job reading about the refund request...

I asked them to please reply through PayPal. We'll see where that goes.

Has anybody else had a similar experience? I sure hope not... In other news, BangGood ships power supplies pretty fast :)
Captain Starfish
Printmaster!

Re: DX.com (Deal Extreme) Cautionary Tale

Post by Captain Starfish »

I've used DealExtreme for years. They do a lot of rubbish, but occasionally they come up with some gems (I used to get a lot of torch stuff off 'em).

But I learned early on that they're slow to ship. I suspect they collect orders from us until they have some MOQ for an item, place the order on their supplier, wait for it to arrive to them and then break it up and send it out to us.

I've come to factor in a MINIMUM of 6 weeks to deliver from DX when working out whether to get something from them or not. Sometimes it's still worth it.
Eaglezsoar
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by Eaglezsoar »

I don't know about that Company but here is probably the same power supply from Amazon with Prime Shipping!

http://www.amazon.com/Universal-Regulat ... wer+supply" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

This one is a 40 Amp.....
http://www.amazon.com/uxcell%C2%AE-100- ... HXYE161GT4" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
“ Do Not Regret Growing Older. It is a Privilege Denied to Many. ”
mhackney
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by mhackney »

+1 on Bangood. Chinese New Year does not slow down their shipments. I usually get stuff from them in less than 5 days from initial order date. I had a similar issue with DE in September so CNY was not a factor. I think it comes down to they sell things that don't actually stock.

Sublime Layers - my blog on Musings and Experiments in 3D Printing Technology and Art

Start Here:
A Strategy for Successful (and Great) Prints

Strategies for Resolving Print Artifacts

The Eclectic Angler
DavidF
Printmaster!

Post by DavidF »

When the heck is this Chinese new year and how long does it last? I inquired about a 3d scanner a few days ago and got a slow response back because of it.
http://www.youtube.com/user/aonemarine" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Lost pla castings? see me
teoman
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by teoman »

I have bought A LOT of stuff from dx.

It takes about 20-45 days to arrive here. Mostly i have been content. But I have not used them for several years now, they upped the prices after the got very popular. Later i switched to banggood which is basically the same thing as the old dealextreme. Now my friends are using another site, ill try to get the name for it. I use aliexpress.
When on mobile I am brief and may be perceived as an arsl.
mhackney
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by mhackney »

aliexpress is a roll-up site much like Amazon has become. Vendors are rated and aliexpress does do checks on their vendors. I've never had a problem with highly rated vendors on aliexpress and shipping has been incredibly fast.

Sublime Layers - my blog on Musings and Experiments in 3D Printing Technology and Art

Start Here:
A Strategy for Successful (and Great) Prints

Strategies for Resolving Print Artifacts

The Eclectic Angler
Jimustanguitar
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by Jimustanguitar »

Received my refund. Only took 42 days :)

I guess in the future, IF I order from DX, I'll expect it to wait on a MOQ and take forever. Sometimes that's ok, I just felt mislead about it this time around.

All's well that ends well, I guess.
Eaglezsoar
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by Eaglezsoar »

Jimustanguitar wrote:Received my refund. Only took 42 days :)

I guess in the future, IF I order from DX, I'll expect it to wait on a MOQ and take forever. Sometimes that's ok, I just felt mislead about it this time around.

All's well that ends well, I guess.
There are many other Companies out there Jim and I would not deal with a Company like that unless they were the only ones on our planet that sold the item.
Thanks for tipping us off to how they do business.
“ Do Not Regret Growing Older. It is a Privilege Denied to Many. ”
Khalid Khattak
Printmaster!

Post by Khalid Khattak »

You are lucky they atleast shipping . I had waited for few items for years never recieved. I abandoned this site. Aliexpress is way cheaper then that.

Return to “Members Marketplace”