Page 1 of 1

Buckethead - Rostock Max V2 to V3

Posted: Wed Jan 04, 2017 3:02 am
by trash80
Hey everyone.
Meet Buckethead, or Cakehat, or Cakefacehead or whatever. My V2 turned V3 + Mods:
Image
Image

The obvious first mod is the case. It's the slim case by Noircogi available at http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:1796438 out of 1/4in acrylic with a few minor tweaks. For the case door's latch I inserted a 1/4" magnet into the unoccupied screw hole and mounted a bit of metal onto the door:
Spoiler:
Image


Since the case does not fit the stock hotend part cooling fans I opted for blowers and a bit of my own design along with switching out the HE280 for my old V6 out of personal preference:
Spoiler:
Image


I upgraded the brains of the operation to the Duet Wifi and PanelDue with 7" display and thus needed a way to mount it so I added standoff holes to the top plate of the door side of the enclosure design:
Spoiler:
Image


To finish off the enclosure I added parts gutted from a tiny $20 space heater as well as a large PC fan to circulate the hot air back down: (you can see them mounted at the top)
Spoiler:
Image


It only needs to reach around 50C so the heater worked out fine and it already has a thermal cutoff fuse so the only bits required was to shove a thermistor 3/4 the way down the whip to track internal temp and adding a AC SSR into the top, all nicely controlled with the Duet controller.

Since both the top and bottom compartments are now completely blocked off (holes and all) from the heated chamber I needed new ventilation. I still had the RAMBO LCD case panel with the giant hole in it, so printed a copy of it and found some scrap metal mesh to make nice vents:
Spoiler:
Image


Because the bed took so long to heat up it was upgraded to a 24v (20v) supply via Noircogi's thread: http://forum.seemecnc.com/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=10904 I also added a thermal 100C cutoff fuse mounted to the backside of the heater PCB. (This might change but it's a good start)
Spoiler:
Image


I'm diving into nylon printing as well, and wanted a dust and moisture resistive spool container. I bought a cheap cake container on Amazon and put a large turntable in it. Added rubber sticker back feet to the turntable to grip to the spool and added a rubber grommet with the V2's old bowden tube to make the run to the extruder. (I already had the turntable from another project, it's a bit excessive otherwise)
Spoiler:
Image


I switched out the EZ Struder to the Bondtech QR because I was having a tough time with flexible filament. Thanks to mhackney for his blog post it made the transition easy. http://sublimelayers.blogspot.com/2016/10/installing-bondtech-qr-extruder-on-my.html

Finally the last mod I made, was the HE280's accelerometer i2c adapter for the Duet. http://forum.seemecnc.com/viewtopic.php?f=112&t=11267 I used a Teensy for fast development, and later mhackney also made one for the Trinket as well: http://forum.seemecnc.com/viewtopic.php?f=112&t=11286

Hopefully my mods are over for awhile. I am sick of tearing the poor thing apart every other week.
And for now I'm getting some pretty great prints. 8-) Thanks for sharing info on the forum guys! This community is pretty great even for lurkers like me.

Re: Buckethead - Rostock Max V2 to V3

Posted: Wed Jan 04, 2017 8:10 am
by Jimustanguitar
And it prints with the souls of thousands of dead chickens. (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Buckethead in case you didn't know)

Re: Buckethead - Rostock Max V2 to V3

Posted: Wed Jan 04, 2017 1:32 pm
by trash80
Jimustanguitar wrote:And it prints with the souls of thousands of dead chickens. (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Buckethead in case you didn't know)


The similarity is uncanny. ;)

Re: Buckethead - Rostock Max V2 to V3

Posted: Wed Jan 04, 2017 8:59 pm
by crocky
Nice job with ALL the mods :)

I am about to do the Duet and the Panel Due... I have a Teensy and will be getting a Trinket to do the 12c switching, which one is better... Apparently the Teensy allows you to change the accelerator settings so I may have to go with that?

Re: Buckethead - Rostock Max V2 to V3

Posted: Wed Jan 04, 2017 9:04 pm
by mhackney
You can change the accelerometer configuration in the source code for either the Teensy or Trinket versions. The code is very similar. The Teensy does allow you to actively monitor what's going on if via the Arduino Console.

Re: Buckethead - Rostock Max V2 to V3

Posted: Thu Jan 05, 2017 4:43 am
by crocky
Thanks Michael.... I won't be using a console so I will wait just a little while longer..

Re: Buckethead - Rostock Max V2 to V3

Posted: Thu Jan 05, 2017 1:58 pm
by trash80
If you already have a Teensy 3.1/3.2 and you are not planning on using it for anything else, I would use that.
The Trinket is great for a minimal and cheaper solution, but the Teensy is far more powerful which will allow extra tweaking and testing if you ever end up down that road.

Re: Buckethead - Rostock Max V2 to V3

Posted: Thu Jan 05, 2017 2:02 pm
by mhackney
Ive been doing all of my testing and experiments with the Teensy 3.2. Once I have things worked out (very close now) I will implement the same configuration on the Trinket and do a head to head comparison. In theory they should be identical but we will see.

Re: Buckethead - Rostock Max V2 to V3

Posted: Thu Jan 05, 2017 2:07 pm
by trash80
mhackney wrote:Ive been doing all of my testing and experiments with the Teensy 3.2. Once I have things worked out (very close now) I will implement the same configuration on the Trinket and do a head to head comparison. In theory they should be identical but we will see.


Awesome. We should try to merge both codebases into the same thing if you're interested. There is no real reason to keep them separate other than the pin configuration, which we could have two separate branches for, or a simple config at the top.

Yeah and I agree, there should not be any real difference between them, unless processing speed ends up being a factor.

Re: Buckethead - Rostock Max V2 to V3

Posted: Thu Jan 05, 2017 2:10 pm
by mhackney
Yes, absolutely that makes sense.

Re: Buckethead - Rostock Max V2 to V3

Posted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 3:14 pm
by jpmc1986
trash80 wrote:Hey everyone.
Meet Buckethead, or Cakehat, or Cakefacehead or whatever. My V2 turned V3 + Mods:
Image
Image

The obvious first mod is the case. It's the slim case by Noircogi available at http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:1796438 out of 1/4in acrylic with a few minor tweaks. For the case door's latch I inserted a 1/4" magnet into the unoccupied screw hole and mounted a bit of metal onto the door:
Spoiler:
Image


Since the case does not fit the stock hotend part cooling fans I opted for blowers and a bit of my own design along with switching out the HE280 for my old V6 out of personal preference:
Spoiler:
Image


I upgraded the brains of the operation to the Duet Wifi and PanelDue with 7" display and thus needed a way to mount it so I added standoff holes to the top plate of the door side of the enclosure design:
Spoiler:
Image


To finish off the enclosure I added parts gutted from a tiny $20 space heater as well as a large PC fan to circulate the hot air back down: (you can see them mounted at the top)
Spoiler:
Image


It only needs to reach around 50C so the heater worked out fine and it already has a thermal cutoff fuse so the only bits required was to shove a thermistor 3/4 the way down the whip to track internal temp and adding a AC SSR into the top, all nicely controlled with the Duet controller.

Since both the top and bottom compartments are now completely blocked off (holes and all) from the heated chamber I needed new ventilation. I still had the RAMBO LCD case panel with the giant hole in it, so printed a copy of it and found some scrap metal mesh to make nice vents:
Spoiler:
Image


Because the bed took so long to heat up it was upgraded to a 24v (20v) supply via Noircogi's thread: http://forum.seemecnc.com/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=10904 I also added a thermal 100C cutoff fuse mounted to the backside of the heater PCB. (This might change but it's a good start)
Spoiler:
Image


I'm diving into nylon printing as well, and wanted a dust and moisture resistive spool container. I bought a cheap cake container on Amazon and put a large turntable in it. Added rubber sticker back feet to the turntable to grip to the spool and added a rubber grommet with the V2's old bowden tube to make the run to the extruder. (I already had the turntable from another project, it's a bit excessive otherwise)
Spoiler:
Image


I switched out the EZ Struder to the Bondtech QR because I was having a tough time with flexible filament. Thanks to mhackney for his blog post it made the transition easy. http://sublimelayers.blogspot.com/2016/10/installing-bondtech-qr-extruder-on-my.html

Finally the last mod I made, was the HE280's accelerometer i2c adapter for the Duet. http://forum.seemecnc.com/viewtopic.php?f=112&t=11267 I used a Teensy for fast development, and later mhackney also made one for the Trinket as well: http://forum.seemecnc.com/viewtopic.php?f=112&t=11286

Hopefully my mods are over for awhile. I am sick of tearing the poor thing apart every other week.
And for now I'm getting some pretty great prints. 8-) Thanks for sharing info on the forum guys! This community is pretty great even for lurkers like me.


Great build! I am in the process of setting my v3 up running. Any chance you can share the STL of the hot end fan shroud youre using?
It would be greatly appreciated!