I did this because I originally had mounted mine up in my lathe to drill and tape for the PTF connector. When I did I careelessly damaged my stainless thermal break beyond repair and had to make a new one from scratch. After doing so I noted that the piece I made seemed to leave an ever so slight lip inside between the stainless and the aluminium where they met. Knowing that my lathe is dead on centered, then reverifying it to be I tried loading my original stainless back in to check out of curiousity. Only to find the ever so slight lip had become worse.
I then loaded mine in and went on my merry way.
After reading about poly's troubles and hearing others having some small issues while yet others had none I speculated that the e3d process did not included a quick re-drill/bore AFTER assembly to ensure everything was lined up ship shape.
After my friend got one and had never used it yet, I did the same inspection only to discover that it too had the small lip at the join between coldside and stainless. No doubt this would have cause very similar issues that some people have had. So we did the same procedure to his, bore, polish and he has not had one problem either.
I'm the kinda guy who will often take apart his brand new gizmo before even using it one time, just tto check it out, verify everything is ship shape and reassemble before first use. I can not count how often this has revealed future or even immediate potential problems. I boil it down to mass market manufacturing and quality testing is not what it used to be in order to help save a few bucks in the competitive market of today.
The old saying "You get what you pay for!" is no longer totally always true. You pay for it and still not get what you pay for. But you will not go wrong double checking the work your paying for. Unless you screw the thing up of course, LOL.
"Now you see why evil will always triumph! Because good is dumb." - Spaceballs