Xnaron Printable Magnetic u-joint option for Rostock Max

All things related to the Rostock MAX 3D Printer, the worlds FIRST Delta kit!
Christian79
Printmaster!
Posts: 93
Joined: Mon Jun 03, 2013 12:25 pm

Re: Xnaron Printable Magnetic u-joint option for Rostock Max

Postby Christian79 » Sun Mar 09, 2014 10:29 pm

Oh my…. I have not been back to page one in a while….. There are quite a few pics there already, but if you think there is anything else that would add clarity then please add them.

Thank you!

xnaron wrote:
Christian79 wrote:
Xnaron, Do you have someplace where you have posted pics of your setup (photo bucket for example) or only in this thread? I would like to study it more closely.



I will post more pics on the first post of this thread...

bdjohns1
Printmaster!
Posts: 238
Joined: Sat Jan 25, 2014 9:50 pm
Location: Madison, WI

Re: Xnaron Printable Magnetic u-joint option for Rostock Max

Postby bdjohns1 » Sat Mar 15, 2014 12:22 am

Generic Default wrote:I attached all of the printable parts in this post, except for the magnetic cup joints. I will work on getting several sizes of those for various press fits tomorrow.

If you print the attached files, make sure to do it relatively slowly at small layer heights. I think I'm using #8 (4mm) hex head cap screws to glue my chrome balls to. I'll try to get more installation instructions and pictures tomorrow.
rail mount.png


Would you happen to have an actual CAD file for the rail mount piece? I wanted to nudge the holes in a little to align with the single hot-end platform xnaron did. I'm using FreeCad, some something it can handle, like a STEP file, would probably work best.

User avatar
Generic Default
Printmaster!
Posts: 555
Joined: Mon Jun 03, 2013 6:56 pm
Contact:

Re: Xnaron Printable Magnetic u-joint option for Rostock Max

Postby Generic Default » Sun Mar 16, 2014 3:49 am

Actually I think the holes are at the exact same distance apart as what xnaron uses. It's 50mm between ball centers on both the platform and the cheapskate rail mount.
Check out the Tri hotend!

bdjohns1
Printmaster!
Posts: 238
Joined: Sat Jan 25, 2014 9:50 pm
Location: Madison, WI

Re: Xnaron Printable Magnetic u-joint option for Rostock Max

Postby bdjohns1 » Sun Mar 16, 2014 1:35 pm

Weird - I'll have to check - I was holding one of your parts up to xnaron's effector, and the holes didn't quite seem to line up. It was close - within a mm or two.

I like your cheapskate mount better since it's got holes for the end stop on both sides - geneb's guide has you installing the brackets on the right side (looking from the center out to each pillar), but xnaron's brackets only have a stop screw hole on the left. Not a big deal to have to drill out another hole, but nice to get the right part out of the printer.

xnaron
Printmaster!
Posts: 165
Joined: Fri Mar 08, 2013 10:24 pm

Re: Xnaron Printable Magnetic u-joint option for Rostock Max

Postby xnaron » Sun Mar 16, 2014 1:38 pm

bdjohns1 wrote:Weird - I'll have to check - I was holding one of your parts up to xnaron's effector, and the holes didn't quite seem to line up. It was close - within a mm or two.

I like your cheapskate mount better since it's got holes for the end stop on both sides - geneb's guide has you installing the brackets on the right side (looking from the center out to each pillar), but xnaron's brackets only have a stop screw hole on the left. Not a big deal to have to drill out another hole, but nice to get the right part out of the printer.



It would be really easy to put one on the other side. The openscad source is on the github,
The Xnaron Project http://xnaron.com find me also on youtube http://youtube.com/xnaron

3D Printers: Behemoth, Xnaron Prusa Bumblebee, Xnaron Prusa, Jolly Roger, MG Prusa, Rostock Max

Find me on IRC: #reprap, #seemecnc

xnaron
Printmaster!
Posts: 165
Joined: Fri Mar 08, 2013 10:24 pm

Re: Xnaron Printable Magnetic u-joint option for Rostock Max

Postby xnaron » Sun Mar 16, 2014 1:51 pm

Here is mine with 2 endstop holes
Attachments
cheapskate_ballends_2endstop_v3.stl
(52.03 KiB) Downloaded 78 times
The Xnaron Project http://xnaron.com find me also on youtube http://youtube.com/xnaron

3D Printers: Behemoth, Xnaron Prusa Bumblebee, Xnaron Prusa, Jolly Roger, MG Prusa, Rostock Max

Find me on IRC: #reprap, #seemecnc

User avatar
joecnc2006
Printmaster!
Posts: 150
Joined: Tue May 14, 2013 11:42 am

Re: Xnaron Printable Magnetic u-joint option for Rostock Max

Postby joecnc2006 » Thu Mar 20, 2014 5:28 pm

How are the measurements for the arms and effector calculated, what are the base points, and/or triangulation points.

xnaron
Printmaster!
Posts: 165
Joined: Fri Mar 08, 2013 10:24 pm

Re: Xnaron Printable Magnetic u-joint option for Rostock Max

Postby xnaron » Thu Mar 20, 2014 5:36 pm

joecnc2006 wrote:How are the measurements for the arms and effector calculated, what are the base points, and/or triangulation points.



This is inside the configuration.h file for Repetier firmware. Best to view it in a text editor with fixed fonts.

Code: Select all

/*  =========== Parameter essential for delta calibration ===================

            C, Y-Axis
            |                        |___| CARRIAGE_HORIZONTAL_OFFSET
            |                        |   \
            |_________ X-axis        |    \
           / \                       |     \  DELTA_DIAGONAL_ROD
          /   \                             \
         /     \                             \    Carriage is at printer center!
         A      B                             \_____/
                                              |--| END_EFFECTOR_HORIZONTAL_OFFSET
                                         |----| DELTA_RADIUS
                                     |-----------| PRINTER_RADIUS

    Column angles are measured from X-axis counterclockwise
    "Standard" positions: alpha_A = 210, alpha_B = 330, alpha_C = 90
*/
The Xnaron Project http://xnaron.com find me also on youtube http://youtube.com/xnaron

3D Printers: Behemoth, Xnaron Prusa Bumblebee, Xnaron Prusa, Jolly Roger, MG Prusa, Rostock Max

Find me on IRC: #reprap, #seemecnc

User avatar
joecnc2006
Printmaster!
Posts: 150
Joined: Tue May 14, 2013 11:42 am

Re: Xnaron Printable Magnetic u-joint option for Rostock Max

Postby joecnc2006 » Sat Mar 22, 2014 5:17 pm

I load the Arms in Repetier Host and when I go to slice it I get this error. Does not matter what computer I use in the house I get the same error.

Capture.JPG


Now I got the same error on the Arm End but when I resized the file in Repetier Host to 1.05 it worked then.

Anyone have this problem?

User avatar
joecnc2006
Printmaster!
Posts: 150
Joined: Tue May 14, 2013 11:42 am

Re: Xnaron Printable Magnetic u-joint option for Rostock Max

Postby joecnc2006 » Sat Mar 22, 2014 7:58 pm

xnaron wrote:Here is mine with 2 endstop holes


It printed perfect, I took off one of the exiting mounts and the stubs on the back fit right into place of the two mounting holes. Great Job.

IMAG0459.jpg

User avatar
joecnc2006
Printmaster!
Posts: 150
Joined: Tue May 14, 2013 11:42 am

Re: Xnaron Printable Magnetic u-joint option for Rostock Max

Postby joecnc2006 » Sat Mar 22, 2014 10:44 pm

Almost Ready to install.

IMAG0461.jpg

xnaron
Printmaster!
Posts: 165
Joined: Fri Mar 08, 2013 10:24 pm

Re: Xnaron Printable Magnetic u-joint option for Rostock Max

Postby xnaron » Sat Mar 22, 2014 10:50 pm

joecnc2006 wrote:Almost Ready to install.

IMAG0461.jpg


Looks good Joe! Be careful with those magnets. They crack very easily. Don't let them snap together.
The Xnaron Project http://xnaron.com find me also on youtube http://youtube.com/xnaron

3D Printers: Behemoth, Xnaron Prusa Bumblebee, Xnaron Prusa, Jolly Roger, MG Prusa, Rostock Max

Find me on IRC: #reprap, #seemecnc

User avatar
Tinyhead
Printmaster!
Posts: 440
Joined: Thu Jan 23, 2014 11:44 pm
Location: Manitoba, Canada

Re: Xnaron Printable Magnetic u-joint option for Rostock Max

Postby Tinyhead » Wed Apr 02, 2014 11:00 am

Progress so far on my joints:

20140402_084652.jpg
Tore apart a few 6206 bearings to get the sweet sweet 3/8" balls within.


Used some JB Weld and added some weight to keep the balls pressed tight.

20140401_144905.jpg


I printed the arm holders... but had something funky happen. Maybe I had my wall thickness to big or something (never had the problem before), but it looks like it decided to only print the infill and not the outer layers!

20140402_065627.jpg


20140402_085004.jpg


There was only about 1/2 meter of filament left on the spool when I checked them this morning, so I'm wondering if the tightness of the spool curve was creating so much drag it was starving the extruder, or there was something wrong with my settings.

xnaron
Printmaster!
Posts: 165
Joined: Fri Mar 08, 2013 10:24 pm

Re: Xnaron Printable Magnetic u-joint option for Rostock Max

Postby xnaron » Wed Apr 02, 2014 11:06 am

The key to making sure the balls stick to the screws is to heat cure them. I stick them close to a desk lamp and let them heat up. They probably get to 70 or 80C.

As for the printing issue...I use kiss for slicing. I believe I was at 0.20 layer height and I set the number of loops to something high like 7. With these I try to avoid the infill. They are tricky to print right for sure.
The Xnaron Project http://xnaron.com find me also on youtube http://youtube.com/xnaron

3D Printers: Behemoth, Xnaron Prusa Bumblebee, Xnaron Prusa, Jolly Roger, MG Prusa, Rostock Max

Find me on IRC: #reprap, #seemecnc

User avatar
Tinyhead
Printmaster!
Posts: 440
Joined: Thu Jan 23, 2014 11:44 pm
Location: Manitoba, Canada

Re: Xnaron Printable Magnetic u-joint option for Rostock Max

Postby Tinyhead » Wed Apr 02, 2014 12:29 pm

I tried dropping the ball and screw and pulling and twisting and so far I haven't been able to make it budge. It's possible I've been lucky though. I scraped the balls where they're attached and used a dremel to round out the tops of the screws a bit hoping to give a better grip for the weld. I might try and see if I can physically weld a few together too.

Also, what I don't understand on my failed prints, is that the first 3/8" of the 'tube' part printed find. I haven't had a chance to check out your STL, but is the groove for the magnet slightly tighter, giving an ever so slightly thicker wall in that area?

User avatar
Nylocke
ULTIMATE 3D JEDDI
Posts: 1421
Joined: Sun Jun 23, 2013 1:43 pm
Location: Iowa

Re: Xnaron Printable Magnetic u-joint option for Rostock Max

Postby Nylocke » Wed Apr 02, 2014 1:08 pm

Looks like filament starvation, is that PLA? You should probably use ABS for the joints.

User avatar
joecnc2006
Printmaster!
Posts: 150
Joined: Tue May 14, 2013 11:42 am

Re: Xnaron Printable Magnetic u-joint option for Rostock Max

Postby joecnc2006 » Wed Apr 02, 2014 1:19 pm

I used the magnets with the Bearings, dipped the head in JB-Weld then attached the screw to the bearings, the magnet held them into place, Looks like you are using stainless cap screws so that would not work.
Then when they set a little bit I placed them in oven on 170° for 30 minutes it cured the JB-Weld then let sit for a few hours more (not the full 24 hrs), I can not pull the screws off the bearings at all.

I also got a 3/8" round nose bit and turned it by hand in the ends of the ABS Rod Ends and this took out any little differences in print and made the Bearings fully seat in the groves.

User avatar
Eaglezsoar
ULTIMATE 3D JEDDI
Posts: 7185
Joined: Sun Apr 01, 2012 5:26 pm

Re: Xnaron Printable Magnetic u-joint option for Rostock Max

Postby Eaglezsoar » Wed Apr 02, 2014 1:23 pm

joecnc2006 wrote:I used the magnets with the Bearings, dipped the head in JB-Weld then attached the screw to the bearings, the magnet held them into place, Looks like you are using stainless cap screws so that would not work.
Then when they set a little bit I placed them in oven on 170° for 30 minutes it cured the JB-Weld then let sit for a few hours more (not the full 24 hrs), I can not pull the screws off the bearings at all.

I also got a 3/8" round nose bit and turned it by hand in the ends of the ABS Rod Ends and this took out any little differences in print and made the Bearings fully seat in the groves.


I did the same principle that you did Joe but I found a 3/8" stone for a dremel and ran that down the Rod Ends, worked great but you have to be careful not to grind the bottom.

User avatar
Tinyhead
Printmaster!
Posts: 440
Joined: Thu Jan 23, 2014 11:44 pm
Location: Manitoba, Canada

Re: Xnaron Printable Magnetic u-joint option for Rostock Max

Postby Tinyhead » Wed Apr 02, 2014 3:45 pm

Nylocke wrote:Looks like filament starvation, is that PLA? You should probably use ABS for the joints.


Yeah, they're PLA. I'd love to use ABS, but I can't seem to get it to stick at all. I've tried everything except the hairspray as I haven't been able to find it yet.

Any particular reason you would use ABS instead? I find the joint feels smooth as silk with the PLA, and I can't imagine heat being an issue.

joecnc2006 wrote:I used the magnets with the Bearings, dipped the head in JB-Weld then attached the screw to the bearings, the magnet held them into place, Looks like you are using stainless cap screws so that would not work.
Then when they set a little bit I placed them in oven on 170° for 30 minutes it cured the JB-Weld then let sit for a few hours more (not the full 24 hrs), I can not pull the screws off the bearings at all.

I also got a 3/8" round nose bit and turned it by hand in the ends of the ABS Rod Ends and this took out any little differences in print and made the Bearings fully seat in the groves.


I'm going to try that. I was only able to get 6 done yesterday and none today so far, so it might speed things up a bit.

xnaron
Printmaster!
Posts: 165
Joined: Fri Mar 08, 2013 10:24 pm

Re: Xnaron Printable Magnetic u-joint option for Rostock Max

Postby xnaron » Wed Apr 02, 2014 4:01 pm

I recommend using PLA. It makes a better joint for this application. Use a mix of water and white elmers glue 10:1 and apply to a heated bed of about 50C with a foam brush in a thin layer. PLA will stick to this and will pop off easily when cooled.


Tinyhead wrote:
Nylocke wrote:Looks like filament starvation, is that PLA? You should probably use ABS for the joints.


Yeah, they're PLA. I'd love to use ABS, but I can't seem to get it to stick at all. I've tried everything except the hairspray as I haven't been able to find it yet.

Any particular reason you would use ABS instead? I find the joint feels smooth as silk with the PLA, and I can't imagine heat being an issue.




joecnc2006 wrote:I used the magnets with the Bearings, dipped the head in JB-Weld then attached the screw to the bearings, the magnet held them into place, Looks like you are using stainless cap screws so that would not work.
Then when they set a little bit I placed them in oven on 170° for 30 minutes it cured the JB-Weld then let sit for a few hours more (not the full 24 hrs), I can not pull the screws off the bearings at all.

I also got a 3/8" round nose bit and turned it by hand in the ends of the ABS Rod Ends and this took out any little differences in print and made the Bearings fully seat in the groves.


I'm going to try that. I was only able to get 6 done yesterday and none today so far, so it might speed things up a bit.
The Xnaron Project http://xnaron.com find me also on youtube http://youtube.com/xnaron

3D Printers: Behemoth, Xnaron Prusa Bumblebee, Xnaron Prusa, Jolly Roger, MG Prusa, Rostock Max

Find me on IRC: #reprap, #seemecnc

User avatar
Tinyhead
Printmaster!
Posts: 440
Joined: Thu Jan 23, 2014 11:44 pm
Location: Manitoba, Canada

Re: Xnaron Printable Magnetic u-joint option for Rostock Max

Postby Tinyhead » Wed Apr 02, 2014 5:21 pm

xnaron wrote:I recommend using PLA. It makes a better joint for this application. Use a mix of water and white elmers glue 10:1 and apply to a heated bed of about 50C with a foam brush in a thin layer. PLA will stick to this and will pop off easily when cooled.


I have no problem with PLA sticking. It's ABS that's got me running in circles. I even tried ABS juice and it won't even attempt to stick to the bed. Purple elmer's glue... no go. Gotta try the hairspray next. But anyway... it's getting off topic.

I've got about a week before my magnets arrive, so I'll toss on a new spool of PLA and try those holders again. This time I'll try it without infill as you mentioned xnaron. And I'll do a test of one joint first to make sure before I run the entire batch!

xnaron
Printmaster!
Posts: 165
Joined: Fri Mar 08, 2013 10:24 pm

Re: Xnaron Printable Magnetic u-joint option for Rostock Max

Postby xnaron » Wed Apr 02, 2014 5:26 pm

Tinyhead wrote:
xnaron wrote:I recommend using PLA. It makes a better joint for this application. Use a mix of water and white elmers glue 10:1 and apply to a heated bed of about 50C with a foam brush in a thin layer. PLA will stick to this and will pop off easily when cooled.


I have no problem with PLA sticking. It's ABS that's got me running in circles. I even tried ABS juice and it won't even attempt to stick to the bed. Purple elmer's glue... no go. Gotta try the hairspray next. But anyway... it's getting off topic.

I've got about a week before my magnets arrive, so I'll toss on a new spool of PLA and try those holders again. This time I'll try it without infill as you mentioned xnaron. And I'll do a test of one joint first to make sure before I run the entire batch!


Which slicer are you using and what is your nozzle size?
The Xnaron Project http://xnaron.com find me also on youtube http://youtube.com/xnaron

3D Printers: Behemoth, Xnaron Prusa Bumblebee, Xnaron Prusa, Jolly Roger, MG Prusa, Rostock Max

Find me on IRC: #reprap, #seemecnc

User avatar
Tinyhead
Printmaster!
Posts: 440
Joined: Thu Jan 23, 2014 11:44 pm
Location: Manitoba, Canada

Re: Xnaron Printable Magnetic u-joint option for Rostock Max

Postby Tinyhead » Wed Apr 02, 2014 9:02 pm

xnaron wrote:Which slicer are you using and what is your nozzle size?


Cura and stock .5mm

User avatar
Tinyhead
Printmaster!
Posts: 440
Joined: Thu Jan 23, 2014 11:44 pm
Location: Manitoba, Canada

Re: Xnaron Printable Magnetic u-joint option for Rostock Max

Postby Tinyhead » Thu Apr 03, 2014 11:41 pm

Nylocke wrote:Looks like filament starvation, is that PLA? You should probably use ABS for the joints.


It was filament starvation. Sitting there, the PLA would ooze from the nozzle, but as soon as I put pressure on it at the EZstruder... it would just jam up.

I've almost got my setup ready to go. I didn't have any 3/8 x 3/8" cylinder magnets, so I ended up using 3 x 3/8" short magnets and stacked them together. It ends up being .300" thick altogether, but the attraction feels pretty strong.

My rods are going to be aluminum, but I'm a bit worried about the weight that will be throwing around. I haven't found anyone local that carries 3/8 carbon tube and the ones online are a bit out of my price range. I've seen people use the archery arrow shafts, but I haven't found any that are 3/8. They all look to be around 5/16".

20140403_221724.jpg


20140403_221750.jpg


20140403_221803.jpg

User avatar
joecnc2006
Printmaster!
Posts: 150
Joined: Tue May 14, 2013 11:42 am

Re: Xnaron Printable Magnetic u-joint option for Rostock Max

Postby joecnc2006 » Fri Apr 04, 2014 12:51 am

try 3/8 wood dowels, or print the ones in the files.


Return to “Rostock MAX”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests