I'm currentlyy building a Metal Max from Trick Laser and I could use some suggestions.

Start your own build thread so others can see how it's going, and even help out!
sLpFhaWK
Printmaster!

I'm currentlyy building a Metal Max from Trick Laser and I could use some suggestions.

Postby sLpFhaWK » Mon Apr 03, 2017 9:25 pm

Good day everyone. I attended MRRF a couple weekends ago and I purchased a bunch of parts from Brian over at Trick Laser and I must say the quality is amazing. I'm currently building a Metal Max complete with all the fixings from Brian, and I am nearly complete but I hit a snag and I am seeking help from people who have assembled at least the frame and still kept it bowden.

I have a few choices when it comes to an extruder / hotend setup, these are my options.. Bondtech QR with an E3DV6 hotend or the new Titan Aero hotend which is a new AIO system.. It's quite fancy but it's so new there isn't any mounts for it yet, I do know MHackney is going to possibly design a mount for it so I could wait for that, but for the time being I did buy the Bondtech to use on it and I scoured the forum and found 2 mounts from people on their GitHub but I am not terribly fond of the way which they mount, so I was wondering if someone could show me their setup. I know lots of people use them on the wooden frame they got with their printer but sadly that mount won't work for me.

IEC320 C14 connector, there is a few ways to go about this but I was looking for a good solution, printing and designing a bracket isn't too difficult as MHackney sent me a quick sketch of one he mocked up but again, just looking for some photo's to see what others have done.

It's hard to imagine that Brian has a solution for 99% of the parts for the Rostock series, but no mounts for any extruder or the power plug. I did reach out to him on the contact page to see how he did it on his but no word from him yet.

Thank you for your time, and I look forward to seeing your photo's!

bvandiepenbos
Printmaster!

Re: I'm currentlyy building a Metal Max from Trick Laser and I could use some suggestions.

Postby bvandiepenbos » Tue Apr 04, 2017 1:36 pm

Hi, sorry I did not get your message from our contact form?
I have mounted the Titan and Bondtech extruder on the MAX Metal Frame with a simple flat aluminum bracket, see attached pics.

Mounting spool on a simple cross bar, like this...
http://www.tricklaser.com/MAX-METAL-Spo ... -SPOOL.htm

For the power entry I have not found anything I really like. I have used a small plastic box like this https://www.mcmaster.com/#7593k25/=171x0wz
or a simple inline rocker switch on the AC cord. :(
Some I mounted a IEC connector in the bottom electronics mounting plate, but that was a bit unhandy to reach switch under printer.
Some I have built used a ATX psu with switch and power cord plug on the psu.

I wish there was a clean and simple solution for the AC power in & fuse with the Meanwell style power supply.
20170404_113949.jpg
20170404_114858.jpg
20170404_114033_001.jpg
20170404_115138.jpg
~*Brian V.

RostockMAX v2 (Stock)
MAX METAL "ShortyMAX"
MAX METAL Rostock MAX Printer Frame
NEMESIS Air Delta v1 & v2 -Aluminum delta printers
Rostock MAX "KITT" - Tri-Force Frame
GRABER i3 "Slim"

bvandiepenbos
Printmaster!

Re: I'm currentlyy building a Metal Max from Trick Laser and I could use some suggestions.

Postby bvandiepenbos » Tue Apr 04, 2017 1:40 pm

I used this fused & switched power entry module...
https://www.digikey.com/product-detail/ ... -ND/417921
~*Brian V.

RostockMAX v2 (Stock)
MAX METAL "ShortyMAX"
MAX METAL Rostock MAX Printer Frame
NEMESIS Air Delta v1 & v2 -Aluminum delta printers
Rostock MAX "KITT" - Tri-Force Frame
GRABER i3 "Slim"

sLpFhaWK
Printmaster!

Postby sLpFhaWK » Tue Apr 04, 2017 8:36 pm

Hi Brian! Thanks for the reply, I don't have access to a machine shop (unless you count Mhackney as that haha) to make those sweet metal brackets, but I should just 3d print something similar and that should work for me.

I also have a regular Titan extruder I am currently using on my Kossel, that may get the Aero so I can decide between the BondTech or the Titan.

I'd like to give the Bondtech a shot though, I've heard nothing but great things.

forrie
Printmaster!

Postby forrie » Fri Apr 14, 2017 10:08 pm

Brian - what have you used to cover up the wires in the extrusion channels? Looks really neat and tidy.
I'm not an alcoholic...I'm Australian!

Return to “The Build Zone”