Little branches growing off my prints

Having a problem? Post it here and someone will be along shortly to help
teoman
ULTIMATE 3D JEDDI

Little branches growing off my prints

Postby teoman » Tue Sep 01, 2015 4:14 pm

I seem to have a problem with my printers configuration. I could not quite make out what it was.

I thought that it could be over extrusion so i lowered the extrusion rate, and i have increased the retract to 8mm.

WARNING HORRIBLE PRINTS:

BeltHolder.jpg

This part is a belt holder for a cartesian printer. For some reason there is a bend in the parts. It appears to be mechanical stress on one of the arms but i just opened and lubed the ujoints.

Rocket.jpg

This is supposed to be a rocket. But 2 of the overhangs are not that great, the surface is not uniform and there are some indentations in it. The growths can also be observed here.

Hold your breath how.

This is the worst part, it is 7.5 cm x 16 cm on the bed. It is supposed to have those holes but basically it is supposed to be 3 towers/walls. Everything that is in between is extra.

There are also several layers that are a bit different. And towards the top the layers are not stuck on together well, they peel off. When i found the print the next morning, it was still continuing but the extruder had cut the filament and it was printing in the air.
Box.jpg

My hotend is at 234 and my bed is set to 115 degs. (I doubt that the bed is the culprit). I have no layer fan and stock setup.

Any pointers welcome.
When on mobile I am brief and may be perceived as an arsl.

dajay23D
Printmaster!

Re: Little branches growing off my prints

Postby dajay23D » Tue Sep 01, 2015 5:12 pm

I have these exact same problem! From your print temp, assuming your printing ABS. I got rid of mine using extrusion rate and changing slicer. It happens a lot in MatterSlice. When I switch to KISSlicer, blobs went away. But KISS overhangs and bridging kinda sux. Won't print out as nice.
On mine, the ooze or whatever you call them form NOT during retraction. Usually before and after. I'm sure it's related to retraction somehow, but when it actually retracts, it's fine. Almost just comes out randomly. Maybe lowering print temp could help.

Jimustanguitar
ULTIMATE 3D JEDDI

Postby Jimustanguitar » Wed Sep 02, 2015 12:44 am

They're "ooze" blobs. Increase your retract a touch or lower your temperature. Some slicers have anti-ooze settings that you can tweak to tease these out.

BenTheRighteous
Printmaster!

Postby BenTheRighteous » Wed Sep 02, 2015 9:35 am

Make sure your slicer filament diameter matches your actual filament diameter. I've found that if you're overextruding, it builds up backpressure and retracts aren't nearly as effective, resulting in those finger things.
nitewatchman wrote:it was much cleaner and easier than killing a chicken on top of the printer.

teoman
ULTIMATE 3D JEDDI

Postby teoman » Fri Sep 04, 2015 5:44 pm

I have identified part of the problem to be linked to the filament not moving freely in the bowden tube.

I noticed some one else having the same problem (or atleast a partial part of my problem) so i posted things relevant over on that thread:

viewtopic.php?f=62&t=8947&p=75573#p75573
When on mobile I am brief and may be perceived as an arsl.

Return to “Troubleshooting”