It's developed a problem where it seems to be missing steps, potentially on the tower opposite the extruder. At this point, I am not able to complete hardly any prints, although it seems to fail at seemingly random points.
- First few layers usually seem to look good...sometimes a dozen layers or more are fine before it goes out of whack, and the level at which is fails does not seem to be consistent.
- Problem is consistent across three spools of ABS from two different vendors. SainSmart and Zen ToolWorks.
- I have re-leveled the bed a number of times, using a 1 layer thick spoked wheel to look for consistent first layer extrusion height with good line to line adhesion without too much smoosh. (I've never had great success with the "watch the gap" method.)
- I have disabled ALWAYS_CHECK_ENDSTOPS, to ensure it's not the EMI issues identified in other threads on this forum.
- I have checked the extruder, by telling in to extrude 10cm of plastic, and verifying extruded accuracy with calipers. G1E100F90
- I have tried with both a .4 and a .8 nozzle. (.8 is what I've used since upgrading to the E3D, but wanted to rule things out. .4 is current installed.)
- Fails both when sending via OctoPrint, as well as printing directly from SD card.
- The problem started happening shortly after I cleaned the bed...which may be pure coincidence.
- I use hairspray. Over time, spray tends to build up on things. Is there any specific parts I should try to remove and clean, or potentially replace?
Related to this issue, how do I access the stepper motors? I assume they are behind the blue acrylic panels, but I'm not sure how to remove those.
Regardless of this specific issue, is there any maintenance that should be performed on a printer with this many hours?
I NEED to get this resolved this week, to ship orders that depend on parts produced by this printer. I appreciate any help.