Octopi placing objects outside of print bed

Having a problem? Post it here and someone will be along shortly to help
Post Reply
dsl158
Printmaster!
Posts: 145
Joined: Thu Jun 18, 2015 6:53 pm

Octopi placing objects outside of print bed

Post by dsl158 » Sun Dec 18, 2016 12:28 am

All of a sudden octopi is placing objects on the out side of the bed Image

User avatar
rurwin
Printmaster!
Posts: 68
Joined: Sat Sep 24, 2016 10:43 am
Contact:

Re: Octopi placing objects outside of print bed

Post by rurwin » Sun Dec 18, 2016 10:26 am

Does it still print OK?

The latest update to OctoPrint now warns when the object is outside the print area. You can disable that in Settings->Features.

It gets that size from the Printer Profile, which I just checked and it is set to rectangular. There's also a setting for the position of the origin.

But...
"This information is used for the temperature tab, the bounding box check, the GCODE Viewer and/or when slicing from OctoPrint. It does NOT influence already sliced files that you upload to OctoPrint!"

It seems to me that your slicer assumed the origin was bottom-left.

User avatar
bubbasnow
ULTIMATE 3D JEDDI
Posts: 1064
Joined: Fri Aug 02, 2013 4:24 pm
Location: Dayton, WA

Re: Octopi placing objects outside of print bed

Post by bubbasnow » Sun Dec 18, 2016 4:31 pm

yea octorpint just pumps the gcode to the machine. so long as the slicer is configured correctly you should be golden.

dsl158
Printmaster!
Posts: 145
Joined: Thu Jun 18, 2015 6:53 pm

Re: Octopi placing objects outside of print bed

Post by dsl158 » Sun Dec 18, 2016 7:30 pm

bubbasnow wrote:yea octorpint just pumps the gcode to the machine. so long as the slicer is configured correctly you should be golden.

Is there anyway to like move it to the middle in octoprint?

dsl158
Printmaster!
Posts: 145
Joined: Thu Jun 18, 2015 6:53 pm

Re: Octopi placing objects outside of print bed

Post by dsl158 » Sun Dec 18, 2016 7:31 pm

rurwin wrote:Does it still print OK?

The latest update to OctoPrint now warns when the object is outside the print area. You can disable that in Settings->Features.

It gets that size from the Printer Profile, which I just checked and it is set to rectangular. There's also a setting for the position of the origin.

But...
"This information is used for the temperature tab, the bounding box check, the GCODE Viewer and/or when slicing from OctoPrint. It does NOT influence already sliced files that you upload to OctoPrint!"

It seems to me that your slicer assumed the origin was bottom-left.

It doesn't print well it's outside of the actual bed of the printer

IMBoring25
Printmaster!
Posts: 616
Joined: Wed Mar 18, 2015 1:11 am

Re: Octopi placing objects outside of print bed

Post by IMBoring25 » Mon Dec 19, 2016 12:16 am

Where are you doing your slicing? That looks like the Slic3r-in-MatterControl error.

dsl158
Printmaster!
Posts: 145
Joined: Thu Jun 18, 2015 6:53 pm

Re: Octopi placing objects outside of print bed

Post by dsl158 » Mon Dec 19, 2016 12:41 pm

IMBoring25 wrote:Where are you doing your slicing? That looks like the Slic3r-in-MatterControl error.

Yeah I'm slicing in matter control

IMBoring25
Printmaster!
Posts: 616
Joined: Wed Mar 18, 2015 1:11 am

Re: Octopi placing objects outside of print bed

Post by IMBoring25 » Mon Dec 19, 2016 12:47 pm

With the Slic3r slicing engine? That's your problem. Either use one of the other slicers bundled in MatterControl or download the standalone version of Slic3r (which will also give you a lot more options in Expert Mode). MatterControl's Slic3r integration has a bug and they don't seem interested in fixing it.

dsl158
Printmaster!
Posts: 145
Joined: Thu Jun 18, 2015 6:53 pm

Re: Octopi placing objects outside of print bed

Post by dsl158 » Mon Dec 19, 2016 7:19 pm

IMBoring25 wrote:With the Slic3r slicing engine? That's your problem. Either use one of the other slicers bundled in MatterControl or download the standalone version of Slic3r (which will also give you a lot more options in Expert Mode). MatterControl's Slic3r integration has a bug and they don't seem interested in fixing it.

Any recommendations on which I should use? I only use matter control because everything is already kinda ok settings wise.

User avatar
Xenocrates
ULTIMATE 3D JEDDI
Posts: 1561
Joined: Wed Sep 23, 2015 2:55 pm

Re: Octopi placing objects outside of print bed

Post by Xenocrates » Mon Dec 19, 2016 9:50 pm

just go to the settings and change the slicing engine to matterslice or cura
Machines:
Rostock Max V2, Duet .8.5, PT100 enabled E3D V6 and volcano, Raymond style enclosure
Automation Technology 60W laser cutter/engraver
1m X-carve router

Sic Transit Gloria Mundi
01-10011-11111100001

Post Reply

Return to “Troubleshooting”