I've got a Rostock MAX v2, built from a kit in Jan 2015 and since upgraded with injection molded cheapskates, ball-cup arms, an HE280 hotend with fan shrouds, the newer EZRstruder, and a 12v 30a industrial power supply. I love this big, beautiful bastard and it's served me well over the years.
Recently I've finally taken the time to really try and dial in my settings and get everything as perfect as possible. The one thing I can't seem to get rid of is this issue that seems to present itself as a micro layer shift or some sort of extrusion problem. I've attached a photo of the issue I'm seeing. I'm printing with Hatchbox White 1.75mm PLA at 210ºC, 40ºC bed temp, at a layer height of .15mm, line width of .4mm with a stainless steel .4mm nozzle, at 40mm/s for speed. Sliced with the latest version of Cura.
The first layer is going on smooth and adhering well to the bed with no ridges or anything. I've done several extrusion tests with the hollow 10x20x20 box and measuring with calipers I'm right on the money for what I expect. I realize 210 is on the the high side but out of all the retraction tests I did, the 210 print had the least amount of stringing, though very fine strings were still present. Stringing is another problem I've been having. No amount of temperature adjustment, retraction length/speed adjustment can get rid of it completely.
Things I've tried:
- Tightened belts
- Cleaned the tower tracks and cheapskates
- Fiddled with travel speed settings from 100 - 300mm/s
- I moved the filament spool from the stock hanger and placed it on little bearing tracks I printed as the swinging of the spool seemed to cause the whole frame to sway.
- I did check the HE280's ptfe tube for that common plug problem and it DID have a small .5mm plug on the end. I reseated with the recommended method of using a razor to cut the ptfe tube at 90º, loosening the top nut of the hotend two turns, shoving the tube in, and tightening it all back down. That helped reduce the issue somewhat, but it's still there.
- I got all my Tower endstop offsets under 10, previously my Z was very high, 100+.
Is there something I'm missing? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.